[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /gd/, looking to complete my portfolio for product design.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: amap4a54abcaa1db2.jpg (23 KB, 800x283) Image search: [Google]
amap4a54abcaa1db2.jpg
23 KB, 800x283
Hey /gd/,

looking to complete my portfolio for product design. As inspiration I've taken these presentation sheets from fellow applicants who got accepted.
I've got some renders renders in Rhino 3d ready but now I'm clueless as how to get them ready for annotation and presentation.
I need arrows/icons etc.
My thought was exporting the raytraced renders/wireframes in PNG and using an Adobe Illustrator/Gimp/PS app with Pages for the final layout.

I have no fucking clue about what's easiest to use. Bottom line should look like pic related 1/2

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!
>>
>>270293
2/2

What programs did they use?
I'm hackintosh master race and got Pixelmator for free, if that helps. I'm guessing I'll need to download the trial of Adobe Illustrator? Are there any non-cancerous alternatives out there?
>>
File: amap4a54abeb16f76.jpg (17 KB, 800x283) Image search: [Google]
amap4a54abeb16f76.jpg
17 KB, 800x283
>>270293
>>270295
One more example:
>>
Those are not from the same portfolio and look/function vastly different.

First, the most important thing, decide who you're making a portfolio for. Are you applying for jobs leaning more towards engineering, or 'design'? Are you interested in graphic design as a job or do you want to highlight your CAD skills? It's important that your portfolio shows what your portential employer is looking for, although it's never bad to have a gtaphically strong one.

Start by choosing your page width/height, single page or facing, print or digital etc.
After that you have boundaries, which will have an effect on your layout and style. Two facing pages have more room for text when you need it, but can look empty when you lack content.
Now you design your layout. Pick a colour scheme, define a grid, margins, font, headings, text placement, and then design a consistent set of icons and annotations.

Read up on product presentation as well. Those three pages have shit tier compositions with beginner mistakes.
>>
>>270301
Also, yes it's probably illustrator or some other vector based software, those pages look pretty basic so it shouldn't really matter what you're using. Just make sure you can export it properly to pdf with an acceptable file size.
>>
>>270301
It's for a uni application to get into product design, so it's Design I'm aiming for. I wanna highlight that I actually am capable of using CAD since my sketching skills are subliminal.
This might be noob-tier basic shit but it's the standard I need to get at.
Do you have any links to sites which might be helpful for beginners?

> single page or facing, print or digital etc.
What do you mean by this? Does this work in Pages also, since I don't have any other software?

And what software do you recommend? Illustrator seems pretty advanced and the trial cloud thing sounds like cancer. Is there any simpler alternative which is preferably easy to pirate? Thanks bro
>>
>>270304
I'd suggest illustrator. It's probably what your school teaches as well. Get a CS6 pirate copy or try out the trial.

Also, check of rhino has an export function for vector lineart, that'll get you those graphics without hassle. I know Solidworks exports to illustrator.
>>
>>270312
Sounds good.
What about the page layout you were talking about. Will the Pages app be sufficient for something like this?
>>
>>270312
PLS RESPOND
>>
>>270304

If you're making a pdf, then you'll need Adobe InDesign, it's a layout software. Export your renders directly in your cad software, you won't be needing Illustrator.

There are tutorials out there for InDesign, look them up, fuck around in it for a few hours and you're good to go.

Where are you applying yourself? I study ID in Germany, if you'd like to ask me anything, I'd be glad to help
>>
>>270293
In Rhino select the perspective viewport and put it in the position you want , once you're happy with it select the object and use the command "Make2D" , you can disable the invisible lines in the pop up box that will appear, it will generate you a 2D drawing of your object in the top view I guess. Then group the generated 'drawing' and go to File -> Export selected, save it as an AI (adobe illustrator) file. Open it in adobe illustrator and keep working on it by adding the arrows etc.
>>
File: rhino_ai_anon.gif (3 MB, 1323x777) Image search: [Google]
rhino_ai_anon.gif
3 MB, 1323x777
>>271815
>>270293
Anon I did a mini tutorial explaning my workflow, sorry for the shitty fps but webM kept crashing
>>
>>271820
How can I make such a long gif at high resolution and keep it at only 3MB?
>>
>>271821
I've used screentogif https://screentogif.codeplex.com/

It kinda blends similar frames to keep it 'small'
>>
>>271820
>>270293
Did it helped you OP? I've shown this workflow, because I think its the best way to go. I mean for the technical drawing and such
>>
>>271775
it's too late now for Offenbach, where I applied to.
I didn't even use Adobe Illustrator much because the CC is cancer so I just tried Pages and I was amazed at how capable it was.
I wouldn't mind asking you other things about design if you're up for it.

>>271820
Very kind of you.
I did it the same way. I just think it's odd that you have to work with the hidden 2d feature that isn't even meant for exporting. My arrows don't look as nice since I did it in pages but next time around I'll know. Thank you
>>
>>271822
Nice, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>271912
Yeah sure, I'll be watching this thread the whole week

I don't know what's wrong with CC, as I'm using CS6, but it's pretty much mandatory to get a degree
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.