[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /gd/ I'm in high school, and I'm majoring in graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot_2015-10-24-21-40-23.png (908 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-24-21-40-23.png
908 KB, 2560x1440
Ok /gd/
I'm in high school, and I'm majoring in graphic design. What I want to know is, does it make enough money to sustain me? I want a house, not apartment. I want a new car, not a pre-owned. How much do you make in a month?
>>
Lol not gunna happen. Good luck even finding a job.
>>
Depends on a few things. Where do you live? Are you willing to move? Show us a portfolio of some of your work, chances are you won't be sustaining yourself off graphic design atleast for the first few years unless your work really is something special.
>>
>>240239
I live in a small town, south Texas. My uncle does Graphic design and makes quite a buck. He's told me he's starting up some business of his own and needs some graphic designers like me. Should I take it?
>>
>>240250
No. Never work for family.
>>
>>240251
Why not
>>
>>240252
(not the above anon) The hardest thing of trying to work with family is that your relationship as family and relationship as partners is completely inseperable. Even working with your Husb/Wife, It can get pretty heated.

What you love about your uncle could end up being the thing that you hate being business partners/coworkers/employers.
>>
>>240256
At the same time, if OP thinks he's up to it, I'd say go for it. Work experience is as important in graphic design as any field, and getting an opportunity like this could be beneficial for future work. Ruling out working with family simply because it could ruin a relationship isn't always e smartest choice.
>>
>>240237
Graphic design is not for you... its not about the money...
>>
>>240276

In the end, it is... Its a job.
>>
>>240276
yes is it
you better not be charging people for your work
>>
>>240277
>>240278

yeah its a job, and of course you need to charge the clients.

>But getting into graphic design because of the money is the wrong motivation.
>>
>>240237
Hahaahahahaha. No.
>>
>>240278
>you better not be charging people for your work

What the fuck are you talking about? Are you crazy? You're 100% in the right to charge people for your work.

How fucking dumb are you? Do you think this kid should be doing shit for free?

Holy shit that is some dumb ass advice.

Go fuck yourself, dude.
>>
>>240237
I haven't laughed this fucking hard all month. XD
Thanks OP.
>>
File: 1442884957972.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1442884957972.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>240237
>mfw this
>>
>>240237
I tell you what high school aged OP, if you really want to make $100k+ within the next 5 years go to RIT in New York, major in computer sciences, and join computer house.

Every person I've ever meet from their makes 3-4x times as much as most graphic designers within their first year out of school.

That being said, it is going to cost you and you'd better not be a fuck boy.
>>
if you want bank with little creative freedom get an agent or work for an ad agency. you'll be doing quick graphic design work with lots of pressure and very little time

i've been doing branding freelance and get about 1-2 clients a week. my projects cost around $1000 so i barely make any money, mostly because i'm so fucking slow but i'm pretty decent and have good demand.

i get bored easily, so i teach and write music
>>
>>240260
If your uncle has the same last name as you I wouldn't do it.

Sure it's experience, but if I find out you got the job from your family I wouldn't hire you.
>>
>>240340
why? if i'm good it wouldnt matter
>>
>>240346
You are right, it shouldn't.

[spoiler]But it does.[/spoiler]
>>
not having multiple professions

are you even trying?
>>
>>240349
>[spoiler]But it does.[/spoiler]
why does it matter? explain
>>
>>240360
Lets say you own a business and you are about to hire some 20-something kid. He has worked one job since high school for a few years and has stellar recommendations.

During the interview you find out the company was his families, he was given the job without interview, and all his recommendations were from his family members.

Would you still trust those recommendations? Would you hire him? Would you hire him over a college grad with recommendations from internships and a solid portfolio?

>That's is why.

Maybe if this was a blue collar job, carpentry or something, it would be fine because those tend to be family businesses.
>>
>>240363
i would hire him based on his work. if he had a solid portfolio, why not?
>>
>>240334
lol cs is fucking hard though
>>
>>240290
Getting into any job because of money usually won't leave you very happy :P
>>
life tip: people who chase money rarely ever make money

people who do great work, tend to make great money and they couldn't care less
>>
Also interested in this. I'm in my first semester of uni studying computer science and I'm just not feeling it. I'm considering transferring somewhere that offers graphic design but the only place nearby is ITT tech, which is evidently a scam.
>>
This is not a "money" field. It's fairly average money wise. If you are driven by nice things then should probably do something else. Expect to make 35k out of college and probably reaching a ceiling of 60k. You can make more but your job title will change.

People saying its a bad idea to work for your uncle are ridiculous. Usually with family it's more relaxed. If you want to leave early etc. or you have special plans and need a day off.

Yea, some places are better for your resume than your uncle but getting paid to get better and expand your portfolio is always appealing. An entry level job in the field isn't always guaranteed and sometimes take a lot of effort to get. Working for your uncle starting out is an opportunity a lot of people would like to have.
>>
>>240594
Also the world is built around family businesses. It has never been a problem unless the progeny can't uphold the quality and reputation of his family. As long as there is a Strauss in the Levi's jean company, they'll attract interest.
>>
>>240237
Are you good looking, charismatic, intelligent, extremely talented, and have solid professional contacts around the world? Yes!

But, you're here on 4chan asking us so no, probably not unless you have 10 luck.
>>
I'm not from a first world country so excuse this post... Do you guys already major in high school? Back home we have a limited selection of subjects to choose from, namely 'art'. We also had engineering and woodwork's but those aren't really the same.
>>
>>240657
no. in america there are not really any design programs before college

but don't let that stop you from designing shit on your own and watching lectures on youtube. start with designing your own business cards logo letterhead envelope. then design a magazine for art or music that you like. make your own projects and challenge yourself. then ask if anyone you know needs fliers or cards, or even a website. do stuff for almost-free or trade.

bookmark sites you like and download designs that inspire you. make a scrapbook.

design school is the same shit. just you get a diploma at the end and you have people critiquing your work.
>>
Do what you love...the money will find you. If you love graphic design you'll excel at it, eventually run your own design business and have all the things you want. Don't let people discourage you if graphic design is your passion. If however, you're getting into graphics only to make money you'll be disappointed.
>>
#1 do not go to school for any art/creative major. you have a free and useful tool to use and learn all you need is call motivation/youtube :).
#2 got to be good at what you do, no lazyness.. oh wait..
#3 want a house? wait .. oh graphic designer you mean making signs and cheap 99 cent store product branding?... yeah right!
>>
>>240631
I'm actually have all those perks. I'm happy with my life. But it seems 4chan provides the most brutally honest answer.
>>
File: 1420691279915.gif (1019 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1420691279915.gif
1019 KB, 500x500
OP here. I'm not just in it for the money, but I do want to secure a rich future where I can provide for my family and won't get caught up in too much debt or anything. I really do like graphic design. It's not my passion per se, but it is something I strive in. I've worked on some projects, my portfolio isn't something of wonder but it isn't that bad. I'm best in the Performance Arts, and I'm thinking of minoring in that. But the thing is, anything related to that guarantees me starvation and crippling debt. Of course, I've thought about doing graphic design and teaching theater/dance/music/languages on the side. All together, I should make a pretty penny, shouldn't I? In my area, Graphic Designers make about 56k, and then plus the teaching money on the side, I should be fine.
>...right?
>>
>>240413
Well said, I needed that
>>
My father has been a graphic designer since 1984 and a web developer since 1997. We get by just fine and can afford new cars. Ohio btw. I'm a graphic designer for my company and a web dev. There along with him. The money isn't the best but it was enough for a 4 person family and him being the only worker. 2 sorry 4 bed house btw.
>>
>>240955
Story
>>
>>240709
My rent is ~$3,000 with utilities. Plus internet, insurance, car payments, licensing, and all the monthly subscriptions; not to mention the massive increase of competition from foreign markets and inflating price of living expenses.

Having a kid on top of all that? Good fucking luck.
>>
>>240955
Yeah, back when the yearly cost of a house was less than people pay in monthly rent now.
>>
do women respect graphic designers enough to make a family with them?

notice i didn't use senpai.
>>
>>240380
Because there's gonna be other applicants with solid portfolios, and their recommendations carry more weight because they didn't work for their families.
>>
>>241107
Yes, all women respect graphic designers and wish to bear their seed. Or none. One of those two, I forget which.
>>
>>240237
>Im in high school
4chan is 18+ enjoy your ban
>>
>>241104
Holy fuck where do you live?!
>>
>>241199
Where the graphic design studios are.
SF, LA, or NY. You can pick your favorite; they are all about the same.
>>
I actually work as a printer which is still graphic design depending on who you ask nowadays. But I make ~$55k yr as a junior 2 yrs out of school. It's a pretty profitable part of design that people overlook. Publishing is also $$$ which always surprises people.

You can make bank as a graphic designer if you're smart about it. If you're really good you still need to seize or make opportunities like anything else. You can freelance while you run a blog or tutorial channel or write for magazines, you can earn a salary as an in-house designer, you can learn coding and go into front-end (lot of money there if you're good). Art director, editor, business owner, all options as you mature. You only cap out if you're mediocre or you settle for less, barring some randomness-of-the-universe shit.

I'm still pretty new but from my own experience and observing those around me, I'd say if you're good and you can carve out a niche, you're golden. Be the person who does that thing. My mentor quietly works away on her own company and has business coming out her ears because no one specializes in letterpress here, so if your cousin want some crisp as fuck wedding invitations or your client wants a thick, debossed menu she's who you call. There are a lot of employment options outside of freelancing in your gorgeous home studio and getting stiffed by clients on work that wasn't paying enough anyways.

Take some free business classes and get an accountant if you do though.
>>
>>240237
dont do that.
>>
Not op, but I'd just be happy to be able to get an apartment with roommates and pay my own bills with graphic design straight out of college.
>>
>>241206
You def don't need to spend 3000 a month on rent in LA
>>
File: 1446688501116.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446688501116.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
If you're all about the $$ ££ like myself, take graphic design into marketing, business is fairly straight forwards, you can go into designing adverts etc for some kind of large company rather than working on commission.
Once youve got the experience take it into your own business venture?

Why not?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.