[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Design novice here Do you think it is better to have a small
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3
File: just-my-type-03.jpg (137 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
just-my-type-03.jpg
137 KB, 650x487
Design novice here

Do you think it is better to have a small selection of classic fonts, or a large selection with something for every eventuality? How many typefaces do you have in your own collection and do you edit it regularly?

I feel like I'm accumulating a shitload of useless and ugly fonts that I'm never going to use or that I have too many that are similar and I'm not skilled enough yet to know the subtle differences. I need license free or otherwise cheap fonts and that is the problem. I can't afford to pay hundreds and hundreds for a single typeface. I downloaded a ton of classics off a torrent a while back to play around with but I can't use any of them commercially so I'm wondering if I should just delete the damn things now that I've decided to take things more seriously.

Also, best free and/or cheap fonts you can recommend for an aspiring GD'er?
>>
Small selection of classic fonts, having too many just fucks up the programs.
If you by chance would need something more exotic, then get something for that specific thing and delete it afterwards (you can keep the font files, to easily reinstall if you need to change it later)
If you do logos and want a unique font, I'd suggest drawing it by hand

About the licenses, you don't technically need the license as long as your client pays for the actual use. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
>>
>>261677

thanks

I'm thinking to begin with I'll just stick to Open Type and maybe buy 6-10 regular/light weights of other nice affordable type. I can try it on with clients as and when I guess

Also, and this may be a stupid question, but are all the typefaces bundled with Mac free for commercial use? This copyright shit is quite confusing
>>
File: fonts.jpg (456 KB, 1264x2391) Image search: [Google]
fonts.jpg
456 KB, 1264x2391
>>261675
my free fonts :)
>>
>>261685
also, I have tons of commercial fonts (pirated)

some advices:
-learn the classification of typefaces
-learn some font-related history
-try harder to see those subtle differences

then download a new fonts only if:
-it's a classic one
-it's recommended by a source you trust
-you REALLY need it for a project
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.