[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this OK?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: GP.jpg (213 KB, 961x586) Image search: [Google]
GP.jpg
213 KB, 961x586
Is this OK?
>>
Seeing the word "Pig" that thin after the word gluttonous is throwing me off.
>>
>cannibalism
>>
>>250551
I agree that the "pig" word needs to be beefed up a tad, but my main critique is that the pig is very stiff and awkward looking.

I recommend scrapping this swine, and starting fresh on his look. Use more circles when you pencil the mascot, don't connect the lower lid into a full circle, and give him a neck!
>>
>>250561
>>250572

Understood.

>>250562
Clients request had a pig eating bacon, I softened the blow as much as I could.

>>250572
I'm too shit at cartooning to try this one again, but I'll keep it in mind for future projects.
>>
>>250551
The pig looks more serial killer than happy.
Maybe make the eyebrows more round and lose the eyelids
>>
Hey guys I wanted to know something. I've been designing for about three years now , and now I am ready to step it up .o have a customer who wants me to create a website for him not only does he want me to design it but he also wants for me to get the domain name and the host . He is paying for all of this that's not the problem the problem is . How much should I charge him ? I mean it's a website from scratch plus I have to do research on what he wants . So finally what is a good price to charge ?
>>
>>250551
the name sucks and the pig looks insane
>>
Pigs gotta chill with the smile and then your good
>>
>>250551
IMO the pig should look less like he wants to eat me

more of a "I just ate so much I'm so happy even though I can't move" kind of look, you know?
>>
The pig needs some re-working, especially the face. The bacon also needs a re-work.

Basically the level of abstraction/symbolification is not high enough, there is too much detail in the illustration. The rest of the pig and the sign is mostly fine, I think, except for the thin PIG font others have already pointed out.
>>
Is this supposed to be a logo?

If so, it's a total failure. WAY too complicate. The typography sucks. The pig looks insane.

Don't copy but look for some god damned inspiration. Make is SIMPLE. A logo should be able to reproduced in black and white and retain it's clarity. It should be reproduced, with clarity at any scale, big or small. It should look GOOD.

https://dribbble.com/search?q=pig+bbq
>>
Holy shit this sucks huge dick. Like.... I can't even. You suck incredibly huge dicks. Your skill is zero.
>>
>>251033
Generally I agree with you that a logo needs to be simple and be able to be reproduced in black and white, retain good quality at a small size etc.. But in some cases it doesn't; if it's only for a diner where the logo is going to be produced on a sign, possibly an apron and a menu it's not necessary to be able to fit the logo on a pencil.
>>
>>251096
It's future proofing. It's best practice. This is WAY too complex. You should at least do a smaller version with less detail.
>>
>>251180
Also for the record, "piggybacking" (ahahahaha...) with
>This is WAY too complex
A mascot isn't a logo. A mascot supports a brand and it's logo/trademarks.
Otherwise, McDonalds would be solely Ronald, and not the more iconic, simple and easily reproducible double arch.
>>
>>251033
>>251096
>>251180
>>251242
OP here.

Yeah it's a mascot and graphics for a food truck, these guys won't ever need a logo.

I guess I didn't realize how bad it was, oh well it's sold.
>>
File: flcn.jpg (50 KB, 901x420) Image search: [Google]
flcn.jpg
50 KB, 901x420
If you guys want to continue to tear me down - here's something I cooked up on a slow day at the office.
>>
>>251279
Well, seeing as many chefs see a food truck as the first step to a brick and mortar location, often with the same name, it's not ridiculous to judge your graphic as a logo.

>>251281
Hoo boy. I'm indifferent to it, but I can expect some really unpleasant name calling to come from this.
The only questions I'll raise are these: why is the falcon's beak shaped like a song bird's beak, and why is it's head white like an eagle?
>>
>>250551
what do you mean by OK? do you think it looks too absurd? the type seems to work but the character is a little over the top. Might work to separate the two and use them in unique instances. have some contrasting play between the two items.
>>
>>251283
Thanks for the insight, I adjusted the beak to make it more predatory. In terms of the white, well it's built out of the negative space so it is what it is.

Going back to the Pig, these guys are selling bacon based flyover slop out of a trailer on the road... If they do how ever, need something reproducible in tiny sizes the copy plus swirly curls work as a typographic logo.
>>
File: gp2.jpg (79 KB, 627x447) Image search: [Google]
gp2.jpg
79 KB, 627x447
>>251295
>>
>>251297
100 times better without the drop shadow and wood fence lines, boarder, and mascot. Works in reverse, too.
It's insane how more attractive this suddenly got, even with the swirls.
>>
>>251291

The client requested "a pig eating bacon" - this was my attempt at a happy medium, lackluster as it is.

>>251299
Yep it works overall, but design doesn't exist in a vacuum, there are prerequisites on a lot of jobs. I'm not going to talk my way out of, or bow out of a project on principle, I like the extra money.
>>
File: gpredux.jpg (126 KB, 1340x688) Image search: [Google]
gpredux.jpg
126 KB, 1340x688
So I went ahead and started over with the pig and stripped out most of the graphics, here's the new result, I like it a lot more. Thanks for the critique guys.
>>
>>251650
lurker here

i think the cartoony pig makes it look more like a kids tv show. I'm assuming this is suppose to be for a restaurant.

I like what you've done with the type. however the lettering for "gluttonous" seems to be pretty jagged. It does allow for a 'branding iron' sort of logo theme, which could work well if it were a bbq/smokehouse type of restaurant. But i'm not sure if that's the case.

either way, I think the pig should be in one solid color if you are going to use one as a symbol to go along with the type for a logo. if you keep the full color pig in the logo that will force them to us 4 color process every time they want to put their logo on something. what if it needs to be etched, screened, stamped, embroidered, etc?
>>
>>251657
This is for a food trailer that serves "bacon inspired dishes" in the southwest. (blarg how trashy)

I appreciate the input on the color options, the customer really wants a cartoon, we'll see what they say.
>>
File: maincharactersketches_1.jpg (185 KB, 752x1000) Image search: [Google]
maincharactersketches_1.jpg
185 KB, 752x1000
>>251650
The mascot's creepy and unappealing. Why not do some more research on appropriate mascots? I think if you went more along the lines of Pic Related, you'd be golden.
>>
File: fat-pig-19155361.jpg (121 KB, 1300x1366) Image search: [Google]
fat-pig-19155361.jpg
121 KB, 1300x1366
>>251688
Here's the pic they sent me to emulate. It has the profile of a soft turd, I vectored towards a compromise, pun intended.
>>
>>251691
Eww gross. Your clients are foolish.
>>
>>251695

Yeah they are white trash, but their money spends.
It sucks that being a design vulture brings you to places you'd rather not be. But design does not exist in a vacuum, I'm basically a prostitute with a computer.
>>
Lurking too...

Then you need to get some fucking self respect. I've only once dealt with a job I didn't feel somwhat proud of and vowed never to do it again, but it was no where near this bad. You are a whore if you can't simply walk away when the clients is this idiotic.

Something like this is NOT great but works pretty well. http://www.rockwellandsons.com.au/

There is SO much inspiration for you to appropriate. Don't plagiarise but this is not necessary.

By the way >>251299 is so right. Drop all the superfluous shit. This is much closer to how it should look
>>
>>250551

Holy fuck. Google Pig BBQ logo. It's a clusterfuck of bad logos.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pig+bbq+logo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsgvaO9bDKAhVifaYKHfbmCqwQ_AUIBygB&biw=1440&bih=763
>>
File: 9ipezB66T.jpg (547 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
9ipezB66T.jpg
547 KB, 500x313
>>252102
>>
>>251281
Kerning is shit.
Look at the kerning in NETWORKING you noob.
Spacing between the T W, eye-rapingly bad. Between W an O is even worse. and then the cherry on the turd cake is the gaping space between the N and G. Once you see, cannot unsee.

Also, you clearly didn't bother looking up a reference image for a Falcon, or, if you did, you simply ignored the iconic beak profile of the bird and chose to make you 'falcon' look like a downy.

Get a job selling shoes, or go on benefits. You suck.
>>
Why do you insist on putting your own "logo" on there?

BD? Stands for?

Also - lose the circle, it doesn't need it. Just have the B D as a monogram. Don't just 'stick it in a circle', lazy cunt.
>>
>>252765
Do you have to be such a cunt?
>>
>>252765
This is the problem with anonymous image boards and design crit. The two do not marry, and this is the reason why.

First of all, BD, whoever you are, you obviously have a shovel load of talent, whilst some of these logotype examples are not quite melding just yet, I can see that your eye is fixed firmly on the needs of the customer and the current trends in commercial design. Marrying your illustrative elements with on-trend typo is a tough call, but IMHO, both elements need to be treated/developed independently with a the same handwriting.

I would put a considerable amount of money on the fact that your work is better than that of the author of these comments.

If I came across anyone using such rhetoric in a professional design environment, they wouldn't be around for long. This is assured.

Don't be dismayed by such commentary. This is simply someone who finds cathartic comfort sat behind his/her keyboard picking faults in design that they couldn't get near to.

Enjoy designing in the real world DB, this poster wont be anywhere in sight.
>>
>>250551
cartoon pig looks like it should be on a 1990's flash movie. I would personally go for something else. If you cba to change it then fix its eyes but it'll still look crap.
>>
>>251691
They're not designers, you are. So you can make something that looks good to you and suggest it, if they don't like it then fine, you've tried.
>>
>>252902

Hey dude thanks for that comment and feedback, this thread had really got me down and I appreciate the constructive criticism.
>>
>>252944

Ignore the trolls.

All subjectivity aside, these do look a bit amateurish. But, you can improve over time. One day you might look back and agree.

You've clearly got some good illustrations skills but you really need to hone your logo work. Perhaps you should be seeking illustration work rather than logo design or graphic design work and use the time to practice and practice some more. You need to draw, conceptualize many, many logos - then review, refine and abandon what doesn't work. It's hard work and that's why people take it for granted and assume they can do it.

You might be doing your customers a disservice if you try to simple take on any job and do your best. It's a catch 22. You need to practice.

I don't expect you to post it here but I'd be interested to know how long you've been doing this, what your education is. Are you self taught?

Best of luck.
>>
>>253551
I'm 32, I have an associates degree. I've been a sign shop designer for 8 years and I've been freelancing for like 4.
>>
File: 1.png (18 KB, 198x220) Image search: [Google]
1.png
18 KB, 198x220
>>250551
Here's my idea. Any good?
>>
>>253939
>Est 2016
No. Just no.
>>
>>253976
Great first draft. Needs refinement.
>>
>>253939
I like that it looks like something out of the late 1800's but says 2016.
>>
>>250551
Needs work
>>
>>253939
Love it
>>
>>253939
This made me smile and makes me want to eat there A+++
>>
>>251650
>>250551
Alright bud, you need to definitely need to bring out more emphasis on PIG in both of these. Make the text thicker and stretch pig at least to the N in Gluttonous. Speaking of, going between serif and sans for "Gluttonous" is attracting even more attention to it. You're bringing all this emphasis on that word when the customer just needs the whole name to sit in their head. You're trying to get them to remember the whole logo, not just part. If they require you to use a shitty model of a pig, then just work with it. I would suggest just cropping out a head and using that. Make it look more symbolic than cartoony if you can.

In any case, the overall idea is good. Your title and mascot are disjointed and you need more unity in your logo, but if that is your personal logo in the bottom right corner I think you have more than enough understanding on how to brush up your logo. Clients can be difficult, but your work is a representation of yourself. If you half-ass it, even if the job will bring no recognition, it will reflect on how other employers will view you. Be mindful.
>>
>>253939
Sounds like a tavern, would work if the shop has a theme or old
>>
>>250551
>>251297

OP, your art is fine. But you need to improve the pig. I don't know exactly why but i've a felling that it will be better if he's sitting.

Also, i would try to remove this doted line. Have in mind that your work already have a lot of strong colors and it would work out better if your get less details.

Also, a minimalistic pig would do the trick too.
>>
>>253939
I do know why, but that's look a wild pig
>>
>>250551
Would NOT eat here.

>>253939
WOULD eat here.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.