[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
design school thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: OS1.jpg (597 KB, 1800x1299) Image search: [Google]
OS1.jpg
597 KB, 1800x1299
those are usually more interesting than >>>wsr garbage. Tell us where you study,vand how you like it. Discuss your teachers, complain about finals, plan mass shootings, etc
>>
It's been about 8 years since I graduated, and during my time there, I grew a simmering hatred for the fine art students (my degree, comic art ( _totally_ useful and worth _every_ cent), fell under auspices of design, as does illustration).

The one advantage I got from college was learning to take critique, and finding the appropriate way to defend my decisions even if majority of my classmates thought some aspect was shit.

Fine art students? Couldn't. This one asshole, for her figure drawing final, arranged a pile of confetti under a fake faucet, and said it was here "drawing." When called out by many of us, she spouted some meaningless bullshit about "deconstruction." When further called out, she shut down and pouted.

Fucking fine art students...
>>
I study in Dortmund, Germany.
Positives:
-Good courses in typography (Swiss School)
-Prinz courses are gold
- Has a "lab" for experimental binding techniques
- Lots of interdisciplinary projects
- Lots Or excursions (Marocco, Mongolia, Estonia, Spain...)
- Small classes
- Lots oft student organized exebitions
- No tuition
- you have to be a 300 kilo retarded neckbeard not to get laid

Negatives:
- No Gamedesign
- Webdesign courses are rare
- Very little industry cooperations
- I cant get laid
>>
I am currently living in the United states finishing up high school and I'm looking for good game design programs. Currently I plan on studying at Danish Royal Acadamy of Design and Architecture. Any pointers / anyone heard of this place?
>>
>>270677
German guy here. Was thinking about doing my masters there. Would get a full scolarship from a communist foundation. Was thinking about Sweden or the Netherlands, too. Last one would be good for packaging design.
>>
>>270703
>Netherlands
its hard to go wrong with dutch design, its god-tier desu
bonafide bullshit-free
>>
File: 1462163142043.png (177 KB, 664x520) Image search: [Google]
1462163142043.png
177 KB, 664x520
>>270670
graphics design are full of girls.Its easy to get laid but finding jobs are fuckin hard.I was lucky my aunt hired me full time.A lot of my friends are either unemployed or selling insurance.
>>
>>270651
I study in Canterbury, UK.

Pros:
- Free printing (laser and inkjet wideformat)
- Screenprinting facility available
- Free paper (fabriano, somerset, hahnemühle, etc.)
- Small class sizes, currently about 10 of us.
- It's a HND course run through a college so its basically the same as a university just 6,000gbp a year rather than 9,000gbp.
- Due to the small class sizes get a lot of time with the tutor, far more than you would get at a university.
- Tutor is very knowledgeable can be vague as fuck though.Very focused on swiss type and has a letterpress workshop that hes restored himself.
- SIBs (Self Identified Briefs) We get to create our own briefs for some projects which is good for focusing on a specialization
- The end of year show is actually good unlike those at LCC.
- Local so I get to live at home rather than moving away (this is preferenc)

Cons
- I spend 3 hours a day travelling in public transport because I live pretty far away. (Although its only a 40 minute car journey)
- We lack some resources which is unfortunate (LCC gets lithographic plates made for fucking free).
- Because its a HND course they struggle to recruit students for the course as most would want to go to uni because muh uni life so there are a few people on the course who should not be there.
- Might have lack of exposure due to not studying in a major city
>>
>>270670
so you're a 300 kilo retarded neckbeard?
>>
>>270764
aren't we all ?
>>
>>270755
Where can I sign up kentfam
>>
>>270790
Canterbury College HE department speak to Paul Crawley
>>
Job Situation in Germany depends highly in contacts an location. If you move to Berlin like any random hipster does you have to virtualy work for free. I work with a small agency and do free Jobs in the Ruhr area. Since there is free tuition in germany this works very well for me.
>>
>>270764
No midsized gay guy
>>
>>270744

i've had a few of classes at my school (which I would rather not name) that were mostly girls. And a lot of asians. This is north america.

I think part of the issue with the education i took is it can depend on technical skills.

So theres two parts of thinking to this;

one, thinking and concept can be undervalued
I think that clients, people, general public, those who are not so familiar with design really only understand one thing - The way something looks, an aesthetic value.

and 2, you might not be the best executor, but you can see, understand and critique design, and are educated enough in it. But then whats the point of having you -

I think the best designers have not only technical expiereince even for simple things, but to also being able to generate ideas well enough.

It seems as if the final product is emphasized a lot, and this would be especially true for the real world.

And what bothers me also is that, design also,
well, 'good design' seems to follow trends. Or dare I say, fads or movements. And people have a certain way they think things should look. The average designer isn't a trend setter. Of course, there are inhernet rules, particularily with type and grids.

What do I get most out of the education? An epxiernce to work with professors who work in the industry. An emphasis on iterations and idea exploration. A push towards creative freedom and expanding boundaries technically or otherwise.

Yes , it is worth it. yes, it is too expensive. and paradoxically, well not really, the professors - those doing the work - aren't paid enough.

Its also encouraging to hear feedback from successful projects - a confindence boost - and it gives you the ability to guage where you are in the spectrum of talent and dedication to your craft.
>>
>>270927

i should add, there is little to no technical skill development, additionally, 1 or 2 web related clases that you can learn about code - one of which i tried to take, but was full, and there was only one class of less than 30 students out of a university where thousands of people attend. The course selection, availability and access was probably the worst part. Anything bureaucratic like signing up for courses, paying fees, emails and deadlines and requirements etc etc related to the unviersity is the literally the worst part.
>>
>>270651

and i hate to triple post,
but look at this fucking ridiculous poster. (or program)

this is what is poplar in design now. Overlappying, simple colours. Well, its been popular for sometime.

But anyone can make that kind of shit. Theres no reason behind it. Its just simple spewed out garbage. Repeated bullshit.Design needs reason. Otherwise its just art.
>>
>>270755
>- The end of year show is actually good unlike those at LCC.

You seem to know a lot about LCC, I was planning to do my MA there at some point as they have a lot of great people with backgrounds in Swiss-Style. Why was there degree shows shit?
>>
>>271523
I know people who are currently studying there and my tutor did his MA part time there.

Every student was given a piece of A3 paper with a dotted rectangle box printed on it with text in the center saying 'Zine goes here' with a few dotted lines next to it for you to write down your name/contact info/few lines about you and the project.

Tutor had a similar experience on the MA can't quite remember what he said though.

Theres images of it on an instagram somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Also the show might be very impersonal but the degree and exposure you will get to people of the industry is a good enough reason to study at LCC. I would say go for it, im considering doing my MA there as well in the future.
>>
>>270929
bro this is a poster for the Yale School of Art. If you think it's trendy artsy garbage, then they perfectly achieved their message.
Also it's pretty nice looking, though not very original yeah.

>>270928
>>270927
San francisco ? Your experience reminds me quite of a certain school there
>>
>>271580
I see. Do the students not get to do their own individual degree show identities, or is it all done by MuirMcNeil?

Essentially industry exposure was partly my reasoning (and that the typo/graphic ideology), I graduated last year and took a job at a printers but I'm better than this. I'm kind of in-limbo as I can't really afford to do the MA, so I'm just getting on with porftolio work and will probably look for a studio job soon.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.