[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Digital/technology minimalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: Ao4ucRt.jpg (614 KB, 2863x1974) Image search: [Google]
Ao4ucRt.jpg
614 KB, 2863x1974
Anyone else doing this?

Since I'm moving in about 2 months I thought I might as well get rid of crap I never need and holy shit how much I accumulated.
I don't want that hipster kind of minimalism that you blog about and that actually takes more work to maintain than to just not give a shit.

I just want to get rid of bullshit. E.g. I reduced my online accounts from about 30 to less than 10 only those which I absolutely need (school, bank, email, amazon). I sold all my old DVDs, got me about 150 bucks. I even sold a packet of old fans and a broken mechanical keyboard for 20 bucks each. Didn't even think people would buy this shit.

Only have my laptop and desktop now and it feels pretty nice.

>inb4 I said I don't want to blog yet I made a blog post anyway
>>
>>54378248
>Anyone else doing this?
Yes its called not beinga fucking hoarder
>>
>>54378248
I could never do that desu
In my little room in my parents house I have
>around 80 books
>8 anime scale figures
>6 nendoroids
>2 hot toys
>30 star wars 3.75" figures
>30 lego minifigures
>a few wallscrolls
>98 blurays
>20 dvds
>a bunch of other manchildren toy shit
Sometime's I'd like to go full minimalist, but then I realize that I'm a materialist with no friends and buying things makes me happy.
>>
>>54378359
>Sometime's I'd like to go full minimalist, but then I realize that I'm a materialist with no friends and buying things makes me happy.

Put shit in a storage locker or attic for a few months. Maybe you'll realize you aren't a materialist
>>
>>54378385
Nah, it keeps me going. Thinking about selling a lot of it and taking a trip to tokyo or some far away land though
>>
people only fall for the 'minimalism' meme because they can't afford anything else after purchasing their macbookpro
>>
>>54378359
Well I had planned this for a while now actually. I piled up most of my stuff in cardboard boxes last October, ready to be sold but I couldn't be bothered to sell anything until now.

I have taken exactly 2 things out of the boxes (both of which I had actually mistakenly placed there in the first time) during that time, which got me thinking that I don't need this shit after all

The only things I still constantly buy is books. I'm not sure if I'm ready for an ebook reader, I just like books too much for this.
>>
File: lel.png (75 KB, 276x282) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
75 KB, 276x282
>>54378248
>Digital/technology minimalism

I hope you realize one thing: muh minimalism is insanely entry level, common and generic.

Tied with Ikea it makes your mememalistic PC station look the same as thousands of the same looking PC work places.

It's like "Hey let's remove any originality from my desk because I have no fucking idea how to make it look good and I hope that my mememalistic place will be accepted because it's completely unremarkable and tasteless"

It looks fucking boring, unremarkable, unoriginal. It says nothing about you except the fact that you have no idea how to make it look good and not empty like your empty head.
>>
>>54378248
Minimalist desks always look so contrived, like the guy was just standing there with his camera arranging his things in a way that looked nice and not because he actually keeps them that way.
Don't be that guy.

If you need something, don't find an excuse to throw it out so you can fit in on reddit.
>>
>>54378691
But anon, randomly placing weeabo figurines an MLP merchandasing in your room doesn't qualify as taste.
>>
>>54378422
topkek
>>
>>54378880
>>54378691
b-but anons that's EXACTLY what I meant

I wrote it in the OP. I don't want some stupid blogger level tier minimalism that costs me more time to set up than anything.

I just don't want bullshit. The pic is not mine, just do a reverse search, I don't even own a macbook.
>>
i do
>muh minimalism
becuz i'm poor and a student

the only clutter i can afford is a cluttered desktop environment
and it feels comfy as fuck
>>
File: 20160503_171858.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160503_171858.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
Sort of.
>>54378880
Guilty, I won't hide it.

I don't have a desk, laptop does all I need plus on the go.
>>
All I need is a smartphone and either a laptop or a tablet tethered to my smartphone's cellular data.

I'm on a T-Mobile plan with 10 GB of data, and most major video and music streaming services don't count against my data cap thanks to Binge On and Music Freedom.

Ad-blockers also help cut my Web consumption down to a fraction of what it would otherwise be.

I usually end up well under my cap by the end of the bill cycle, and the excess data is rolled over to the next cycle.
>>
File: WP_20151012_012.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151012_012.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
Nearly impossible to do in a consumer society built upon an economy that demands repeat purchases.
>>
>>54378248
I keep all my extra crap in my closet, on a shelf, under my bed and in other rooms. It doesn't really get in the way.
>>
>>54381561
What laptop is that?
>>
>>54383453
Looks like ASUS.
>>
>>54383474
I can see that, but what model?
>>
>>54381561
Lmao did you also buy some screen to go with that giant bezel?
>>
File: 1375597302794.png (108 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1375597302794.png
108 KB, 480x480
>>54378422
game set and match
>>
>>54383480
ASUS X202E. My model is more or less a custom model, the original models had problems with overheating and throttling, that was due to the fact that they used literally a sheet of copper as a heat sink. I replaced that for a copper pipe thats fits it, sold on ebay for less than $10. I also replaced the motherboard for a Core i5 3317u, which seems to be an ultra rare model for this laptop since on eBay there are only models with a Celeron, Pentium and i3. The specific model is X202E DH51T but it seems every place online has it out of stock. I also added AS5 paste and extra small chip heatsink.
>>54383621
Yes, a touchscreen, pretty useful m8.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.