[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video game development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: uUGHRSm.jpg (294 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
uUGHRSm.jpg
294 KB, 2560x1440
Any game developers out there?

I'm thinking about touching on video game development to see if this is something I'd like to do. I already know basic Java and C#, so I think learning a new language or a new way of programming isn't going to be that big of a problem, I'll figure that out on my own. I'm thinking about 3D games primarily, but if it's recommended to hit the 2D scene first just to get the basics down, I'm open to this as well. Please note that this is just to see if this is for me.

To start my journey, I will need to pick a game engine. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each engine? The graphical part is not a dealbreaker for me, if one engine is easier to use than another that gives great graphics, I'd be happy to trade away the graphics for easier creation and/or more versatility.

When I have decided on an engine to start off with, I'll probably be watching tutorials for a couple of weeks and start off on my own, I just need a little startup help deciding where to start, what preliminary choices to make (and not to make), and anything else you think would be helpful to know from the start. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, feel free to discuss anything related to game development.

Here's a cute cat for your time.
>>
Whatever you pick, pick something that has good docs. It's frustrating to no end when you're trying to work with a library or engine that doesn't say how you're supposed to use it. For example:

Unity
>good docs online
>highlight a bit of code, Ctrl+quote, the docs get searched for that string
>tons of tutorials
>easy AF

Cocos2d
>few docs
>old online docs were completely purged
>example code is commented in chinese
>all the tutorials are out of date, for that other language that you aren't using, on that other platform you aren't using
>kill me now

>I'm thinking about 3D games primarily, but if it's recommended to hit the 2D scene first just to get the basics down
The main issue is art assets. If you have 3d assets or a modeler or can make models then it's fine going to into 3d. If not then it's much easier to bullshit some 2d sprites.
>>
>>54442796
Thanks for the tip, I know the feeling when documentations is shit. I have heard that Unity is a pretty popular engine, do you think this is a good starting point for beginners?

And yeah, my biggest concern is the graphics part. I can't even draw stick figures IRL, so I'll have to learn how to do graphical work as well. I'm all about learning new stuff tho, so I think it could be fun.

Thanks for the fast reply.
>>
/vg/ is a better place to ask about vidya development, /vg/ has their own amateur game development general. Vidya isn't well liked here because of /v/ so be prepared for a ton of people telling you to go back to /v/
>>
>>54443091
Unity is like a wall insulating you from all the really technical stuff. However that being said, people writing their own engines is something that's happenning less and less nowadays.

Your best bet would be to pick up one of the popular engines and use that. What you'll be doing is game scripting - not engine programming, keep that in mind.

That being said What this guy said >>54442796 isnt entirely true. You can get away with using basic assets and effects that make them look pretty.
>>
i d t e c h
d
t
e
c
h
>>
>>54443187
Id tech 4 looks decent enough, however, Id tech 3 has been cleaned up much better with ioquake3.
>>
>>54443137
Thanks, I didn't know that. Since /g/ has a ton of interesting programming threads, I thought maybe game development was something for /g/. I don't really care about internet hate tho, so I'll be okay. Thanks for the tip, bro.

>>54443164
Aha, what do you mean by game scripting? Taking already existing elements, put them together and tell them how to behave?

Are there already "open source" models and whatnot that I can use in my own projects?
>>
>>>/vg/agdg
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.