[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating Backgrounds for Animation in Photoshop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5
File: 20150803_015122.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150803_015122.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Hey /gd/ I've been working on an idea for an animation and we're now in the Production process of the first episode. I'm going to be doing the backgrounds but I'm not very good at drawing, especially in Photoshop.

I'm looking for any advice that will help me effectively tailor my creativity and productivity in Photoshop. Are there any tutorials you would recommend? Brush packs? Coloring? Layering? Really any advice will do as I'm a writer/audio engineer who is just getting into visual aspects.

Pic slightly unrelated (My first attempt at drawing a head portrait on paper).
>>
File: 1456515943675.jpg (25 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
1456515943675.jpg
25 KB, 500x504
>>260292
>I'm going to be doing the backgrounds but I'm not very good at drawing
>any advice
Draw every fucking day till you get good at it.
Photoshop is a tool, not sorcery.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 575x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 575x1024
>>260300
This.
Ever heard of a thousand hours?

Some people are born to fucking draw and others learn to paint masterpieces by drawing and drawing until they reach that stature. I personally think I have a natural talent for drawing but never practiced or tried honing the skill because it was never really my interest growing up. Now that I'm older and want to start animating my ideas I realized how stupid I was. If I took drawing seriously since I was young I feel like I could've been so good.

So just draw op. Art is something creative and not really technical. My opinion on your drawing is that it is not that good but if you keep at it you can be good. Don't give up. It's funny because as I'm giving you this advice I'm subconsciously giving it to myself.
>>
>>260300
>>260302
>Just draw.

Got it. This might a stupid question, but where is a good place to start pertaining to settings and backgrounds? As you can see in my drawing I have a hard time with perspective and continuity and it shows even more so when I'm not drawing people. When it comes to writing, this animation is my pride and joy and I'd practice for a million hours to make it look perfect, its just that when I start trying to draw I feel so overwhelmed by it, like every line is a mistake that keeps messing me up more and more and it makes it so hard to finish things like that. Sorry for the rambling if you guys are even still here. I guess I just really don't know where to start.
>>
File: time squad bg by biskup.jpg (328 KB, 1280x842) Image search: [Google]
time squad bg by biskup.jpg
328 KB, 1280x842
>>260313
>where is a good place to start pertaining to settings and backgrounds? (...) I have a hard time with perspective
Well... it really depends on what style you are going for, but in your place, I wouldn't be minding perspective that much if it gives you a hard time, take another aproach to it.
Take a look at backgrounds from old cartoons like the pink panther, they didn't really care about perspective, it's just a matter of style. Tim Biskup's work (pic related) is a modern example of this.
Another good example of taking a different direction is Tyrus Wong and his quasi-abstract backgrounds. I remember watching a short documentary about his work on Bambi which was really nice (I think it came as a DVD extra).

>this might give you more ideas on different ways to tackle the problem
>https://www.reddit.com/r/BackgroundArt/

>>>/ic/ might be more helpful than /gd/ for this.
Good luck OP
>>
File: zfgzdfg.jpg (101 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
zfgzdfg.jpg
101 KB, 500x500
>>260313
>every line is a mistake that keeps messing me up more and more and it makes it so hard to finish things like that
Forgot to reply to this part.
That might seem as a problem but you can actually profit from it. Here's what I do.
>Grab a red pencil and sketch the basic outline/basic shapes. It will be dirty. If you need a circle, draw 5 on top of each other till one looks right.
>Grab a blue pencil and try to define the shapes and add some detail. Again, dirty as fuck. There will be 6 lines where there should be one, but one of those lines will have a nice flow.
>Grab a black pencil and draw over the lines that matter (research "line of action" you can find Preston Blair's pdf on google).
>Put that on a light-table and ink the final drawing.

It might be a longer process, but trial and error (all those messy lines) will shed good and unexpected results.
>>
>>260321
>>260327
I'll look into everything you suggested and try taking a different approach to my backgrounds as well. Thanks for your time and suggestions anon. I'll keep practicing.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.