[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tv/ here. Which of these cards is objectively the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1448831271639.png (1 MB, 1286x1358) Image search: [Google]
1448831271639.png
1 MB, 1286x1358
/tv/ here.

Which of these cards is objectively the best?
>>
>>245218
Paul ALLEN's one, you know it, patrick know it, we all know it.
>>
>>245218
How do these clowns print the company logo in any goddamn font they choose. No consistency in branding, 0/10

Personally I like Bateman's card the best. Fine ass letterpress action going on in there.
>>
>>245218
its even got a watermark.
>>
>>245234
Bryce or Allen. The design of the others is lacking, and I hate the numbering on Bateman's.

>>245234
XD
>>
>>245218
Allens is the best, Bryce second.
>>245238
I agree that the font choice for the numbers on batemens looks bad.

I also think that Allens does a good job at making all caps feel delicate, and the understated card choice is the best bryce's is a little too textured
>>
1. Bryce
2. Allen
3. Bateman
4. Patten
5. Whatever the fuck that bottom one says
>>
File: Bryce.png (561 KB, 831x544) Image search: [Google]
Bryce.png
561 KB, 831x544
Bryce is the best.
>>
File: shirtmockupt.jpg (26 KB, 335x363) Image search: [Google]
shirtmockupt.jpg
26 KB, 335x363
This thread lacks class. Garuthers.
>>
Batemans' typeface is fucking horrible when it comes to the numbers.

Funny how his character takes so much precision into his card yet he's blinded to the fact that his phone number is a mess.

Paul Allens' card is god tier
>>
>>245238
>>245242
>>245285
>Hating Bateman numbers
Niggas, do you even know what Oldstyle Figures are? You all need to read some more Spiekermann, for gods sake.
Also, why the hell would someone think that Bryce is better? That eggshell texture for the paper and the sans serif font election (specially being condensed) is somehow inconsistent, a Copperplate Gothic like Allen's it's a better choice.
>>
>>245285
I don't know anything about this, but I enjoy how for the phone numbers on his card, the size and location of the specific digits changes to represent how people phonetically group and emphasize the numbers out loud. Higher/lower pitch is shown by literally making the numbers higher or lower. It doesn't necessarily work, but I like that they tried it.
>>
>>245402
>Copperplate Gothic
My nigga
>>
File: elzevirs.gif (6 KB, 526x156) Image search: [Google]
elzevirs.gif
6 KB, 526x156
>>245402
>Allen's it's a better choice
I wouldn't consider Copperplate for hot foil – especially in such small size – as the small pointy serifs make it all blurry.
I like the texture on Bryce's but you're right, font is meh.
Loving the elzevir numbers on Bateman's and I think he has best font.
>>
>>245218
I wouldn't say the best but the less worst is Carruthers' since it's the only one not using fake small caps.

>>245402
Yeah sure cause Spiekermann invented oldstyle figures... anyway oldstyle figures are made for text. It's obviously not the case here.
>>
That handset printing press embossment thing is nice but, that whole scene is pretty stupid,

>muh font
>muh paper

What font is that on the Allen card? Copperplate? lel

If they really cared so much about their cards they would have gotten someone to make them their own font and a whole CI and get someone to metal cast them their own typeface, its not like they dont have enough money for that.

Aside from that its just a meme-scene noone should take serious.
>>
how many vice presidents can one company have?
>>
>>245218
[spoiler]I really wish you got dubs.[/spoiler]
>>
>>245258

>>245260
seconding
>>
>>245519
that's the joke
>>
Bryce's card is better than Bateman's and David's because it uses a sans serif typeface
and originally, sans serifs were designed to be used as display fonts so they are the ideal
choice for business cards, therefore using a (non-display) serif font arbitrarily (without a
conscious and justified design decision) is automatically a minus.

But where Bryce's card falls short is the font they used lacks a small-cap character set
you can clearly see that the stem of the capital "T" (first "T" of "Timothy") is visibly
thicker than that of the small-cap "T" (second "T" of "Timothy") which reveals that scaling
was used. And that's almost embarrassing.

I think Paul Allen's card is objectively superior to all because it uses Copperplate EF,
a roman-style serif typeface (yes, it's a serif, but it's a display serif, so it works) designed
in 1901 which has a very authoritarian aesthetic, suitable for a man of his rank — and as
you can see, it has a proper small-cap character set.
>>
>>245540
>Bryce's card is better than Bateman's and David's because it uses a sans serif typeface
and originally, sans serifs were designed to be used as display fonts so they are the ideal
choice for business cards, therefore using a (non-display) serif font arbitrarily (without a
conscious and justified design decision) is automatically a minus.

Stupidiest thing I have ever heard!! Fatfaces or slab serifs were also made as display typefaces, at about the same time, but it doesn't mean there are the only choice possible for business cards you dumb fuck

>But where Bryce's card falls short is the font they used lacks a small-cap character set
you can clearly see that the stem of the capital "T" (first "T" of "Timothy") is visibly
thicker than that of the small-cap "T" (second "T" of "Timothy") which reveals that scaling
was used. And that's almost embarrassing.

As I wrote before, all the small caps here are done by scaling!! Open your eyes!
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.