[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help in Cubist Style
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4
File: cubist.jpg (2 MB, 3300x3644) Image search: [Google]
cubist.jpg
2 MB, 3300x3644
Hey guys! I'm really into board and card games, i own a few (Love Letter, Coup, Munchkin and others).

The thing here is, i'm now making my own game and i need some help with the cards. I want a simple art, nothing with too much detail. I found this image on the web and i was trying to do the same with some other pictures with no success.

So i was wondering if you guys could help me, and maybe some of you know how to make images like this, all cubist and colorful.

I'm on Illustrator CS6.
>>
File: 1445027781567.jpg (344 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445027781567.jpg
344 KB, 1920x1200
>>252502
fellow board/card game enthusiast here.
there are several aproaches to achieve that style.
what I would do is to use dmesh or some other software intended for poly art
http://dmesh.thedofl.com/
and simply recolor/erase some of the polygons
>>
>>252526

Thanks dude, i'll check it out.
It seems to be exactly what i need.
>>
File: WPAP-Method-for-Low-Poly.jpg (81 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
WPAP-Method-for-Low-Poly.jpg
81 KB, 960x960
>>252526
Well... it's not what i expected.
I'll try to improve this. I think i've put to much detail when all i had to do was to be simple.
>>
>>252502
it's done by hand, not filtered/traced. you make a colour palette of your choice and block out key shapes with it, using colours for the shape that makes sense for its value. in your example you can see they used yellow to show shadow and green to show deeper shadows within the yellow.

Your yellow girl looks like it's on the right track. you need to greatly reduce the number of shapes, though. Example in OP uses black to get all the small details, outlines, and major shadows so the remaining colours can be more simple and don't have to do as much work (as you can see happened in the eyes of your yellow girl)

Also, besides reducing the number of shapes, reduce the number of sides each one has. In your example you can see each one is quite simple and angular, a few straight lines (besides the hair)
>>
File: wpap_final.jpg (233 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
wpap_final.jpg
233 KB, 600x800
>>252584
Yeah, thanks for the advice. I just found a tutorial by Wedha Abdul Rasyid, who is the father of this style. I'll try another one in a few days, this one gave me too much work.

But i'll focus on that. Reduce both the number of polygons and polygons sides.

Image related: Wedha Abdul Rasyid tutorial result.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.