[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does every design have to be flat nowadays? Is adding a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 4L_bkeZWf1p.png (183 KB, 1115x1010) Image search: [Google]
4L_bkeZWf1p.png
183 KB, 1115x1010
Why does every design have to be flat nowadays? Is adding a little bit of detail really so bad?
>>
I'm glad that gradients are gone. It also makes it easier for beginners to create professional looking logos so that's a plus.
>>
>>239546
>>239548
Gradients are not gone
Get out of google once in a while
>>
At least glossy shitty icons/logos are gone
>>
>>239546
To appeal to the modern demographic.

With all this new clean looking tech, we will need some new clean lookin' logos, ya know?
>>
>>239551
Gloss has been replaced by long shadows, which are just as cringe-inducing.
>>
>>239546
Because skeuomorphism and it's "byproduct," glossy and glassy, is now unnecessary. Flat design is arguably the first major design transition and it's an attempt to get away from glossy. It's just so happened to be the extreme opposite of skeuomorphism.
Just wait for some years until the balance between the old style and the new flat style will be popular.
>>
>>239546

Because these days, the priority in design is to grab people's attention as quickly as possible and small details only get in the way of that. It's only going to get more extreme. Prepare for minimalistic logos made of one or two rectangles and websites consisting of squares without text.
>>
>>239546
Because in their vision, dullness and minimalism is the future. Like, FUCK AESTHETICS AND VISUALS, let's make you bored and depressed with flatty ui.
>shitposting
But really, this excessive flatness is becoming stupid AF, Microsoft is the worse.
I like details (slight slight gloss is cool though)
>>
>>239548
IMO this makes the designer job too easy, I mean...
Anyone can do a flat logo, so, anyone could call itself designer without not even being one.
>>
>>239651
Design is not about how good you are at making things shiny you idiot
>>
>>239546
The real question is who decided to stick stupid gradients and gloss on everything
>>
>>239579
Long shadows are like a throwback to the 00s when people like /g/ were pioneering design.
>>
>>239650
>>239651
>COMPLICATED IS BETTER THAN SIMPLE ! YEA !
>>
>>239650
This is shitposting.

A user interface should be clean and simple to use. I fail to see how that is any more boring or depressing than something that is cluttered and complicated.
>>
i wonder if it'll get even more simpler, idk how far it'll go but i feel like a change in ui such as 3d will play a role, if our environments turn out to be a new form of screen then simplicity will have to persist
>>
>>239736
This.

Also, what the fuck are you even talking about? These are the trends with huge companies like Google and Microsoft.

Look at your typical adverts and graphics for game UI, movie posters, and book covers and then come back. Trends in corporate logo design =/= every design.
>>
>>239651
I agree. I always thought logos should be designed and clever but its takes literally no skill to make a flat blob or use some font wordmark.
>>
>>239650
Computers

>>239651
>>239693
Stupid faggots
>>
>>239793
Oookay you're like the basic client. Think he can do designer's job with his cracked Photoshop. Less is more
>>
>>239800
But he can. Thats the point.
>>
it's like a design meta
>>
File: 1422276994566.jpg (69 KB, 395x450) Image search: [Google]
1422276994566.jpg
69 KB, 395x450
>>239769
absolute this.
>>
Can you fuckwits show us examples of some more complex UI design then?
>>
>>239546

With more complexity it makes since to keep everything as simple as possible. This is to avoid users being dumb and feeling overwhelmed.

I am sure there is a darker side of something fascists, but I don't really care to enough to form an idea on that.
>>
>>239546
Because it makes things more clickable
dont you just want to click that shit when you see it?
>>
I really do hate flat logos. Just take a look at Google Chromes old logo vs new one. The new one is so plain it blends in with my pc background
>>
>>239816
this
>>
>>239546
less is more, sometimes (logos apply) you dont need a bunch of information, just simple signs, think about driving signs. You need your costumers to recognize your brand as soon as possible.
>>
>>242077
but using flat primary colors to create images that have no sense of depth is just amateurish looking, not 'less is more'. designers who only know adobe and not a lick of drawing are the problem. you should at least know how to depict form using value with simple pencil and paper at the very least. if you can't into art you are bound to be capable of second rate work only
>>
>>242095
>f you can't into art you are bound to be capable of second rate work only

but if you can into art you understand that depth is of no use to iconography
>>
>>239861
I feel dumb using flat, makes me feel like a kid using a Fisher-Price toy
>>
File: gd guide to logo design.jpg (166 KB, 800x780) Image search: [Google]
gd guide to logo design.jpg
166 KB, 800x780
>>239546
I loved this thread so much i made an OC for it
>>
File: flatlogossuck.jpg (16 KB, 323x485) Image search: [Google]
flatlogossuck.jpg
16 KB, 323x485
>>242107
>>
>>242112
Cool sword logo.
>>
>>242133
Want to bring it to the white house?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.