[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey guys, a little while ago i posted here about making my first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: projctposter.jpg (70 KB, 576x720) Image search: [Google]
projctposter.jpg
70 KB, 576x720
hey guys, a little while ago i posted here about making my first ever poster fr my first ever assignment for my first ever print design class. i ended up jerking off for most of the week and only completing in the day it was due.

Teacher hasnt seen it yet so im here asking for your guys' opinion. Is this a fail? I know i couldve done better with the photoshop but i was running out of time (i know thats not an excuse)
>>
>>259430
Quite possible the worst thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>259432
really? :(
>>
>>259434
Yeah, it's pretty bad.
>>
>>259439
i mean, what do you think i couldve done to make it better?

>inb4 everything
>>
>>259441
Everything.
>>
Please tell me you haven't had any classes in graphic design or typography before this because if you have, Jesus. Alot of things are wrong here, the font you chose, the upscaled pixelated background, that really strange wave like text that looks like its been ripped from a 5 year olds Powerpoint presentation, the color of the black text and how it blends into the background way to much and is barely visible. This doesnt just look like something someone just slapped together at the last minute, it also looks like it was made by someone who has no idea what they are doing.
>>
lmao this is obviously a troll
>>
>>259461
no, i havent had any classes in any of those things. print design is the first computer arts class ive ever taken.

is the wave typography too much? what font do you think wouldve been better? should i have just done all the text in white then?

>it also looks like it was made by someone who has no idea what they are doing.

basically desu senpai
>>
>>259479
You shouldn't worry then if this is your first class, youll learn in time.
>>
whats the thing about americans getting to choose whatever irrelevant subjects they want in college.
is this what you wanna do(i guess not since you seem to have no clue at all about art/design) or is this just some course to get points for whatever.
education system in murrica is fckd up bad.
every course should teach you the basics of what you have to give in at the end. so either you just never listened, are quite dumb and untalented or your college is a shithole.
5/10 troll raged a little
>>
>>259481
i mean, this class only started like a month ago so i guess they didnt get to the typography elements yet.all we've done so far is tool around with illustrator and in design, but yeah im in a community college and american public education is pretty shit desu. i think my teacher said that next class we're gonna dissect the project and learn about the principles of design and how they do or dont relate to what we made. so maybe i'll learn about all this stuff then.

>5/10 troll raged a little

no troll, desu no ones is born being great at this stuff. i fully admit i suck but ive never done anything like this before. this is basically the first thing ive ever done. if ur not gonna criticize contsructively then dont even say anything at all meanie :(
>>
>>259441
imo, the event name should be the biggest headline, nothing else should be bigger.

the event name needs to stand out, right now So Pitted blends in with the background too much. Try putting it in white.

Create padding around the boundaries of your document where text should not go. this padding size should be at least 10% of your width/height.

Balance the placement of your objects. Right now you have a large object at the top centered, then you have an equally as large area of text sitting to the left, then a small area of text at the bottom mostly centered/left. Which makes this visual elements of this very LEFT heavy. Try to imagine your document is balancing on top of a marble, and the visual elements represent weight... you want the document to be balanced perfectly straight on that marble, you don't want it to tip to one side.
>>
>>259483
look
if one chooses to get into a creative field, you should atleast expect that he has done stuff to practice and informed himself about simple basics.
it`s wrong to think this is a subject like anyother
where you go to college and learn it.
most of the time you will be alone in your studys and works. at least 50% is self-initiative.
and if you say you ended up jerking off most of your time you should consider another subject since you wont come far with this motivation and you wont learn this kind of attitude.
i mean look at your colors and typography. even someone who is not interested and artistic can see that this is utter shit.
if you lack this much in self-evaluating i think you shouldnt even consider college at all..
>>
>>259484
yeah i guess i was hesitant to put stuff to the right because i didnt want the text to eclipse the wave/surfer dude. But i guess i couldve worked it out if i put it in the top-ish right or lower right. will keep in mind the padding too. thx anon
>>
>>259485
your kind of a dick anon, how about you post your very first project up here and we can all shit on it and tell you to give up? i already know i suck and all youre doing is rubbing salt in the wound. like i said, you can be contsructive or you can go to any of the other threads on /gd/ or you can even *gasp* go outside. literally be anywhere but here if youre gonna be like that
>>
>>259430
before i explain why it's bad, why don't you try to tell me why it's good?
>>
>>259503
well honestly, im not a big fan of it myself. but i guess what im most "proud" of is the general idea of the so pitted flyer having a dude wiping out, and having him in color while the waves and everything else is black and white. i know that the photoshop is sloppy and the picture is pixelated, but we were sort of forced to expand the picture to 300 and most pictures i was looking for were 72, so it looks super pixelated afterwards. we also needed to use a filter, and im thinking i used the wrong one.

i also thought using photoshop to make maxwell's into a wave form sort of went with the surf vibe, but i guess i was tripping.

I'll be going back to school to rework in like an hour so if you can provide tips and insight id really appreciate it senpai
>>
>>259508
alright, here's what i'll tell you:
don't use a dark text on a dark background
structure your text properly (google event posters, you'll notice the best ones have cohesive structure to them)
the wavy text idea is lame, you should probably scrap it
your idea for desaturating the background and highlighting the surfer could be interesting, although you're right that your photo is trash quality
the colours of the surfer aren't vibrant enough
>>
>>259483
>i mean, this class only started like a month ago so i guess they didnt get to the typography elements yet
>no troll, desu no ones is born being great at this stuff.

well t b h if you're over 8 years old, not completely retarded and have ever left the house you should recognize that that poster is fucking atrocious. I don't want to sound like an asshole but it's true. Literally nothing about it is even mediocre. If you want to get into a crative field you should get used to honest feedback.
Are you studying some kind of art at a university level? what kind of backround do you have?
>>
>>259430
Op your poster is so bad it's good.
>>
File: santapitted%27.jpg (3 MB, 2550x3301) Image search: [Google]
santapitted%27.jpg
3 MB, 2550x3301
hey guys, so i tried to rework my poster but the files are on my teachers computer, cant get em from the school library. instead i made a new one with the same basic idea. i know the text colors are retarded, i just left em like that because i couldnt figure out which colors to set them. this background is black and white in alot of odd places, so black and white text blends with it at times. i just chose red and green zud rad santa. also, i was having trouble arranging the text in a coherent way without it getting in the way of anything. hoping you guys could help me out with that

what do you guys think? better? worse?
>>
>>259519
uh..yeah that's totally what i was going for
>>
>>259514
>i dont want to sound like an asshole
>proceeds to sound like an asshole

like i said, i dont care if you spit at me as long as you also tell me how i can do better. if all youre gonna do is talk shit then just gtfo my thread.
>>
>>259519
I agree with the first half of that statement.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.