[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CONVINCING MOCKUPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5
File: Box-lift-2998x1998.jpg (713 KB, 2998x1998) Image search: [Google]
Box-lift-2998x1998.jpg
713 KB, 2998x1998
I'm not just talking about free psd files, I can dig that shit up myself. I'm trying to find any resources on how I might mockup physical product design and make it look like something that could be churned out of a print shop / factory.

I'm designing a brewery's visual identity right now for what's essentially my final design project for my undergrad. I'd like to make a physical six pack and maybe a larger size box to demonstrate how the design would look in real life. The problem I can't get around, however, is printing on cardboard. Does /gd/ know of any ways to print something out and then effectively adhere it to cardboard without looking like I took elmer's glue to printer paper? Any resources / guides would be really appreciated.

I'll dump some brewery related inspo in the meantime.
>>
Also legitimately considering stopping by the woodshop we (students) have access to and cutting out a simple tap handle with the logotype I designed on it.
>>
File: GrizzlyPeak_01_o.jpg (69 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
GrizzlyPeak_01_o.jpg
69 KB, 900x700
Side note: I feel like a type company could really cash in on updating Sport Script (pictured left, been around for ages). If only I had the skills... Maybe one day.
>>
File: sixPack_0001_o.jpg (604 KB, 1200x864) Image search: [Google]
sixPack_0001_o.jpg
604 KB, 1200x864
Underside of a six pack.
>>
>>262401
For a similar project, I measured out the dimensions of an Izze's four-pack, and then printed it on high-gloss sticker paper. It's not perfect, but it's probably the most cost-effective method you'll have.
>>
Find a printing company. I work for a shitty two employee company and we have a flatbed print that print on cardstock maybe you can find a local printing press that can aid you.
>>
>>262412

I'll look into this, even if I just get some for the first round and then try to professionally print it later as the next guy suggested.

>>262419

Any idea what a local printing company would charge a student for 2 large sheets of cardboard?
>>
>>262423
take an existing 6 pack box, unfold it so it is all one flat piece. Measure/trace the entire piece. Build a dieline in illustrator that matches it close as possible. Apply your art to it. Then take it to a local print shop or sign shop. It will probably cost under $100.

If you want spot varnishes or pantone colors, you'll have to go with a Prototype company. I use these places all the time for Packaging prototypes for customers. They will achieve production quality mock ups, however, they cost a small fortune.
>>
>>262739
edit: if you go with a sign shop, chances are they have a plotter on site that will be able to cut out your entire piece for you and will happen inline with the printing so there isn't really an additional cost on your end for cutting.
>>
>>262739

Thanks for the advice, man. I use Pantone colors, but they're all color bridge, so I'm assuming CMYK should be possible even if a few are lowered percentages in InDesign. I'll just have to match them the best I can.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.