[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone use a wide-gamut monitor? Any pros, cons and things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: e.jpg (194 KB, 1280x1185) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
194 KB, 1280x1185
Does anyone use a wide-gamut monitor? Any pros, cons and things to be aware of?
>>
>>54429502
pro: can display images that utilize extended gamuts in all their glory
con: will display sRGB content (which is almost everything) incorrectly unless software is configured properly or the monitor is set to an sRGB emulation mode
>>
>>54429502
Yes

>Pros
Better sRGB coverage too, better experience in games or other artificial color scenarios, my IRC client looks really fucking colorful. Wide gamut displays tend to be displays that have good color reproduction in general.

>Cons
Less efficient for pure sRGB content, generally much more expensive (owing in part due to the backlight tech required), requires color management in all software applications to work properly.

>Things to be aware of
Get a good colorimeter
>>
There isnt any 'pro's' to wide-gamut itself, but there is just some features on Eizo CX/CG- and NEC PA- line of monitors, that are not found on anywhere else.
Also there is IPS glow destroying polarizer in CX240/241/271, CG247/277, CG31** and PA322UHD, which is essential feature for IPS panel. All those monitors - except PA322UHD - also use GB-R (green and blue leds with red coating) LED's for backlight (edge arrangment, unfortunately) and thus they have very even color spectre, unlike blue leds with white coating that produce notable spike in blue color region.
>>
>>54429571
Oh, forgot to mention:

Pro: Will display above-sRGB content better, but that's a fringe case unless you're producing your own content. It should become relevant with the rise of BT.2020 however.
>>
>>54429576
Eizo's also accept interlaced signals and the conversion is of very good quality, unlike in many television.
NEC PA242/272/302/322UHD have just about every switch you can think of to configure the monitor, unlike Eizo CX/CG, which have minimal configuration options outside of color configuration, in which they are pretty much identical.

I personally have CX241, CX271, CG277, PA272, PA302, PA322UHD and CG318.
>>
>>54429679
Do you know if any of them sync to 24, 48 or 72 Hz?

I'm interested in 4K displays with around a 30" form factor, but all of the current options have major deficiencies.
>>
>>54429567
>>54429571
>>54429576
>>54429679

I have a gut feeling these monitors will become popular in a few years on the second-hand market as anons figure out they are some of the best things ever for displaying all of their 1080p-locked content.
>>
>>54429576
>There isnt any 'pro's' to wide-gamut itself
Isn't that like saying there are no pros to high res itself? Explain.
>>
>>54429576
Any thoughts on CS270? I can't afford CX/CG and CS seems like a good choice for the budget (for semi-professional photo editing and DTP) given its wide gamut, hardware calibration and 14-bit LUT.
>>
>>54429679
By the way, you should avoid PA302W; the panel used in it has so many annoying flaws thats its not worth it, even if it has less shittier aspect ratio than 272 (personally i dont like neither 8:5 or 16:9, dogshit they are).

Uniformity correction is also one feature you wont find anywhere else but Eizo CG/CX and NEC P/PA series of monitors. They have flaw though: they lower contrast ratio, in some panels quite a lot (like in the PA302).

PA272/302 have intolerable amount of input lag, rest listed are somewhat acceptable.
NEC have better overdrive alcorithms. Overdrive in CX271/CG277 have nasty ovedrive artifacts. The one in CX240/241 and CG247 does not improve response times at all, Prad.de's attest to this as well.

As far as static picture quality goes, these monitors are the best LCD can offer, but they are still shit compared to any goot CRT monitors with Sony AG tube, like my Eizo T960.
>>
>>54429871
>Uniformity correction is also one feature you wont find anywhere else but Eizo CG/CX and NEC P/PA series of monitors.
Don't Sony's trimaster reference monitors have this?
>>
>>54429679
>PA322UHD

>$3.2k

Holy shit. What do you think of that Dell 4K OLED ultrasharp?
>>
>>54429837
There isnt any pros if you dont need AdobeRBG color space or any color space wider than SRBG, like OP seems to imply. If you do, then its exact opposite of course.

>>54429866
It usually have the same price in Europe as NEC PA272, but it doesnt have redeming qualities over it (except that its assembled in Japan). It doesnt have polarizer like CX271/CG277, so it have all that nasty glow that AH-IPS panels exhibit, just like NEC PA272. It has - just like every Coloredge monitor now - license to the Eizo color managemnt software, so thats a plus for it over NEC, for which you need to buy Spectraview license in Europe; In US and Japan you get it with every PA-monitor. Of course, binaries for Spectraview are available at NEC homepage, you only need the serial...
>>
>>54429939
Yes, you are right, the Sony OLED PVM/BVM's do indeed have it too. They also have scanning picture mode in addition to sample and hold and motion quality with the scanning mode is almost as good as CRT.

>>54429947
Got one for 2200€, but still pretty salty price for shitty LCD.
>>
>>54429976
>It has - just like every Coloredge monitor now - license to the Eizo color managemnt software, so thats a plus for it over NEC, for which you need to buy Spectraview license in Europe; In US and Japan you get it with every PA-monitor.
What about ArgyllCMS? Does that work with those devices?
>>
>>54429772
At least CX271, CG277, CX241 and CG247 do sync (without jitter/stutter) to 24 and 72 Hz, 48 i have not tested. NEC's (PA272/302/322) display them, but they stutter with everything outside of 60Hz.
Have not tested with CG318 and i dont have it currently at hand.
>>
>>54429976
>nasty glow that AH-IPS panels exhibit
I honestly wonder why VA panels don't seem to used anymore. My old as hell S-PVA based Eizo S2231W (which was Eizo's low-tier model) has blacks and contrast superior to most of today's high-end IPS's.
>>
>>54430163
>I honestly wonder why VA panels don't seem to used anymore.
They have viewing angle dependent gamma (like TN panels), among other issues.
>>
Two last things:

If you think that you can avoid quality control issues (backlight bleed for example) typical to todays LCD's (or rather the panel matrix, thinness and edge arranged backlight are source of the problems) with these monitors, think again. Each and everyone of these monitors that i have had backlight bleed, some more, some less.
I've had 99% success getting rid of it by applying heat to the panel, in other words: putting the monitor on its back (display up), cranking brightess to max, displaying white picture, putting cardboard over the panel to stop heat from escaping and leaving it so for two weeks (probably overkill, but pffft).

PA322UHD uses blue leds (in edge arangment) with quantum dot coating for backlight and i have big doubts for the longevity of this coating, and indeed, i have heard dozen reports that some major color shift start to occur after only year of use with this monitor. I believe the coating simply melts and thus the quantum dot structure ceases to be. Or shit of that sort. I have used the unit for only 1700 hours and so far i dont have any shifting, but time will tell.
>>
>>54430163
Because Samsung have shifted panel production to TN and IPS(PLS) panels. The SPVA panel in that monitor is Samsung made panel too.
There is also some counter mechanism in those Eizo monitors for the vertical gamma shift, dont remember what it was called, but it works quite well.
>>
>>54430554
>applying heat to the panel
WTF, applying heat to over 1000$ monitor. Idiot or millionaire?
>>
Yes, my ipad pro 9.7
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.