[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to learn really low level stuff. I am okay with higher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: circuit board.jpg (139 KB, 640x324) Image search: [Google]
circuit board.jpg
139 KB, 640x324
I want to learn really low level stuff.

I am okay with higher level C++ and awesome with Python, but recently I've been wanting to learn C, Assembly, and electronics/EE.

What are some resources I could use for this?
>>
I started off with a PIC16F628A microcontroller and a bread board.

Reading data sheets and searching the web I put together a serial programming circuit and got started. I taught myself MPASM and was was good, fucking around with LEDs and 7 segment displays.

I then moved up to USB capable 18F series and did some cool shit with that, all in C.... bit banging a graphical LCD screen and what not.

Of course, this was 10+ years ago. I guess Arduinos are way easier to get started with. Start off with assembly and once you've got a decent understanding of how it works move on to C.

There are endless guides and shit on the internet
>>
>>54574877
Thanks senpai. What sort of assembly do you recommend? I hear there's different instruction sets.
>>
>>54574917
Don't learn assembly, it's pointless except for a very small set of extremely specific tasks. 99% of low level work is done in C.
>>
>>54574967
Is there any good quickstart guides to C?
>>
>>54575001
If you already know python it's not that different, in the beginning you can pretty much write in the same structure and just look up the different syntax for whatever you want to write.
But when you work low level you have to think of stuff that you don't have to in python, like memory management and efficiency, program flow (interrupts, semaphores etc). There's also a lot of direct memory manipulation via pointers that iirc don't exist in python. These things don't really fit in quick start guides so I recommend just taking it one step at a time, maybe pick up a proper textbook at your library and work through it.
>>
>>54575060
Alright, got it.
>>
>>54574917
Depends on what you're programming for

Different processors/microcontrollers have different instruction sets
>>
>>54574967
Learn assembly if you want to know more about the hardware.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.