[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know of a good tutorial for drawing with shapes in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Playmakers_Maradona.png (1 MB, 670x1035) Image search: [Google]
Playmakers_Maradona.png
1 MB, 670x1035
Does anyone know of a good tutorial for drawing with shapes in Illustrator? I've never used it before.
>>
>>246299
Yes, Google will tell you about many of them if you just ask him.
>>
File: arsenal_square-tiles-11_670.png (135 KB, 670x669) Image search: [Google]
arsenal_square-tiles-11_670.png
135 KB, 670x669
>>246300
All I can find are tutorials how to draw shapes, not how to draw *with* them. I was wondering if there are tutorials on that or if it's something I'll have to figure out on my own.
>>
>>246304
There's no right or wrong way to draw with shapes. If you want to make something original than you will have to figure out how to do it on your own, I'm afraid. You have to treat it like problem solving or like a puzzle. You figure out what you want to make and then formulate what shapes you have to put together to make it.

Also, the graphic you posted is bullshit. The artist didn't use those overlayed circles. You can tell by looking at it that the illustration is made up of mostly squares with rounded corners. The overlayed circles and grid lines makes it look more complicated than it really is.
>>
File: drawing.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
drawing.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
>>246308
Well I just need the technical instructions to digitize this one drawing of a friend, in the style of the artist I posted, in Illustrator. Adobe's UIs can be a bit daunting and I don't want to stupidly spend time on something that maybe had a quicker and smarter solution all along.
>>
>>246310
Scan the drawing and import it into illustrator. Since you are going for a symmetrical design you only need to draw one half and duplicate and mirror it. Ctrl -r to bring up the rulers on the edges of your document and left-click drag from the rulers onto the document to set up a guideline. Slick and drag out multiple lines so that you can set up a custom guide/grid. This will help you place your shapes in the right place. At that point just use the shape tools to draw your shapes, click and drag them into position. You might need to right-click certain shapes to bring up the menu so that you can change their arrangement. For example, for a shape that you want on top, right-click and look for the menu item that says arrange (i think), select the option that says bring to front or send to back if that's what you are trying to do. Once you have your shapes into position, you'll probably need to trim certain shapes to fit your design as needed. To do that you just draw up a new shape and position it and use the pathfinder palette.
>>
>>246310
Also, it shouldn't be hard. Even if you are starting out, you should be able to pick up pretty quickly if you are discipilned enough. Illustrator is actually a pretty easy program to use once you get used to it. It's far easier to use than photoshop and I think the results you get are better. The only thing that's challenging about illustrator is using the pen tool. Nothing you are trying to do requires the pen tool though. Everything you are trying to do can be done using the shapes tool(s) and the pathfinder palette so if you need help just google tutorials on those. Good luck.
>>
>>246315
>>246316
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot.
>>
>>246304
What are all those circles supposed to even mean? Seriously.
>>
File: larrybird-9.gif (38 KB, 510x510) Image search: [Google]
larrybird-9.gif
38 KB, 510x510
>>246334
I've seen it here before. There's an article here, but relating just to the bird.
>>
>>246363
Forgot the article: http://designshack.net/articles/graphics/twitters-new-logo-the-geometry-and-evolution-of-our-favorite-bird/
>>
>>246363
>>246364
Yeah, no one draws like that. They make the bird, and then say "Hey, lets make it work with circles.", not the other way around.
>>
>>246363
what a load of bullshit
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.