[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a video card thread? Is Pascal actually going to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: BM-27-Uragan-DIA.jpg (3 MB, 2350x1760) Image search: [Google]
BM-27-Uragan-DIA.jpg
3 MB, 2350x1760
Can we have a video card thread?

Is Pascal actually going to be good? OR is AMD going to make a comeback?

My 7970 is a piece of shit that keeps crashing no matter what i do and i need a new card.
>>
AMD is for poorfags
>>
Nvidia is for spoiled children
>>
>>54402478
Prediction: AMD will release Polaris. They'll have great options at every price tier except extremist $800+ flagship/overclock cards. Pascal will have a very slight edge elsewhere and Nvidia will continue their dominance with random vendor-specific features.

Because at this point it's not about who has the faster card, it's about who has the tighter ecosystem control. Here's how fucking invested you can get in with Nvidia:

1. G-SYNC monitor that won't work to it's fullest capability with an AMD graphics card no matter how fast it is
2. Shield devices that won't even try to stream games off your peasant GPU because onboard h.264 encoders are apparantly an NVIDIA trade secret
3. GameWorks features designed specifically to make minor NVIDIA advantages more glaring by stressing parts of the hardware that AMD doesn't focus on because nobody needs to tesselate a cape into fucking micropolygons
3. More stupid elitist garbage that entrenches NVIDIA at the expense of AMD and the industry as a whole

AMD could churn out a $300 midrange card that knocks the pants off of a $600 NVIDIA flagship and you'd still have to think about it for a little while before switching teams if you bought into literally any of that.
>>
>>54402607
quality post right there
>>
>>54402478
We don't know yet, neither card is out yet so just sit tight
>>
I'm using GeForce GT730. I'm not kidding. :^(
>>
>>54402607
I do buy into it. Because GameWorks is beautiful. I play mainly Adventure/RPG games so yeah, as much beauty/realism as I can jam into my experience.
>>
>>54402991
The gk208+gddr5 versions of it are pretty good if all you play is older games along with csgo/dota2.
>>
>>54403285
I'm playing Sims 2 at 1080p. Playable. Loading times are a real rage though.

Civ 5 at 1080p runs at around 40. I love how they optimized the game. Also, Company of Heroes runs well.

I'm waiting anxiously to dive into Fallout and Witcher once I build my 4790K/980ti rig.
>>
>>54403018
problem is when the next gen comes out and they force gameworks to optimize for it and you suddenly get worse performance than your at the time lesser amd cards.

>>54402607
>>54402478
honestly, amd has the consoles, and they get to decide how they are made, what tech they use most effectively, and you will/do see it in ports, however gameworks is a thing... but for how long, how far out is the opengpu innitive from being implemented?

once opengpu gets going, gameworks is dead, because you now have something that will work on the consoles to some degree, and be able to be beefed up on the pc? why not use it over nvidia.

you also have a concern that nvidia will pull out of the low end market, as they would rather chase high margin parts apposed to lower end volume.

>>54403511
honest to god if you can hold off till zen gets more announcements and the new gen of gpus comes out, good chance amd is putting out a 1080p card that will max fucking everything no problem for sub 300$
>>
>>54402478
>Can we have a video card thread?
Do you know a new meme?
It's 7,6GB
>>
should i wait for next gen gpus this summer or say fuck it and buy the r9 390x
>>
>>54406461
Wait and save shekels
>>
>>54406461
Wait Anon.
If the rumors are true, a 480 will be as good as 390x.
If it's 250 bucks, it's a bargain.
>>
How fucking long has this bread been up?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.