[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UI/UX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: weather_app_concept_real_pixels.jpg (498 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
weather_app_concept_real_pixels.jpg
498 KB, 1080x1920
Is there anyone on /gd/ who is into UI/UX/IxD design?

I feel like most of the threads here are about graphics design (which is clear), but it is also an interesting field.
>>
I am a UX/UI designer. Have seen one or two threads about it one here. However, it's harder to talk about it because all of the work is usually embedded into a project that already has design guidelines or needs to work with pre-existing technical stuff that you can, most of the time, not really post on here in full detail.
I mean I like talking about it but UX is something that is really tied to all the surroundings and it's really a hassle to make it all clear.
At least when you have a paid project. And there you have to sign NDAs most of the time. A pity, I guess.
>>
>>273879
I have a few questions about UX/UI design.
I'm thinking of transitioning from graphic design to UX/UI if becoming an editorial designer doesn't work out for me as I already have a small background in web design.

>What degree to you get to become UX/UI designer?
>What are general tasks a UX/UI designer has to carry out? Is it mostly designing or do you have to code/mockup code as well?
>What books/learning material would you recommend to someone transitioning from GD to UX/UI?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>274064
I am a special snowflake... Wouldnt recommend going my way. I studied intermedia design. In theory, it is beautful. A little bit of everything and then you can truly find out what you are good at and focus on that, which is why i chose ux.
However, in the real world, people are shitting on my degree although I aced it.
Before any confusion arises, I am German so i dont know about the situation in the US. What I experienced is that people have no idea that you really need UX people who understand what code does but what design needs. Most people look for an IT guy for UX, which is like looking for a venture capitalist for your ethics committee. The worst problem with this world is that the higher ups are most of the time completely oblivious as well. I am not trying to scare you but I have yet to find a job that really suits me and where people dont mock me for "not having a real job". Which is funny because it is mostly marketing asshats who say that. If you have ever met someone working in marketing you will know why i expected you to laugh here. (Marketing is like the wolf of wallstreet with pennies at worst or don draper as a hipster at best)

Therefore I cannot really give you advice on how to get there. I might have done it wrong although I went to a really good university for the subject. I am still fucked tbqh.
The only thing I can tell you is once you have an opportunity to really work on something it is just awesome. You have to have a lot of empathy for the job and a general interest in making people's lives easier, regardless of who they are. But if you do, you can learn it all in no time because it will be important to you. You need to constantly ask "Would I want a solution that works like this? Would a black woman in a wheelchair feel the same way about it? Why/not?"

Tl;dr I would still recommend going to a good school just because there is too much bullshit out there but first research what the job market is looking for where you live.
>>
>>274064
Regarding the rest: When I started it was still all about gamification. Would not recommend that anymore. There's lots of books but it also depends on the way you want to approach it and what you plan to do with that. I use twitter a lot and follow UX designers and read their blogs. I dont necessarily agree with them all the time but I value their input. Case studies are also interesting.

With the problem I mentioned before it's hard to say what you will need to do, every job I had was completely different to the one before The way I know it you will have to create Wireframes, Mockups, guidelines for the designs and a documentation. Sometimes this touches CD/CI as well. Very holistic. But that's part of the fun.
Sometimes there are really nice jobs where you even get to test your ideas and need to evaluate the results. Then you iterate and test it again. Those are rare, though.
Coding isnt necessary if you are working for a good, well-structured company. I say that because it would be way too much to do everything yourself, so if you have to, it should either be a very small startup or they should really give you lots of time/a competent team around you. UX works better with more than one guy doing it, in contrast to other design disciplines.
>>
>>274079
Just dropping in to greet fellow intermedia/multimedia/informatics/new media/whatever other meme name they can think of, student like myself.

Yeah, it feels bad to read this, I'm finishing my bachelors in it and will probably have to continue with masters but I have to do my best to hopefully go into another study.

I really have a love/hate relationship with that degree. Some people consider it a "not a real degree" and a feeling of being a "Jack of all trades, master of none" brought me to anxiety and depression. It especially sucks because I like every field I had lessons in, but there is only so much you can learn. After that you are by yourself. I love that I can try myself in all of them, but if I don't specialize, I'll get fucked. And it is hard. Too hard to make the right choice.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't recommend this program to anyone. I personally am good in almost everything except for webdev, but that is more because I realized it is too boring for me, and I can't bring myself to actually study more and do personal projects.

Anyway, /rant /blog, I just rarely find another memedia student.
>>
>>274123
I actually have a degree in media studies and I was in the same boat as you. I really liked most of my lectures but I couldnt find myself in the traditional media field. Im talking about journalism, Television and stuff, so I specialized in mediaIT at uni.

Thats where I started to "learn" gd and webdesign/webdev. And ye, I also found it boring. During those times I bumped into a lecture which was about UI/UX and I fell in love with it and I to my luck I had a chance to work for a company as a UX designer when I finished my degree.
>>
>>273866
That IS graphic design.
>>
>>274139
no way
>>
>>274123
Heh, sucks for all of us, I guess. But it is good to know that other people are struggling with the exact same problems. Somehow helps with the fear and anxiety that it is just you because you are not good enough. I started getting a bit depressed as well, mostly because so many people didn't even give me a chance. But no, it's not us. We have special skills, it's just that no one seems to value them yet. I guess in five years time we're going to look back at this and have a laugh at how it all sucked in the beginning, at least that's what I hope. Even with a meme degree we will make it somehow... If not, we'll just have to found some startup and use the state money as NEET bux :^)
>>
I don't know where you all live but I've seen in the Silicon Valley (and Im guessing other tech spots like Hong Kong, Tel Aviv) UX designers are the highest jobs behind devs and easily make 100k+ out of college if they're good.
>>
File: 2e3e3123771657.563485078235d.png (2 MB, 1400x825) Image search: [Google]
2e3e3123771657.563485078235d.png
2 MB, 1400x825
Another German here. Studied Interaction Design, have an dribbble account and get job offerings from all kind of companies and startups like every week. So now I'm thinking of quiting my job and start freelancing or opening my own business while I'm still young.

I see lots of graphic designer and even industrial designer who suddenly try to switch to UI/UX. Unfortunately, a lot of them have no idea how it works. It probably looks easier than it is. I suggest analyzing LOTS of good interfaces (not only mobile apps), read articles, maybe books and learn the tools. Also I highly recommend being very fast and good in prototyping. Little programming skills would make things a lot easier (framer.js, JavaScript, etc.). At the end it is not about graphic design but mainly usability, ux and software-ergonomics.

>pic related, great interface concept (not mine)
>>
>>273866
here's some ebooks

Marcin Treder - UX Design For Startups
Matthew Magain & Luke Chambers - Get Started In UX
Mike Gualtieri - Best Practices In User Experience UX Design
>>
>>274278
Well, seems like I have to get an account there. Was nicht kommuniziert wird, existiert nicht, as they say. I have to admit that I am a bit too timid with my work because I had to endure a lot of abuse in my time with bigger companies. On the other hand, getting a job is easier when you have one. I hate this world for thinking like that. Not trying to demean your work here but you know what I mean. Where do you live if I may ask?
>>
>>274278
have you ever tried to use a touch screen in a car, its hard as fuck unless the road is 100% even
>>
>>274341
I know what you mean. I rarely post client works.. most are just some simple app screens I do within 2 - 3 hours when I'm bored. It takes a while to get a good amount of follower, but if you keep it up, chances are good. Most give up after few months because they expect too much. Ich wohn in Bayern.

>>274343
I tried it and it worked surprisingly well. It was the original Tesla interface, though.. not the redesign. Maybe because the streets in Germany aren't that bad.
>>
>>274278
>.
Hey man, I'm also german and I currently study Interaction Design.
I'm just in my second semester and I'm debating about doing a masters course or not. Can you recommend any uni?
>>
>>274371
Would recommend if you plan to get a job at a big company who might require a master title. Otherwise I don't think it is very necessary. Don't know what unis are good for a master.
>>
File: image.png (193 KB, 559x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
193 KB, 559x558
>>274345
>tfw falling for the Berlin meme
I am from Munich but I came here to find work and well... The city is great but everything that is not about enjoying life and hanging in the streets is just so horrible in comparison. No doctor's appointments when you need them, even when you get one you have to wait up to 5 hours until the doctor actually sees you. Also, you have to wait 3-4 months for an appointment just to get your ID prolongued. Those come in 5 minute slots. Literally. So if your subway is not on time, you gotta wait 3 months all over again if you're unlucky, just for being 5 minutes late. Welp, but other than that, it's a great place, I dont wanna sound like a crybaby too much. It's just that no one can enjoy life when they're practically too poor to participate in cultural happenings and all the other nice things they now have right at their doorstep. It IS overrun here though, especially by creatives, I have to say. 20% unemployment rate... Was thinking about moving back home. Do redt ma wenigstens no normal! Ned so wos brudals wia do drobn. Du heißt nicht zufaellig Sascha, uebrigens?
Also, thanks for your tips. I got an interview on monday. If that one fails I'll start posting more of my stuff there!
>>
I started working on my final year project. The topic was web user interfaces, but I was thinking about writing about ux too. I'm making a news portal but I'm not sure what part of UI and/or UX would be the best to focus on? Because, at first I was planning on writing about general UI and UX principles and implementing them in my portal, but I realized it's all just a bunch of tips and tricks so I want to focus on something and make that paper actually useful. For now I was focusing on a design a lot so maybe some experiment with UI would be good. What do you recommend?
>>
>>274123
what school do you go to
>>
>>273866
I studied Cognitive Science and am on the research side of UX. Trying to build out my portfolio on top of existing work experience to get a full time position. Prototyping, survey methods, understanding heuristics and mental models, and being able to merge business with creative are all skills Id suggest having.

I'm looking to start another side project if anyone here is interested in collaborating. Something (interface or working prototype) around finance or farming, in particular.
>>
>>274079
Insightful and a little saddening. Regarding getting to work: Small Improvements in Berlin is hiring.
I know because I love UX and am German, but currently trying to finish school.
Yeah. I'd love to work for them. Thought you might be interested. Thanks for the insight. https://www.small-improvements.com/careers
>>
>>274879
Saved. Great stuff, thanks anon. I wish you all the best for your career! I just had the opportunity to meet someone who is actually a really nice person who values our field of work. I guess finding a job is like finding a gf in some aspects. If you get turned down it might be better than being accepted and then not fitting into the picture after all. Maybe it's just the slow pace for interviews that is a bit sad/annoying. Anyway, don't let it get to you. For now, you're still in University so you have all the time you need to get ready. Make sure there's harmony where you work and that it is not Marketing only. These people drain designers for a living most of the time and it took me too long to realize that. Anyway, we'll all land somewhere eventually!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.