[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unix (including BSD)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: wall1.jpg (844 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
wall1.jpg
844 KB, 1280x1024
>check catalog
>no Unix thread
This thread is for every unixlike except GNU/kernel and userland/Linux.
Right now I'm comfily using OpenBSD. Never used a System V OS before.
>>
I did enjoy reading that little shitty tidbit.

>Unix but not GNU/Linux

So hipster thread. Ex-linux BSDrones are my very favorite hipsters in the whole wide world. They spent 4-5 years trying to infect linux and push everyone away with obscure timesink distros, and they just couldn't stop it from becoming mainstream. Now you pretend to use BSD. In 10 years you'll see haiku start to take off because the average bsd shit will insist it's too mainstream because one too many routers have pfsense on it and they can't use it anymore because too many people use it for an actual task that isn't contrarianism
>>
File: sysV.jpg (20 KB, 420x286) Image search: [Google]
sysV.jpg
20 KB, 420x286
But SysV is THE standard.
>>
>>54433117
Only put that in because there are already fifty Linux threads.
>ex-Linux
>started learning Unix with BSD
Nice try, but you guessed wrong.
>>
>>54433122
Some day I'll try Solaris.
>>
>>54433166
This. I started Unix with a SunOS (BSD) shell account and went with Solaris (SysV on ultra 5) when SunOS died. Now i switched back to BSD with OpenBSD.

Not all Unix users are GNUtards.
>>
>>54433117
OpenBSD, Nice and small community + not for the avg Linux user )
>>
>>54433218
What were the SPARC computers like anyway?
>>
>>54433369
"hipster"

>>54433166
>>54433218
"special snowflake"

>>54433398
Gonna go with "shit"

>>54433196
It's already dead

One of my replies is out of order in terms of post number, I bet that makes you want to explode.
>>
>>54433928
GNUtard wanting attention. Here's your YOU that you crave. Satisfied?
>>
>>54433928
>vapid conformist trying to whiteknight towards some imaginary "majority"
Why not just see things objectively and realise that popularity and quality are neither positively nor negatively correlated?
>>
>>54433117
GNU and Linux already have their own friendly threads. If you tried to allow GNU or Linux in these threads everything else would get drowned out.
>>
>>54434188
You do not want anyone to actually reply to these BSD threads, you want to make them and for them to go empty so you can say "ah well I tried to find other BSD folk around here but it looks like I'm the only one, and therefore the smartest". Your worst case is if someone else is actually using BSD - same amount of autism results if it's the same distro, same if it isn't. Either way it will be a continuation of the anti-power struggle you're trying to put yourself through with BSD and every non-working unix has users that share the same dream, to find some community online that won't listen to you on purpose so you can forever stay there and say "I must -teach- these linux neanderthals". Your best case is that a linux user comes along so you can scream at him on how superior you and BSD are, but that he is staunchly anti-BSD so that he will never switch so that you can keep "trying" to "convince" him. So I am actually doing you a favor. You're welcome.
>>
>>54433062
>>check catalog
>>no Unix thread
Nice reddit/general mentality.
>>
>>54434316
>BSD
>distros
Confirmed for not actually understanding the reality of the situation.
>ad homs about autism and nonfalsifiable accusations of edginess
k
>>
Tell me about BSD.
How is its hardware compatibility? How much of the software made for Linux run on BSD? If not much, are there good alternatives for everything?
How are ports compared to portage?
Will switching to BSD make me even less supported by this Windows-centric world, denying me even most of FOSS too, or will most of those programs basically run fine?
Is there any particular reason to switch to BSD? What are its advantages? Any huge selling (for lack of a better word) points?
>>
BSD is objectively better than GNu/Linux. I admit it's difficult to configure compared to most Linux distros but I FUCKING HATE the GPL. Literally software communism, the BSD License is the only one that won't get you an aneurysm or lawsuit.
>>
>>54434316
holy shit this level of delusion
>>
pretty good
>>
>>54434609
>How is its hardware compatibility?
the older your hardware, the likelier it is to be supported, nvidia stuff doesnt work on openbsd because nvidia's gay
>How much of the software made for Linux run on BSD?
if it's open source and useful, someone WILL have ported it, check out freshports and openports.se for example
>Is there any particular reason to switch to BSD? What are its advantages?
fun, discovery, simplicity
>>
>>54434924
>hardware
How about Ideapad laptops?
>Nvidia
My laptop is Optimus, so it's kind of a big thing for me. Both with CUDA (I'm currently trying to get into machine learning) and games (the ones that work on Linux in some manner, anyway).
Also, in case anybody wants to ask:
>why did you go Unix descendant at all if you like games
Because it was genuinely a superior experience, so I was willing to give up some gaming and deal with some inconvenience for it. I'm trying to figure out if BSD is the same, and if it's worth it.
>open source is alright
OK, good. But what I was really asking is whether you need to specifically port any soft you write for a new kernel, or if some of it works basically fine with a recompile as long as it doesn't depend on Linux-specific stuff.
Meaning, I want to get a grasp on how many problems finding a specific program I want to use will pose.
>fun
Gentoo is fun.
>discovery, simplicity
Any examples?
Also what about stuff that is binary-only? I heard there was some compatibility layer, but it's the only thing I know, and I'm not sure how good is it.
>>
>>54434609
BSDs have the same sorts of problems with hardware that linux does, basically everything works pretty well except for new graphics or wifi chipsets.

*nix software in general will usually work on BSDs after being recompiled. Software that relies on the linux kernel itself will likely not work on BSDs but luckily that isn't very common anyway. On FreeBSD or NetBSD there's actually a compatibility layer that allows binaries compiled for linux to run natively.

There's quite a lot of differences between GNU/Linux and the various BSDs. The BSDs themselves aren't even very closely related, the three biggest BSDs are almost completely different OSes. One thing the BSDs have in common is they're more hands on, they tend to be configured through plaintext files and their applications tend to emphasize simplicity over functionality. The BSDs are also heavy into documentation, most things can be answered through the man pages or in a guide on the project page.
>>
a question mostly on FreeBSD
I tried it once and I saw that it uses csh by default
not I could just switch to zsh like I always do but there's one thing bothering me, anyone ever read "csh considered harmful"? If all the config files are written in csh I might just run into the sort of weird behaviour described in the article, right? is csh the shell used for config files?
>>
>>54435172
What exactly do you mean by "simplicity"?
I heard that word being used in many different ways.
>>
>>54435172
New graphics cards and wifi chipsets work fine on Linux. Intel and Nvidia provide fine support.
>>
>>54435171
>How about Ideapad laptops?
no idea, I know the OpenBSD devs mostly run thinkpads, so there's that at least.
>My laptop is Optimus
then you might be SOL, unless you run FreeBSD maybe
>But what I was really asking is whether you need to specifically port any soft you write for a new kernel, or if some of it works basically fine with a recompile as long as it doesn't depend on Linux-specific stuff.
depends on how smart or retarded the programmer was
>Any examples?
the documentation is great, programs from OpenBSD have great configuration files, just compare doas.conf to /etc/sudoers for example
>Also what about stuff that is binary-only? I heard there was some compatibility layer, but it's the only thing I know, and I'm not sure how good is it.
that's on freebsd, and there is a compat layer and its apparently pretty good but i never used it
>>
>>54434351
It is a general mentality, but how else do you escape the Linux horde?
>>
>>54435226
Nothing fancy like systemd grsec pax kvm btrfs games hardware accelerated graphics... working input drivers... lol
>>
>>54433117
>lol it's obscure so only hipsters use it and it sux
Fuck off
>>
>>54435220
you can always use just /bin/sh, which comes with freebsd
>csh considered harmful
these are almost always bullshit

>>54435269
>a tripfag has shitty opinions and thinks systemd is good software
what a surprise
>>
>>54435220
I don't think any large scripts are in csh, then again, I'm using OpenBSD right now. On FreeBSD, tcsh is just the interactive shell.
>>
>>54435262
OK, and the last question. Does Wine work? Is it even more buggy, basically the same or depending on how lucky I feel today?
>>
>>54435349
freebsd is the only one that has wine, openbsd could have it too but everyone thinks its a waste of time

i never got why people even use wine, it never works
>>
>>54435349
The Wine developers are developing on GNU/Linux, so any problems are going to be Wine's fault rather than an OS's fault. Sorry I didn't answer your question.
But this also applies to stuff like DEs. Before I quit using DEs, I tried KDE on FreeBSD, and the DE works, it's just that since most KDE applications have GNU/Linux dependencies, they literally cannot be ported off of GNU/Linux, and therefore were not in the KDE installation on FreeBSD.
>>
Where's a good place to start for a Linux user who wants to give a real UNIX a try? Does OS X count?
>>
>>54435387
this is why XFCE's the best
>>
>>54435269
dumb tripfag cancer
>>
>>54435349
Coming from a bsdfag, bsd is probably the worst it gets for wine.
>>
>>54435389
The BSDs are probably the most actively developed of the Unix descendants. Try FreeBSD
>>
>>54435269
>working input drivers
The whole reason I'm running OpenBSD on my laptop. Linux had no drivers for the pen digitizer, OpenBSD has drivers for both the pen digitizer and touchscreen.
>>
>>54435389
OS X memes aside really is a solid UNIX especially for easy use, if you really wanna jump right in go with OpenBSD
>>
>>54435358
It does for me, most of the time.
Really, mostly games and an occasional Windows program that I need for the uni, or something like that.
I did start to think that virtual machines might be more reliable lately. I can't do GPU passthrough, but most of the stuff I play is outdated anyway.
>>54435387
I figured there might be problems arising from difficulties in porting, or something, but I guess it makes sense most problems Wine faces wouldn't have anything to do with that.
>>54435417
... Or maybe not.

In any case, thanks. Still not sure I want to switch but will think about it and maybe try it out someday.
Oh, also, if I am allowed one more question, what about ports? Really, the main reason I'm interested in BSD is because I heard how good the system is and how portage (which I use daily) is based on it, but I never heard anything specific. Any comments on that?
>>
Is it possible that a router's DHCP server doesn't support BSD systems? Like, may there be some kind of remotely relevant information about the system itself that makes the router not support them?
I ask because FreeBSD is the only OS where the dhcp fails.
I am inclined to think it's something to do with the system, but it is weird that the very automated installer fails getting the dhcp lease after it has just installed the system
>>
>>54433062
>making threads for unix
>on the /g/nu/unix board
That'd be like "WHY IS THERE NO RANDOM CONTEN THREAD?!" on /b/
>>
>>54435946
>implying more than 2% of people on /g/ have ever used Unix before
GNU's Not Unix
>>
>>54435946
>Unix board
>OS X gets drowned out with stupid lolfag ``memes''
>>
>>54435616
That's happened to me before with FreeBSD. Keep trying, for some reason it just doesn't work. Maybe the routers are slow or dense.
>>
BEE ESS DEE
>>
>>54435616 here
>>54436024
I don't know if it is the dhcp server, I used a wired connection and it timed out once then it worked fine.
My problem this time was what seemed driver issues. Google doesn't show up any good answer for my input. I hate this.
I'll be reading them FreeBSD manuals these days, I hope I find a way to fix this...
>>
>>54436179
No no, what I meant was that, when I installed FreeBSD, DHCP failed the first time, but worked the 2nd time.
It's probably a router problem, not a FreeBSD problem.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.