[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>After Effects CC 2015 >Composition: 4:3 // 1400 x 1050
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: scripted_anim.webm (24 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
scripted_anim.webm
24 KB, 700x525
>After Effects CC 2015
>Composition: 4:3 // 1400 x 1050 // 24fps // 0:00:10:00

Several objects are laid out in my composition.
I want them to appear (sliding & fading in) separately, with a delay (one after the other).
What I have so far:

>1. Create 'Adjustment Layer' (rename: 'anim').
>2. Add 'Slider' (rename: 'posMod') from the 'Effects & Presets' panel to 'anim'.
>3. Add 'Slider' (rename: 'delAmt') from the 'Effects & Presets' panel to 'anim'.
>4. Create a solid 'Obj 1'.
>5. Create a solid 'Obj 2'.
>6. Create a solid 'Obj 3'.
>7. Apply 'Separate XYZ Position' transformation to each, individually.
>8. Set keyframes for 'posMod' slider from -100 to 0 (duration is 12 frames).

Now, using (an) expression(s), how do I animate the Y-Position of 'Obj 1', 'Obj 2', and 'Obj 3'
to move -100 to 0 relative to their original (or current) position with a delay value (seconds)
provided by the 'delAmt' slider multiplied by the index of each 'Obj n'?
>WebM related, it's what I wish to achieve but with expressions instead of keyframing everything separately.

I know this is supposed to be a fairly simple task, but I can't wrap my head around it.

Thanks in advance!
>>
File: comp.webm (1 MB, 613x460) Image search: [Google]
comp.webm
1 MB, 613x460
Still couldn't manage to find out how to do this, so I ended up keyframing everything manually.
This is what I was working on.

The question, however, remains because I imagine there are a few other UI designers here who wish to illustrate how their designs look in action without having to write HTML / CSS / JS code.
>>
File: logo-telefe.jpg (9 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
logo-telefe.jpg
9 KB, 300x250
I'm guessing you want to do this for learning purposes because you are overcomplicating the whole thing. I work with AE for a living and using expressions I'm not familiar with always results in making things harder.
Easiest way I can think of doing this is the following:
>create square shape
>keyframe Y coordinate and opacity
>duplicate shape twice and apply a fill to the duplicates in order to have different colors
>change the X position of each (with a spacing that makes sense unlike your example) and move the keyframes apart so they animate whenever you want.
hellalot easier than using unfamiliar expressions
>>
>>244678
make the animation slower, it will look better.
just select all keyframes, hold ALT and drag the last one a little bit to the right
>>
>>244679
That's how I started doing it, but got frustrated.
Highly inefficient method for when I have 5 pages of a
website that I want to animate every element of.
Thanks, though!

>>244680
Thank you for your opinion.
I made the animation quick intentionally because I hate it when arbitrary
design choices waste my time as a user. It's bad UX in my opinion.
>>
>>244686
>Highly inefficient method
idk man, copypasting keyframes doesn't seem as such a hard task.

>I made the animation quick intentionally
fair enough but at least give them some easy-in-out thingy so they don't look so harsh. just select all keyframes and press f9 (or ctrl+shift+f9 for the animate in keyframes and shift+f9 for the animate out keyframes if you want to do it properly)
>>
>>244701
Doing the keyframes manually is tedious when instead of animating 20-something elements separately, I could just link them all to a single object with a delay and animate that.
I agree about the harshness, although they're all eased-in and '-out, but you are right, I can't tell the difference (with or without it) either.
If I could animate everything with 1 parent, I could just modify the curves of that 1 object and have the easing simultaneously applied to all.

I posted my question on graphicdesign stackexchange hoping that someone would answer it there, but no luck yet.
>>
I need to do something like this:
https://vimeo.com/104693861

Except in my case, I'd need to change the position of each object not by following a nullObject,
but by adding the current value of a Slider to either one of their axes.
>>
You shouldn't use expressions for something this simple.
>>
>>244706
When animating just 3 objects, like in the original example, sure, it's pointless.
But it would have saved me a ton of time while producing >>244678.
>>
File: uc.jpg (243 KB, 1008x630) Image search: [Google]
uc.jpg
243 KB, 1008x630
another question:
have you guys seen those 3d animations from news that have a 3d layout with different clips on panels. how do they put the video clips on every panel?
i'm guessing exporting an .uac file from cinema 4d and different object buffers and then use the pick-whip (spiral thing) to link the layers?
>>
>>244714
They probably have all the videos laid out in a single composition and then manipulate that comp in 3D space.
>>
>>244707
I don't know about your methods, but even with >>244678 I still wouldn'tve written a single expression. All the motion is identical, why didn't you animate one and copy-paste the keyframe data to every single other layer that needs the motion?
There's 27 parts, and the same animation is present in all five scenes. You would've had to move things around only around 10 times.
>>
File: spoonfed_enough.jpg (20 KB, 412x352) Image search: [Google]
spoonfed_enough.jpg
20 KB, 412x352
>>244707
Still think it's overcomplicating the whole thing but I thought of another method you might like.
>select all objects and create identical keyframes for all of them
>create a gradient layer and hide it
>create adjustment layer
>add time displacement effect to the adjustment layer
>set the time displacement to use the gradient as a source.
won't save you time though

>>244714
>export footage from whatever 3d program either with alpha channel on the screens or a plain color for keying
then this >>244718
>>
>>244743
Haha, that's actually a great idea, could be utilised in other scenarios too.
Thanks!

>Still think it's overcomplicating the whole thing
The aesthetics of my work extend beyond the final product and to my project files and the code I write
>organized, grouped, renamed, and colour-coded layers in PSDs, IDDs, AIs, etc. and ToCs in my CSS, HTML codes, so on

Everything I ever create is basically a template that I can reuse any time for whatever I desire.
With 10 years of experience behind me, I have learned to produce project files that I can use a
year later and not wonder what the fuck I was doing.
Creating an .AEP that has everything controlled by a couple of sliders is not for my momentary
amusement, but for when I want to reapply the same principles to a different design.

Autistic? Might be. But I don't care.

(I'm not being sarcastic, I do thank you for the quality posts!)
>>
>>244743 >>244714
i find my answer thanks anyway.
https://vimeo.com/68206343
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.