[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wherever I see shadows being used, I always get the feel the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: web_site_design.jpg (361 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
web_site_design.jpg
361 KB, 800x600
Wherever I see shadows being used, I always get the feel the designer is not just using the Drop Shadow effect but something more to give the object dimension and weight, almost like a bevel, but I can never put my finger on it, and I certainly don't know how to recreate it. Anyone know any standard procedures in doing this?
>>
drop shadow, noise, blur

helps give an object a more realistic/life-like appearance.
>>
File: ayooo.jpg (162 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ayooo.jpg
162 KB, 800x600
kek
>>
>>249605
>This

>>249609
I was just being an asshole, but yes it's something pretty easy to achieve. The shadows shown on the original image are way better but you get the ideia..

Gradient, noise.
For the text you set its opacity to 0% and apply dropshadows (on the new version of photoshop you can simply add a new layer of shadows in the layer style panel by pressing the button "+" if you're using an older version of PS simply duplicate the text layer and change it for a bigger and weaker shadow (for this example i used 3 shadows, so you would need 3 text layers in this case) .

By the way i really like his color pallette , you might wanna check this book "Color Matching: Using Color in Graphic Design" it has some interessting color combinations.

I hope i've helped anon
>>
check the psd http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=51632645122880874565
>>
File: psd_anon.png (3 MB, 2418x1602) Image search: [Google]
psd_anon.png
3 MB, 2418x1602
>>249610
The thing is, I managed to recreate the gradient/shadow pretty easily in Illustrator (even though I had to do so through barbaric means, clipping masks and 0% transparencies don't seem to play nice with shadows so I had a copy of the text with a drop shadow, behind the text clipping mask over a copy of the gradient background).

But I couldn't recreate the Z-axis thickness of the letters, the "punchiness" which your image also lacks. Mine and yours came out sharp and thin, whereas the original feels weighty, thick, and rounded. The entire letter is legible even on points with no shadows, whereas ours spill over into the background.

I've blown up both to try to dissect the brighter "bevel" I think I'm seeing around the edges and found out there seems to be a paper like texture to the lettering, which I didn't notice at the original size. The gradient on the lettering also seems like it doesn't match the background exactly, but rather that the bright area reaches farther to the right, but the letters would be legible even if that was not the case.

It's a small thing but I feel like it's a big element in making the shadows look "professional".
>>
File: psd_anon2.png (434 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
psd_anon2.png
434 KB, 800x600
>>249622
ah! good eye anon .. try to do this:

I've added a bevel and emboss and set it to 1px and the highlight to 5% and the shadow to 0%

then i've added a gradient from white to transparent with 10% opacity.
>>
File: gotham.png (523 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gotham.png
523 KB, 800x600
>>249625
I think I got it, thanks!
>>
>>249629
God job anon you nailed it, you even added that subtle pattern
>>
>>249629
Hate to be a pain, but can you upload the PSD if you still have it? I'm halfway there but I'd like to see what you got.

Also big thanks to the anon who uploaded theirs too

Thanks
>>
>>249609
>arial

Who's laughing now?
>>
File: psd_anon.jpg (329 KB, 1170x896) Image search: [Google]
psd_anon.jpg
329 KB, 1170x896
>>249775
The font was irrelevant for the explanation, for you.. pic related. (not the same font tho)

>>249745
Not OP my here's an updated version of my PSD
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=68718882002540220713
>>
>>249801
Cheers for the reupload :)
>>
File: 1424674516072.png (890 KB, 1170x896) Image search: [Google]
1424674516072.png
890 KB, 1170x896
thoughts?
>>
>>249808
Your dropshadow isn't blurred enough, it looks fake. Look at OP's example, the shadow is more spread out and there's no single, obvious point where the gradient begins/ends.
>>
File: goth3.png (586 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
goth3.png
586 KB, 800x600
>>249745
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06667262481986298986

Here you go. I also noticed I didn't add grain to my image, I wanted to do it to the PNG instead of as a layer but forgot, here's a diagonally cut comparison of grain and without. It's 1% Gaussian Noise.
>>
>>249813
ah! great job with the red shadows congrats
>>
>>249808
No stroke on hitler
>>
>>249801
>>249813

Holy crap, thanks so much.

I didn't know what a smart filter was, that you could layer multiple layer styles, and could change "fill" percentage until seeing the PDF... So much shit I don't know.
>>
>>249835
Not what I was looking for...
>>
This is my favorite thread on /gd/ in a very long time. Super useful. Thank you so much everybody.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.