[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This year, the cups are more minimalist -- a red ombre design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 5633b82714000093013c991a.jpg (36 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
5633b82714000093013c991a.jpg
36 KB, 630x420
This year, the cups are more minimalist -- a red ombre design that Jeffrey Fields, Starbucks' vice president of design, said was meant to embrace “the simplicity and the quietness” of the holiday season.

I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in GD. After seeing this photo and the quote I wonder if I wasted my time or is everything this brain dead simple....How the fuck does RED represent quiet?
>>
File: 5633b82714000093013c991a.png (425 KB, 2553x1702) Image search: [Google]
5633b82714000093013c991a.png
425 KB, 2553x1702
>>
Maybe they're referring to the uncluttered-ness of the cup rather than the color. They probably just used the color because of Christmas.
>>
Idk man but it makes me want to drink a fuckin Coffee.
>>
>>242363
so after 4 years of schooling, you still haven't learned that art & design is 90% bullshit?
>>
File: anonymous.png (889 KB, 1440x806) Image search: [Google]
anonymous.png
889 KB, 1440x806
we are anonymous we are legion we do not forgive we do not forget EXPECT US
>>
>>242374
well how can you be sure senpai
>>
>>242363
I don't get why people are getting so butt blasted about this shit.

It's elegant as fuck.
>>
>>242371
this lol
>>
I don't know about elegant, but it does look better than the last version
>>
>>242373
It's not bs. If you're good at what you do it'll show far more than someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

However; I do think a lot of what makes a good design is how intelligent you are with using software which was NOT taught. Hell my school, in my senior year, HAS JUST NOW finally decided to actually teach us some web design and even that isn't very sufficient.
>>
>>242374
I don't even know what board this is but come at me.
>>
>>242378
Ya
>>
Don't people cover up most of the coffee cup with a coffee sleeve? Why bother printing illustrations all over the cup if they will just be covered up anyhow?
>>
>>242363
Everything is not dead simple in design. Different problems require different solutions. Sometimes the solutions are absurdly simple. I mean, if you are about to graduate with a degree in design and you haven't realized that, then maybe you did waste your time. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just that once you get a job doing design you will see that sometimes simple solutions are the best way to meet an objective. In this case, I believe the objective was to make a seasonal design that didn't alienate their diverse consumer base. A consumer base that's not just in America by the way. They have stores all over the world. So you have a holiday design and you don't have to print different versions of the cup for different markets all over the world, especially when you consider that they are only going to use the cups for a limited time. Pretty smart if you ask me.
>>
>>242426
How is this smart? They simply made cups red. You don't have to be a designer to say "make the cups red."

I know what you're saying, but it's lazy design. It's way too simple and I know they could have done a million different things. Last years cups didn't get complaints, this years did. So...what's that tell you?
>>
Here's the question I've been wanting /gd/ opinions on: is the uproar over the new cups strictly cultural because muh war on Christmas, or is it a genuine case of minimalism backfiring as it becomes so simple that the consensus is no longer "oh wow that's so nice and clean" but instead "that's relatively unimpressive"?
>>
>>242445
I honestly could care about the uproar. I find that funny because it's people bitching to bitch.
>>
>>242428
Their cups are normally plain-white with the starbucks logo on it. That look is actually a big part of their brand much like how plain-white ear-buds are a part of Apple's. Changing the cups from white to red for the holiday season keeps within the guidelines of the minimalist branding they have established for themselves regarding the cups while still giving the impression of doing something festive. It's also economical because if they print christmas decorations on the cups, then the cups can only be used for christmas and only in markets where christmas is a big deal. This way, they only have to change the paper that the cups are made from to a different color paper. Nothing has to change in the process that they normally use to make the cups and they don't have to pay any more money than they normally do for the cups to be made. Also, these cups can be used out of season, so there's no waste. Don't be surprised if you see the same red cups for valentines day.
>>
>>242428
>>242450
Paying freelance designers and illustrators a lot of money to come up with unique designs and illustrations for christmas cups that will only be used for a month or two is a waste. Whatever cups they don't use will either need to be stored away until next christmas or thrown out in the garbage. Either choice costs them money. There's also no benefit to printing unique christmas coffee cups as the cups aren't collectible are valuable in any way. People aren't going to buy starbucks for the cup, so there's no real cost benefit. That's an important consideration because a few years ago starbucks was on the verge of finding itself in financial trouble as a result of over-expansion. I'm not saying that starbucks is/was gonna go bankrupt over christmas coffee cups, but I have to imagine that the previous threat along with the pressure to continually increase profits plays atleast a somewhat small role in that decision. I mean, after-all, if money was truly no object here, they could print christmas cups, channukah cups, generic holiday cups and minimalist cups all at the same time and just ask customers which cup they wanted.

The switch to a red cup for the holiday season is really a good solution, maybe even the best solution. As stated before, a minimalist cup design aligns perfectly with their brand philosophy. It's cost effective and creates virtually no waste as the cups can be used after christmas. Besides, if you think red cups are lazy design, then their design has always been lazy and this should be no big deal. After all, people never complained about the design of the white cups being too simple and "bad design".
>>
>>242445
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/1641/217/4m/video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2015/11/08/1041578740123584368/1024x576_1041578740123584368.mp4
>>
>>242451
The white cup is fine because that's just who they are and that is smart. The white with the green logo is great.

Just changing it to red doesn't really say anything special about the holiday and top of it red doesn't represent quiet.

Placing some snow on the cup at the base would have been something wintery, but just plain red?

Also, don't discuss money and outside designers. There was 1 guy who designed this and Sbux has tons of cash. They did stuff every other year and now this year they say "eh red's fine." It's lazy you dumb nigger.
>>
>>242454
One guy didn't design the cups. Starbucks, like many big consumer brands, has an in-house design team, so there are a committee of designers who make these decisions. The red cup is a collaborative effort. Specialized designs and illustrations, however, tend to be done by freelancers with a refined skill-set. Freelance design and illustration is not cheap. You could be looking at up to $10,000 PER illustration. Jessica Hische, for example, charges that much just for lettering for a big client like starbucks. Just because a company has a lot of money doesn't mean they want to spend it if they don't have to. Also, a snowy wintery cup doesn't make sense in australia where it's summertime during christmas.
>>
>>242463
Let's not get detracted from the actual conversation. It's a red cup. You know it's bs and you just want to argue or something?
>>
>>242472
aw senpai ran out of things to say. :(
>>
>>242472
Dont you think starbucks is aware of how simple the design is? They arent saying that their design is anything but simple are they? The "quiet" adjective is used to mainly to point out the simplicity, not the fact that they are red. I think they are fully aware of the controversy the cup they designed will create. Which in my opinion, validates the artistic merit of the design.

>>242363
>>
>>242483
Now this makes more sense. Thank you anon for making sense of this whole thing.

Can we get this nigga a coffee and some doughnuts. Like some of the fancy ones.
>>
Flat pastel colors and minimalist themes who knew ?!
>>
>>242428
Let's see your improved star buxxx holiday cup then smarty
>>
>>242428
You tell the average joe to make it red, and it will probably be a bad shade of red.
>>
>>242363
It works quite well actually because Christmas design is usually a clusterfuck with holly leaves and snow all over the place, etc
The plain red and white represent Christmas well without being a complete clusterfuck, it's quite comfy looking actually
>>
File: sturdbuckeh.jpg (109 KB, 666x943) Image search: [Google]
sturdbuckeh.jpg
109 KB, 666x943
>It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

The longer we keep arguing the longer this "Starbucksesque bullshit" will rule along the collective thought.
>>
>>242426
This is everything I was gonna say, but nicer. OP, if you're actually serious then you have shit taste, shit logic and are a terrible designer. Thanks for putting your portfolio out there and making mine look better by comparison.

>>242453
If I were one of those billionaires who hunted people for sport, this dude would be on my short list. Almost nobody can get me from 0 to "YES I MAD" as fast as him.
>>
>>242489
Is that pastel? Is it?

Please shut up.
>>
>>242363
i love it. nice, simple design. perfect shade of red that pops and goes great with the green and the brown cardboard coaster thing

as an added bonus it has pissed off moronic conservatives with no sense of contemporary design trends
>>
File: 16.png (677 KB, 904x1200) Image search: [Google]
16.png
677 KB, 904x1200
sneak peek at 2016's cups
>>
>>242651
Gotta save the environment.
>>
You're a dumb fucker op, quiet refers to the lack of clutter and decoration that is often associated with Christmas and instead of that they chose to make the same statement with a single color.

Also red pops out in the winter season.
>>
ask the guy from facebook if he likes the cup. then he will prank starbucks by buying one and puting merry christmas like an asshole he is. saying like the whole holliday revolves around christmas and you don't hear some muslim compalining about not having cups or being anti muslim. i think fighting over cups is really dumb. but i like the design right now. very clean and minimalist. i just hate that some people give some stupid opinion about it that it's anti-christian.
>>
>>242363
It's quiet as in not a lot going on you doofus.

This is the design board right? Holy shit.
>>
>>242363
It isnt a vibrant red, it's more of a sunset red.
The texture also helps. The red must be there because COLOR THAT TRIGGERS HUNGER.
>>
File: 342556545.png (945 KB, 904x1200) Image search: [Google]
342556545.png
945 KB, 904x1200
>>242651
Replace the colors, and it actually looks kinda neat. Kinda
>>
>>242363
One day, I dream that this board will grow up and realize that real world design isn't only about making things pretty-looking.

A designer that creates a pretty design and tells the engineer/plant/finance/etc "fuck you, make it like this" is not a good designer, even if the design looks better.
>>
>>242451

This guy gets it.

Fancy designs, PR, Billions in revenue, thousands of Jobs, expensive printing costs, and supply-chain are all variables in the decision.

You should have went to business school then design school to understand these concepts.
>>
>>242387
This is /h/
>>
>ITT People whining about muh details

First of all, since green is sbux's color already, combined with red, touches on the xmasy palette. There is no NEED for more. Also, due to the form of the cup, there's a natural gradient going on. People also use coffee as a stress reliever, as paradoxically as that may sound, being all festive and patterny on the cup is tedious, there's no need for it. There's already tons of shit going on around xmas season visually. So there's that.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.