[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GTK+
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: 240px-GTK.png (37 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
240px-GTK.png
37 KB, 240x251
Is it the way to go?
>>
>>54427511
That depends on the information you're omitting.
>>
File: punk.jpg (20 KB, 325x311) Image search: [Google]
punk.jpg
20 KB, 325x311
>>54427511
Do you want icon view in your file picker?
>>
>>54427511
It depends on your OS. Do you want functional high-resolution support on your Windows applications? GTK for Windows still doesn't handle that all that well. Also, GTK apps on Windows stick out like a sore thumb. The only good options for UI on Windows are:

1. Shove your application into node-webkit or Chromium Embedded Framework (you don't get multi-monitor DPI) or Edge (technically doable but you get to write the wrapper yourself)
2. Write your own TK in D3D or OpenGL (lots of work, easy to screw up)
3. Write everything to run in an AppContainer so you can use Modern UI XAML (easy, supports all the corner cases well, but requires the user manually approve installing unsigned AppX packages in Win10)

I would personally say #3 but you basically lock yourself into Windows 10 specifically and I know /g/ doesn't like that.

OSX is easy: just use the default UI widgets (AppKit I think it's called), they handle DPI for you and size everything in virtual pixels. You have to learn Objective-C or Swift, boohoo.

Linux is complicated. GTK is likely to have the user's desired theme at least on Ubuntu, but it's DPI handling is about as bad as it is on Windows. That is to say, it scales nothing but type, which is unacceptably bad. At least, that's what it did when I was trying to develop software on a 4K monitor for Ubuntu. QT apps didn't seem to be much better and the only thing that could actually scale itself properly on Linux was Chrome of all things.
>>
File: DPI.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DPI.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>54427942
>GTK has bad DPI handling
sure
>>
File: ok_kid.png (221 KB, 1632x628) Image search: [Google]
ok_kid.png
221 KB, 1632x628
>>54427743
>>
>>54427511
Yes. GTK2 that is.
>>
>>54427942
Does anyone know how to get the KDE file picker (kdialog) to open for chromium in a non-KDE desktop (i3)? I can't find shit about it on Google.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.