[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm working freelance for a state department. They wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
I'm working freelance for a state department.

They wanted two poster mock-ups. I took approx. 7.5 hours for conception, sketches, and designing the separate spreads. Per hour is 75 bucks.

First real "job", is this too much? I feel confident about the designs but I've never gotten this much money in one sitting. I almost feel like I should cut it down to four hours but...[spoiler]SHEKELS[/spoiler]
>>
>>248630
Well done OP, you have learned a valuable lesson. Take as long as you can without being late. This is even more true when you're paid hourly.
>>
>>248630
so you're charging $75/hr for your first job? ...and billing your client about $560 for two mock-ups?

what the fuck.
>>
>>248633
Its a fixed hourly position, the contract says I can't go above or below that number... and I just worked one office day. I really focused and tried to produce a finished product, tried to do my best.

What is scaring me isn't the hours I worked but THEIR fixed bid. That shit adds up. But I know the guy personally; I feel that if he thinks I've billed too much he will let me know.

I'm honesty curious, how much do you bill per hour?
>>
>>248640
I try not to do hourly. I find it easier to charge a flat fee per project and collect a non-refundable % up front.

I've been freelancing for about 6 years though, so I have a pretty good idea as to how long something is going to take to complete.

In the beginning, I was charging $25-$30/hr.
>>
>>248642
That does sound more reasonable.

But its not like I could negotiate for a smaller per hour pay. I'm hoping the company I work for knows what its doing by giving up 75 per hour.

You know a lot more than me anon, what would you do in this situation?
>>
>>248643

take your total calculated with 75/h, subtract 15-25% since you are a rookie, and bill them.

or you could just go maximum shekels and hope for the best.
>>
>>248679
I did...I got the full check. I'm chalking it up to Christmas. And I'm going to discount them next time.
>>
>>248693
haha very nice anon!
>>
>>248630
Not really. I work for an agency and that's about the same as we'd charge per hour.

I suppose it's a different ball game freelancing though
>>
That's about normal I guess, when I calculate back to Euros this even seems like a bit too little, atleast when you are doing it professional.

I would have to see your work to judge on how "professional" you are and if that's reasonable.
>>
>>249366
Fuck my life.. i've busting my ass for almost 4 years right after college in a shitty job that paid me 950€ month before taxes (6€/hour, or 6.55$/h).
Quit that shit because it would lead me nowhere and i was getting tired of seeing dicks (i used to work in the pr0n industry), now i'm freelancing and cant even make that much because the freelance market is flooded with curryniggers that will suck cocks for peanuts and rice and the pleb clients who know shit about design only hire them because its cheaper.

PS. I could say i'm a decent designer..
>>
>>249502
>curryniggers that will suck cocks for peanuts and rice and the pleb clients

Sounds like you deserve it.
>>
>>249504
I've paid my dues when my former boss ordered me to search pics of huge cocks on the internet as 'testimonials' for his enhancement pills. If i quit a safe job to keep some dignity i'm not whilling to do the same shit again, at least for a few pennies.

When i say pleb clients, i'm talking about people who will only choose another freelancer because it's cheaper, and doesn't even bother watching the designer's portfolio. i know money doesnt grow on trees and its up to them whoever they choose but i hate to stay always behind because of this and in the end the other guy will use some shitty shutterstock logo that he got on a bundle . (google "the 5$ logo")

I know i'm an asshole by calling indians curryniggers, don't get me wrong , i've seen a few respectable portfolios of guys from India.but online platforms like upwork (former odesk+elance) 99designs, freelancer etc are flooded with 'professional bullshiters' that got their shit from stock websites, i call them bullshitters because they lie alot to the client and they always get the cookie. I've seen lots of little fuckers saying shit like "8years experience" with "over 20000 completed projects" "over 10000 happy clients" . Do you even math?

Let me get that for you.. 8years*365days = 2920 days .. im not even discounting the weekends

20000 projects / 2920 = +-6.8 let's say 7.

Are you fucking telling me this little nigger completed an average of 7 projects daily? not even small agencies do that.

This month i made only 200$ and i was lucky enough a client gave me a 45$ bonus.

I'm just getting tired of being buttsexed by people who cant work better than me.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.