[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /g/, so I really fucked up this semester and they cut off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1463100853840.png (1 MB, 816x1088) Image search: [Google]
1463100853840.png
1 MB, 816x1088
hey /g/,

so I really fucked up this semester and they cut off my financial aid. I deserve this, as I'm a lazy fuck and barely put any effort into this semester and it was already my third chance. The financial aid is done. Got a C in my algorithms and database classes, but pretty much failed my stats course. I'm still a student at the university, but can't afford to go back for a while. Looks like i'm going to have to take Fall 2016 off to save up. I'm a junior software engineering student, so I only have two semesters left. I'll be pushed back into fall 2017 for graduation.

Anyways, so I have all this time now (besides working) and I'd like to put it to good use. What could I do to develop my skills as a programmer in the next 8 months that I have off school?

learn web development? work through some algorithms and data structures textbooks and become an algorithms expert? learn a few new languages? functional programming? contribute to an open source project? try to get an internship this fall?
>>
>so I really fucked up
Expecting anyone to read this wall of shit
>>
Basically reread the material that you neglected, and do the exercises + the challenge exercises. For, in order to redeem yourself, you not only have to catch up. But exceed the average skill of your classmates by far. Otherwise, employers will assert (and rightly so) that you're mediocre.
>>
Also, you're going to have to pay for your academic sins. If you want to even have a competitive chance, don't think you'll get by by becoming average of slightly better than average. You'll have to do impressive personal projects, get involved in research, win some competitions. If you think that is too hard, you might consider taking an alternative route to success, such as dropping out and try your luck as an entrepreneur, making apps, or some other meme way. Or change your major to something easier like business, so you can ace courses, raise your GPA, and maybe employers won't mind you not doing so well in CS courses.
>>
>>54536291

an employer asking for my GPA is an unreasonable request and i'd tell them to fuck off
>>
>>54536733
>an employer asking for my GPA is an unreasonable request
Getting hired without the employer knowing how well you fared in school is the unreasonable request.
>>
lets be real here. If you didnt put in the effort to study at a school that you're paying for, you aren't going to put in any effort now that youre on your own with all this free time.
>>
>>54536811
When backed into a corner, people may change.

OP:

-Web development: HTML, CSS, JS
-iOS: Objective C, Swift
-Android: Java
-General: Java, C++
>>
>>54536772
usually they don't care that much about grades unless it's an internship. They just want to see which courses you took in general.

They might ask you to explain a bad grade just to see how you react to criticism.
>>
How do you fail stats? This just shows that you're extremely lazy and not ready for responsibility that comes with being an adult. Quit school, join the military, grow up, and try again.
>>
>>54536937
I know man. It was a joke class, I should have aced it no problem. I aced the exams but didn't do any of the projects or the homework, which was ~30% of the grade. She gave me a D with an incomplete flag for the semester, so technically I didn't "fail", but I might as well have.

I've got issues that I need to deal with before I go back to school.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I'm going to school in the fall to study comps and would like a recommendation on what to do to wet my feet in programming or something like a crash course in computer science. Any recommendations/ g/?
>>
do yourself a favor and learn how to flip burgers, because thats where youre headed
>>
>>54535321
deal meth. not even joking.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.