[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
posting this on related boards, fyi I just built a website
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1442522450395.jpg (408 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442522450395.jpg
408 KB, 1920x1080
posting this on related boards, fyi

I just built a website on my computer using HTML, CSS and a couple of third parties like lightbox.
I dont even know what to search up as I taught myself everything so I'm not too caught up with the lingo but here goes.

I altered some of the third parties, bootstrap and lightbox for preferences like font and colors. I'm ready to put the website online but i have no idea how to do it. Most website seem to host their own uploading of images so what I'm asking is:

1: Is a server that has a website like an online folder anyone can access?
2: If so, do I just dump all the folders into the server and change the directories
Ex. C:\website\kek.jpg
becomes
www.web.com/website/kek.jpg (embed)
3. Being that I changed a bunch of the third parties internals, I need to upload that version of it, so cutting out useless things to save bandwith is a must? Or does collectively 500 lines of code not worth running through?
4. Could I -technically- turn an arduino or raspberry pi into a server whore and let it run connected to my modem indefinitely?
>>
>>273978
>1: Is a server that has a website like an online folder anyone can access?

More or less. You want web server space. I like asmallorange.com, they're a good value.

Have you registered a domain name?
>>
>>273988
nope, i havent, i wanted to have it built first so i can just plug and play once I'm ready, proven a little difficult
>>
>>273978
>neocities
You can use neocities.org to get feels for a basic server. Its free and hosts only HTML CSS JS; but no PHP, or other server side stuff.

It doesn't allow you to access the folder directly you have to use web interface to upload files.. However most paid hosts allow you to directly access the folder using something like filezilla which almost feels like a file explorer.

OR

>Apache
Install Apache on your computer if you want to get feels for using a server. Its probably easily installable on Windows. You access your website using the address 127.0.0.1 in the browser or you LAN IP which usualy goes 192.168.x.x.

Say the home folder is C:\website and the home page is C:\website\index.html.

127.0.0.1 automatically opens index.html

127.0.0.1/about.html will open C:\website\about.html

127.0.0.1/newfolder/inner.html opens C:\website\newfolder\inner.html

>domain
Use Namecheap. Godaddy and Uniregistry are known to cuck you.
There's an offer going on namecheap for xyz domains for $0.10 at present i think, but domains aren't that expensive anyway.
>>
>>273978
>>274641
>changed a bunch of the third parties internals

Didn't understand that bit, if you mean about making the size of it smaller, you can use an online minifier that removes spaces. Search for an html css minifier on google. Save these minified files separately from working directories and serve these.

>arduino or raspberry pi into
true. you can do that. If you install the WAMP stack (Windows Apache, MySQL, PHP) on your computer and leave it on indefinitely you still have the same thing.

I would suggest WAMP on PC as its much easier to make changes to installation configuration (i think, never used a Pi) than having to make changes on a box thats poor on GUI.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.