[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Squarespace websites too common now? I just want a simple
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: squarespace.jpg (62 KB, 709x439) Image search: [Google]
squarespace.jpg
62 KB, 709x439
Are Squarespace websites too common now? I just want a simple way to show off my shit to clients/jobs I'm applying to. It seems like every designer I check out has the exact same template.

Do people give a shit about the website itself or is it more the content of the site? Will people look at it and say "Oh anon didn't code his own site"?
>>
>>7372786
depends who's looking and what your portfolio is

if it's Web Dev, I would certainly judge if you didn't code it yoursel

you might have more leeway if you're just design tho

but if you have the skills, why not code (at least part of it) yourself? nothing wrong with using a framework but just throw in a "//coded with love by anon" and you're probably gucci
>>
>>243968

Well, if you know coding and you put that on your resume you should have coded your own website. If you're just a designer, then I'm sure that's fine if it's only to display your design work.
>>
>>243973
>>243977
The majority of my work is print design, logo work, client-based stuff like album covers, illustrations, motion graphics, and some UI design.

I have some basic knowledge of HTML/CSS but definitely wouldn't say I'm trying to show that stuff off. I know enough that I definitely plan on throwing in some custom code to tweak the template, but that's definitely not a point of emphasis I'm trying to show off.

Was just wondering if real jobs looked down on using a website generator or not.
>>
>>243968

I hate square space so much. It's very limited and designed for retards who don't know the guts of a website.

Just use wordpress. It's free, it's fun, and you educate your self on web design.
>>
>>243986

yeah I would imagine WordPress and bootstrap are more respectable than squarespace

and stay the fuck away from wix
>>
Whats /gd/'s opinion on Adobe Muse?
>>
Obviously you should always try to stand out and you should work hard on your site to make it do so, according to your capabilities. But if you're not interested in web design, then yeah, who really cares. Just make your shit look good and be easy to navigate. Content is king.

>>243986
Not knowing web design doesn't make someone a retard. Believe it or not, that's just not some people's bag. You're like a mechanic saying "look at all these retards who own cars but don't know how to replace a transmission. They should've just bought a project car that doesn't run until they work on it a little bit, and then by the end they'd know how to fix cars." Like nigga, some people just need a goddamn car now so that they can get on with doing non-car related shit.
>>
I had a Squarespace web site to show my work but it is very limiting. I've set up Squarespace websites for clients for the sake of the backend being "simple" and WordPress just confused the hell out of them. But I've switched my personal website to WordPress.

I have a hosting plan where I can host 10 websites so it's really easy to just FTP a new WordPress folder into a subdirectory and point a domain to it.

The thing I hated most with Squarespace is that the different plans limit page numbers and products. Just seems like bullshit to say I can't have more than X pages unless I pay more. Now I'm paying less than what I was on Squarespace for my hosting plan with NameCheap, can host 10 different web sites, and I can do whatever the fuck I want. Have as many pages, galleries, products, whatever.

I even set up my web site so my clients can approve or leave feedback on designs and even approve estimates and pay invoices where I've set a "minimum payment required". You can't do that stuff with Squarespace.
>>
>>243968
pro:
-Fast to set up
-renders automagically
-stable
-looks polished
-no learning curve

cons:
-limited back-end
-expensive as fuark for what it is
-templates makes injection a lot harder and things are obfuscated by the app.

I dont think anyone will care in your case.
>>
>>244014

It's fine. You can get something pretty flashy up very quickly. It can start getting interesting when you play around with Edge Animate a bit as well.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.