[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you calculate the angle i should rotate the whole circle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 2.jpg (13 KB, 329x313) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
13 KB, 329x313
How do you calculate the angle i should rotate the whole circle to place the next circle perfectly touching at a single intersect?

each circle is exactly the same size
>>
File: 2.jpg (131 KB, 1278x742) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
131 KB, 1278x742
I tried it with drawing another circle from the center but it intersects at 2 points.

>jpg related.
>>
>>249559
You have to zoom in to see it intersects at 2 points.
>>
>>249556

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-dce6QmVAQ&ab_channel=Numberphile
>>
>>249564
try again
>>
If you draw a triangle from the center of the big circle to the centers of the two small ones, then it'll be isosceles, and trigonometry tells us that the angle at the top is 2*asin(r/R) where R is the radius of the large circle and r is the radius of the small one. I don't fully understand what you're asking but that should help.
>>
>>249614
the second circle doesn't exist. i want to place it at the perfect spot where it only touches at a single intersecting point.
>>
>>249630
Oh, ok, well that's not too hard with some trig. The angle between lines from the centers of two equal-sized circles with radius r that go to the center of the big circle with radius R is 2asin(r/(R-r))
>>
>>249693
shit. i forgot how to do math like that. i'll ask someone how to use that formula
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.