[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.samm.me Simple one page resume for a gd, what do you think?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: 48261251_p0_master1200.jpg (515 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
48261251_p0_master1200.jpg
515 KB, 900x900
https://www.samm.me
Simple one page resume for a gd, what do you think?
>>
Very impressive.
>>
>>248973
Nice!
>>
>>248973
Awesome work samanon
>>
>>248973
JesteÅ› Polakiem??
>>
>>248973
>pic
Too lazy to check, but that's by Ilya, isn't it?
>>
>>249003
This cant be anything else
>>248973
Great, Your work part looks like an option part tho.
>>
>>248973
>https://www.samm.me

Great fucking aesthetic. How long have you been designing for?
>>
>>248973
good, if not uninspired.
not trying to be rude but a grainy filter on a character is meh to me. i made be an overly critical asshole but that how's i fell.

i think it's good, honestly. i would like you to explore more styles tho, because i feel that particular style is a bit tired. it's not actually use that often, but it's still used a bit and i'm familiar with it.

it's not a bad idea to keep using that technique. i don't like it, personally, because it's not new to me.
>>
>>248973
Extremely nice.
>>
fantastic

the pop-a-squat look for women is always a winner
>>
>>249040

"uninspired"

This is one of the biggest red flags for shit critiques on /gd/.

OP, the only thing I would suggest is that you search for more purposeful decisions in your design work. Maybe some of it is doing things that I'm not quite noticing, but my only critique is that some of your elements seem to be there just for the sake of being there, because it's *different* from all the other day 1 web designer bootstrap templates out there.

And on one hand, I respect that. On the other, your Portfolio doesn't necessarily have to be flashy as long as there's impressive work in there (which there clearly is).

Just my two cents if OP ever comes back and checks on this thread.
>>
Fuck me in the ass with money. You're good.
>>
>>248973
I think it's really great OP!! I really do, it's really nice work and I love the fact that it works on both mobile and desktop without any noticeable transform.

If I were to change anything, I would change the weight and font on your p class for a lighter and sans-serif/slab font.

Listen to me on this one OP!
>>
>>248973
>https://www.samm.me
I think it's great. Some strong clients too with your previous work.

What was it like working with the guys form stanleys parable?
>>
>>248973

Hey, I'm actually not OP, and not sure who they are. But it was definitely weird to see 4chan in my GA referrers

Cheers for all the feedback guys.

>>249015

Appreciate it. About... 7 years?

>> 249194

Totally agree and it's something I've tried to work on, I'm pretty happy with the site right now but I'm sure I'll be bored of it soon enough.

My strategy is to keep it pretty simple - if there's too much going on I get bored of it quickly. So I'm happy with it serving as a mini-business card, if not much else. It does its job. But yeah, it can always be better. Cheers for the great feedback!

>>249248

I worked heaps on the responsive stuff this time, cause my last site wasn't the best on mobile. Thanks heaps for noticing! Agreed on the type, I'm waiting for (hopefully) more weights with this typeface, right now it's only ultra bold and regular. If I find something I really like, I'll definitely take your advice.

>>249280

The Stanley Parable guys are awesome. They have a pretty strong creative vision which really helped me figure out a decent direction. For those kind of clients, the end result is usually the most satisfying for both of us. Good question!!
>>
File: 060.png (80 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
060.png
80 KB, 500x475
so I come from a programming background where non-practical use of animation is frowned upon so I tried to overlook that

but keep in mind that most people decide whether they want you within the first few seconds and then just look for red flags and run through a checklist of conditionals (is it within price range? is he available? etc)

main problem is readability

1. it's a bit loaded, some vertical white space would help with readability
2. having to click on each work to find out about it is a needless obstacle, include some leading pictures to give an idea as to what it's about
3. a bit too much text, here's how I would reduce 4 paragraphs in the about page to 2:

- remove the first paragraph
nobody cares
- "I live and study in Melbourne, Australia."
they already know you're sam, they'll find out where you studied before in the CV
- Work featured on:
[new york times logo] [other logos]
- awards:
[logos]
- You can find me here: [icons]

that would be much easier to visually navigate. big award pictures carry more weight than just text

I guess my advice is to look at it through the lens of the target audience, be more creative and playful
>>
>>249393
Great advice, cheers. White space is a nice point, I might revisit that in the next couple days. I agree with the needless obstacle part, but honestly I'm personally happier with no images on my homepage. It's counter-intuitive and not a great idea, I know, but... having images on the front page makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm hoping I get over that eventually, but for now, I'm okay with making that trade-off.

The about page advice is perfect. I'm editing it now. It's gonna take a bit of work to get the images up but if it looks better they'll be there! I'm gonna keep my location, as people generally don't visit this page after reading my CV - they find me on the internet somehow. So location context is important for me!

Anyway, thanks again. Will definitely put this into practice when I find the time!
>>
Not sure if this matters or not, but if you click on a video like the Bodoni one and then go to something else, it still plays.
>>
File: 1421327280913.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1421327280913.gif
2 MB, 400x225
> No is Yes
>>
Brilliant. I was worried you were gonna go overboard based on the intro, but it's great.

10/10 would view again
>>
>>249248
Fixed! Added more weights so there's a bit of differentiation between sections

>>249656

Fixed. That's a shitty bug. Had no clue that was happening - thanks for that!

>>250639
Cheers, wanted to open with something unexpected, but yeah hate it when sites push too much unnecessary animation. You could argue that the animations here aren't exactly necessary, but at least it's moving elements into the places where they need to be and creating some level of context.

Plus, since animation is a pretty core part of what I do, it kinda fits... I hope
>>
File: broken.png (87 KB, 1893x1040) Image search: [Google]
broken.png
87 KB, 1893x1040
Seems to be completely broken in chrome, no text visible anywhere.
>>
>>248973
How did you do your whole page? How long did it take?
>>
File: missing-letters.png (40 KB, 884x849) Image search: [Google]
missing-letters.png
40 KB, 884x849
>>250851
In Firefox (latest 43.0.4) on Windows, half of the letters are missing for me, but it looks ok in Chrome. Have no idea what the problem is ?
>>
Don't know if it's any of your worries, but it doesn't seem to work on an iPhone 4.
>>
>>248973
>page crashes on phone browser

Come on, how am I supposed to look at it when I'm on break drinking a short latte with soy milk
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.