[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts, /gd/? http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho me/2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
Thoughts, /gd/?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160108005821/en/Mello-Yello-Mello

I personally think it's kinda shit. Considering it's been my favorite soft drink for a long time, this really flared up my autism. They could have just "modernized" the 2010 logo and it would have been perfect. The 2010 logo was calm, yet vibrant and playful, and its a throwback to the 70s logo to boot. It perfectly matched the drink itself. Pic related looks like some kind of bitter energy drink. Do they really think people are going to recognize the huge-ass black-on-yellow "M Y" as mello yello from a distance? What is the M Y supposed to look like? Why are they so connected? Whoever was in charge of this rebrand is a dipshit.

There's also the marketing. In the years since the 2010 rebrand, they've done a COMPLETE 180 in terms of desired audience. Their initial target with the 2010 rebrand was the tumblr hipster stereotype that listened to vinyl records and loved all things "retro". This was the perfect counter to mountain dew's marketing toward skaters and leet gamers and shit, and again, it completely matched the drink itself. They just didn't capitalize on it enough. If they're trying to compete with mtn dew, then why don't they actually try to learn a thing or two from pepsico's advertising, and other food/beverage companies that actually do advertising WELL? Develop a larger social media presence, become more involved with your audience, hire somebody to shitpost on twitter/tumblr for your company (a la Denny's, Taco Bell), pull another Xbox Mtn Dew thing, i don't give a shit. But who are they marketing it to now? Sports (not just any sports, RACING) fans and manly men; the kind of audience that listens to pop country. I'm not kidding.
>>
File: Mello_Yello_2010.png (279 KB, 1000x960) Image search: [Google]
Mello_Yello_2010.png
279 KB, 1000x960
2010 logo. In around 2013, however, they added some kind of silver border around the text that threw the whole thing off.
>>
>>250771
i like the logo, but it does not fit a soda. it's too collegiate sports team. the colors may have something to do with that though.

it's a very strong/bold logo, but sterile and refined. it just does not fit for something that should emphasize fun, enjoyment, good times...
>>
>>250775
My thoughts exactly
>>
>>250775
i feel like it would be perfect for a professional brand sports drink
but it isent very mellow, it makes me think of bumblebee from the transformers
>>
>>250771
I think you hit the nail right on the head with this, new design isn't really mellow nor 'citrusy'
>>
I think theyre going for the energy drink crowd. It's a great logo actually, better than just helvetica.
>>
>>251219
Yeah, but not suited for the drink itself. The one thing that irks me more than anything else is the almost-connected "MY". Is it supposed to look like something?
>>
Who cares. Let that shitty drink die off already. It's literally worse in taste than any other citrus soda and has an obscene amount of sugar.
>>
File: 1422312871161.jpg (88 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
1422312871161.jpg
88 KB, 569x802
>>251527
literal faggot detected. mtn dew is a meme drink and sun drop tastes like sour candy.
>>
>>250771
I don't know what this is (I can guess it's an energy drink), but the design is top notch.
>>
>>250771
compared to the other logo. it is very industrial. you may get the new logo more if you're into Techno music.
>>
>>250771
it looks like trash from 99 designs desu

They obviously didn't care to retain any product recognition, not that their previous 1960s style brand image had much worth retaining.
>>
File: 1448087143429.png (418 KB, 448x468) Image search: [Google]
1448087143429.png
418 KB, 448x468
I love drinking Y3
>>
>sigma lambda
>>
File: 1452347997345.jpg (119 KB, 919x596) Image search: [Google]
1452347997345.jpg
119 KB, 919x596
>>251663
Do you always write your "y"s backwards?
>>
>>251795
>>251663

And your 3's?
>>
>>251663
I read it as EX, I thought it was something to do with deus ex, it looks more dystopian industrial future than fun sugary drink
>>
What is sigma lambda
>>
>>250771
>this really flared up my autism
You sure it wasn't the fact that you like Mellow Yellow over Mt. Dew like an autist?
>>
>>252207
>implying mtn. dew has that smooth taste that I desire
>drinking a literal meme soda
>>
You school kiddies are so fucking weird.

This is fantastic branding. Modern, clean, simple, iconic and versatile.

"it looks like a sports drink or energy drink" - OK show me a sports or energy drink it's similar to.... I'll wait.

End game of this post is that you guys have been conditioned to critique where no critique is needed, I guess you need to justify your tuition somehow right?

See you in the real world, have fun getting your rigid code of design fucked inside out by the world of money and business.
>>
>>252860
bait
>>
>>252860
kek/10
>>
>>250771
>http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160108005821/en/Mello-Yello-Mello
This is really bad and I'd be surprised if it lasts very long. As others have said, it looks like they're trying to position it as an energy drink but in doing so they've lost all sense of taste that a product like this needs.
It's very difficult to pull of a revolutionary design like this at the best of times. I can only imagine sales are way down for them to even contemplate doing it. The trouble is they've made it look hard and scientific instead of fun and refreshing, while throwing out an established colour palette that its audience recognises.
Bad move, Coca Cola!
>>
>>252860
Modern and clean and nicely designed it may be but it now fails in its one goal - to communicate what the product is.
By conforming to fashionable design trends they've instantly created something with a short shelf life. By ditching almost everything about the brand bar the yellow they've stripped out all their brand assets, showing that they're not a brand who are confident to be who they are but a brand who are unsure of themselves and will go whichever way the wind blows to build an audience. Sadly for them, this is an approach that never works.
>>
that drank looks grimy
>>
>>250771
Anything that reminds me of Jet Set Radio Future is okay in my book.
>>
>>250771
>a COMPLETE 180 in terms of desired audience.

I guess that's it in a nutshell. Someone decided the brand needed re-positioning and resigned it. I don't mind it really but I guess that's probably because I have no attachment to the brand either.
>>
>>250771
Honestly, I think that looks fantastic, for some 'sigma lambda' futuristic electrolyte drink.
>>
>>250771
>Σλ
What
>>
surge>meme yello desu
>>
>>250771
Older logo (>>250772) was better imo.

However the true fluke of the beverage industry has yet to be unveiled... I work for Pepsi for my living and yesterday we had a meeting on the new items that will be released this year.

Most were solid but once again, they have found a way to degrade the Sierra Mist logo. It's honestly cringey how 'urban' and 'hip' they tried to make it look.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.