[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking to buy my own modem/router when I move, so I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: D7000_Hero_Transparent.png (98 KB, 1215x781) Image search: [Google]
D7000_Hero_Transparent.png
98 KB, 1215x781
Looking to buy my own modem/router when I move, so I don't pay to rent one from the cable company.

Is there a top notch wireless modem/router combo?

Is there any pro/con to having a separate router and modem other than simplicity of one machine?

I know to look for 802.11ac and to find dualband 2.4 and 5. any other numbers to look for?

really any opinions on quality items is greatly appreciated. I have not done research into these pieces of tech before.
>>
always pick router with ddwrt firmware support.
>>
>>54377092

http://www.cnet.com/news/top-wireless-routers-that-can-run-open-source-dd-wrt-firmware/

Running DD-WRT, which is free, on a router is very much like using Linux on your computer instead of Windows or Mac OS. However, in this case, the experience is a lot more consistent, since stock firmware of different networking vendors are vastly different from one another. On top of that, DD-WRT generally provides a lot more features and much more in-depth customization and configuration compared with most, if not all, stock firmware in home routers.

(In case you are wondering where the name DD-WRT comes from: while WRT is a common term that stands for wireless receiver/transmitter, DD is actually the automobile license-plate code for Dresden, a region in Germany that's home to DD-WRT project's founder and main developer Sebastian Gottschall.)
>>
>>54377092
>>54377113

interesting I have never heard of this. Anyone care to sing its praises from experience?
>>
>>54377062
Buy from linksys, specifically their WRT series. Very good range, speed, will support any kind of firmware you want etc. I've stuck with linksys since the start and never been happier. I heard asus makes good routers too, but they're more expensive than linksys.
>>
>>54377189
>>54377062

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-CG7500/#product-features
>>
>>54377189
More expensive?
Wat?

The asus rt ac68u is usually $170 the linksys wrt ac1900 is $230 usually

Sure the wrt is generally better but fuck that's one hell of a markup

And linksys is now owned and operated by belkin the makers of shitty routers

I'm also looking for a new router I'm trying to decide between going full sperg and buying a ubiquiti router x and one if their ac access points or just getting the asus ac68u
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320192&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
Use promo code EMCEJEH23
That's router only. You'll have to look elsewhere for a modem
>>
>>54381401
Oh, today is the last day for the deal so you can't really sit on it for long
>>
What sort of arsehole country makes you rent a router from your isp?

In the uk, we did that with landline phone handsets. Until about 1985.
>>
>>54381732
Here you don't have to
But most ISPs will push it on you and make you rent a modem at least. Some don't do routers
But you can tell them that you want to use your own.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.