[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm doing an undergraduate thesis on web user interfaces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: gestalt_1.jpg (55 KB, 364x274) Image search: [Google]
gestalt_1.jpg
55 KB, 364x274
I'm doing an undergraduate thesis on web user interfaces and I would like to know if there are some more in-depth books about this field? I'd like to find some of the graphic design books like that too.

On the one part I am mentioning Gestalt principles, but it all seems like an article (desu it is because I can't find a better source and everything is the same anyway) because of the simplicity. Like, I have 5 sentences for each principle and don't know what to write about it anymore.

But I really want something more than just a collection of guidelines.
>>
You'll have more to say if you look into UX and works of the ff people:
Jakub Nielsen
Don Norman
Xerox UI lady
>>
>>271494
Yeah, I actually write about UX too, well, it is kinda connected anyway. UX has more depth but in this chapter I am writing about a visual aspect of the interface and talking a lot about common gd theory. It just seems so basic, I'm not sure what to do.

I'm currently using these books:

About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
Designing interfaces (O'Reilly)
Simple and Usable - Gilles Colborne
Universal Principles of Design - W. Lidwell, K. Holden, J Butler
Don’t Make Me Think - Krug
The Best Interface Is No Interface
Evil by Design
The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web

... And all the other articles and excerpts from some other works.

I realized that even all of those are in the end kind of basic. Well, maybe I should not concentrate so much on the previously mentioned part, I guess there just isn't much to say about it.
>>
I feel like all of this is a one big, big meme.

Why is everything so shallow? I mean, all of these books have hundreds and hundreds of pages and when I look back after reading that shit, it all seems like pseudoscience with shallow guidelines.

I'm making a frontend for a news portal and I basically need to write about my process of designing user interface and making a good UX.

Are there really so few people with web design experience here?
>>
>>271650
>Are there really so few people with web design experience here?
It is a pretty "new" field. But actually you can adapt general psychological guidelines/sciences to UI as well. That is what all those people are trying in their books. But lots of things are still undiscovered when up to UX so probably the best is to do your own research/user tests to find out new things.

Btw. I'm a UI designer at one of the biggest companies in my country (very difficult to get into) and never read any of those books.
>>
>>271650
Also UX/UI it isn't taught in a formal setting for a graphic design degree. At least not mine, anyways.
I took a web design class, but they really didn't teach us any coding skills outside of basic html and that kind of makes things a little more difficult.
>>
>>271803
I don't know man, I majored in graphic design and had required classes in UX/UI, more than I needed in fact (2 UI classes, 1 UX/dev class)
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.