[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: pencil-typography-black-design.jpg (6 MB, 4681x3121) Image search: [Google]
pencil-typography-black-design.jpg
6 MB, 4681x3121
No growth in current studio so I want to take some stuff i've design for the company and put them up on behance, etc. Asked my boss and he refused, even the rejected studies. I asked my other friends in the field, they said he's wrong and as long as I don't claim it as mine, I could add it in my portfolio discreetly.

What action should I take?

Also what is more in demand nowadays? UX/UI design, motion design or web design? Or is UX/UI basically under web or something
>>
>>251934
the designs are property of your boss company, start working on your portfolio on the side i once heard the same thing from a 3D guy at a talk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZPLzcT1AL4
>>
File: sdf.jpg (178 KB, 1694x947) Image search: [Google]
sdf.jpg
178 KB, 1694x947
Get into web a sell on envato market, best move I have ever made, design and build what I want, work the hours I want. Might be a large learning curve if you haven't done any web

pc related: current project, cafe/restaurant woocommerce theme
>>
>>251945
This, depends on your contract but like 99% of the time in creative fields like this everything you do on company time is legally the intellectual property of the company.
>>
>>251945
>>252053
fug son, so I can't even add it in a private portfolio even with disclosure saying "property of the company but I made it"?

I don't even have a renewed contract since probation and it's been 2 yrs+ now.

>>252049
Thanks senpai, I'll look into it

What other skills are wanted now besides web?
>>
>>252058
In my world people that can mock up pixel perfect web templates on a 12 column grid that also includes mobile/tablet portrait and landscape views, well presented and layered PSD's you can also make good coin on these on envato, designing retina ready icon sets?, idk there's heaps of shit to do to help out and make coin from, you can't rely on clients alone
>>
start recording tutorial vids of you making it and throw them up instead
>>
File: tumblr_mhenn0Hc8J1qjbnsxo1_500.jpg (162 KB, 500x723) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhenn0Hc8J1qjbnsxo1_500.jpg
162 KB, 500x723
>>252049
>envato market

is it your main source of income? does it pay off that well?
>>
>>252238
typically if the company owns the rights to the art, that would also include the work product that leads up to the final art.

>>252058
what does your old contract say? it probably has terms for the life of the contract and what it entails, even after it has expired.

regardless, a good rule of thumb is that you don't have the right to use the files in created at the company in your portfolio. On your website I'd suggest showing what brands you've worked on instead... you will probably get away with it in your private portfolio if you showed it to them in person. Maybe even a private link, but i would do that sparingly.
>>
>>252334
yup, that's the plan, private links for the projects ive worked on for the company

I've highlighted the points of interest from said contract:
>EMPLOYER agrees to employ EMPLOYEE on probation status under the terms and
conditions of this contract.
>“Confidential Information” that is exclusive and proprietary to EMPLOYER.
“Confidential Information” as defined here includes, but is not limited to: client lists,
business contacts, business and financial information related to clients, sales and
marketing materials, practices, processes, systems, business methods and procedures,
documentation, whether technical or non-technical, charts, drawings, creative materials,
scripts, short stories, films, videos, musical works, designs, photographs, ad copy and
other literary or artistic works.
EMPLOYEE shall hold and treat all Confidential Information in the strictest confidence
and shall not publish nor disclose it to any third party. EMPLOYEE shall not make use
the Confidential Information for any purposes other than those specified in sections 2.1,
2.2, and 2.3.

I haven't had the opportunity to reach out to our clients either, everything goes through an account manager so I've no idea how to look for freelance jobs. I'm really shit at networking
>>
>>252436
>I haven't had the opportunity to reach out to our clients either
I can guarantee there is something in your contract that prevents you from doing that.
>>
>>252436
I can tell because you're trying to contact company clients as a freelancer and burn a bridge by posting work online your contract says you cannot, lol. Unless section 2.1, 2.2, or 2.3 say otherwise

There is probably a non-compete type clause or section in your employment contract that forbids you from stealing clients or urging co-workers to jump ship with you. Even if there's not, a client will probably not be interested because they've been dealing with your company from the sounds of it, not you. They'd only hire you over your company if they really liked you and hated the company
>>
>>252452
>>252597
Haven't read anything like that but it's a moot point and I worded it wrongly. I've no interest in stealing my company's clients at all but I'm hoping to make connections as in Person A knows Person B who needs a freelancer or something.

Mostly I just need projects to fill up my portfolio so when I look for work elsewhere, I have something to show. Would it be strange to have my portfolio just consist of self-initiated work?
>>
>>252601
Nope, that's what many are if you pay attention. Your actual resume can include your relevant places of work, many professionals understand you cannot post work your employer owns. Unless your clients are Nike or Disney, people are not usually looking for the name of the client but are skimming the visuals for things they like.
>>
>>252603
Ah shit I'm retarded. Thanks though, that's a load off my back.
>>
If the design allows, why not just blur out the company logo. Potential clients would still be able to see your layout, typography and other design skills.
>>
>>252246
dam good pic son
>>
Sup, I do not want to create a separate thread.
Urgently need a laptop for the development of mobile UI and may be websites.Limited to finance therefore potentially consider a model with 1366x768 displays. Will there be enough for my problem or you strongly recommended to take a laptop with at least FHD display?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.