[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh wow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: mfwimaretard.jpg (34 KB, 980x490) Image search: [Google]
mfwimaretard.jpg
34 KB, 980x490
Really didint think this would come true but im actually interested in linux, fuck you /g/.
Can i have some good casual plebtier OS and do something productive on it, im tired of gaming and bored of windows.
>>
>>54375381
I'd recommend starting with a "just werks" distro like Mint or an Ubuntu flavor (pick one with the Desktop you like, I personally like Kubuntu for newer machines and Xubuntu for older machines). Use this distribution to learn the basics of the command-line, find programs you like to do what you want, whether it's programming or simple web-browsing.
Try everything, try anything that even remotely interests you, every browser, every distro, don't be afraid to shop around. If you like *buntu there's nothing wrong with that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If you decide you want to do more from there, choose what interests you. If you like *buntu or mint but you want a more "pure" distribution, give Debian a try, maybe give an RPM based distro like OpenSUSE or Fedora a try. Remember, you can try any distro risk-free in VirtualBox or something similar, so take a few hours and shop around. If you're interested in a more DIY distro, take a look at Arch or Gentoo, maybe give *BSD a look.
>>
>>54375434
cont.

I ended up getting into (GNU/)Linux because I had an old laptop that I wanted to get working, so I used Xubuntu, and found it to work perfectly for classwork. Right now I'm on Debian with KDE, but I've tried pretty much everything under the sun, and that's really the best advice anyone can give you. Don't be afraid to like something other people say sucks, don't be pushed into using something you hate by the /g/ echo-chamber, etc.
Hope to see you in /g/fglt/ :)
>>
You don't want Linux, you want change in your life. You use your computer more than any other object in your home and possibly the world, so you will obviously search for change there first. You don't want Linux, you just desire change. If windows is working from you but you're feeling "bored" of it, it's likely the first signs of depression. Remember that depression first rears its head in the form of having your previous hobbies or activities no longer interesting (gaming, for you).
What you need is a fresh start. Perhaps try to pick up a new, healthy hobby for your life. Or, go to Barnes and Noble and pick out an interesting book maybe. Add something new to your life, it'll generate a new perspective for you and suddenly everything in the world will start to feel new again.
Good luck, and don't give up.
>>
>>54375381
>>54375476
>go to Barnes and Noble and pick out an interesting book
fucking this, choose something new you want to learn, and pour yourself into it. If you decide it's not for you, that's okay, just pick something else
For me that thing was programming and woodworking, for you it might be something totally fucking different.
We love you Anon

>>54375485
Filtered :)
>>
File: 1449752433592.png (3 MB, 1880x1634) Image search: [Google]
1449752433592.png
3 MB, 1880x1634
>>54375381
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54375485
dumb tripfag
>>
>>54375381
This guy >>54375434 has the right of it. Adding on to what he said, something people underestimate about Linux is how easy it is to distro hop.

Once you've installed one distro, it's pretty easy to do most others unless it's something like gentoo or arch. Since Linux is free, and relatively small, it costs nothing and doesn't take long either. Just zip up any files you want to keep, toss em on a flash drive and burn the OS to the ground. People will tell you fancy ways to keep your files, but my way works fine and won't consume your entire evening.

The other thing that makes distro hopping easy is that, when you get down to it, it's all Linux. Pretty much the only differences between distros you'll notice is the package manager and default applications. I switched from Ubuntu to arch because I got to a point where I was using the archwiki for everything and figured if I'm using Ubuntu like arch, I might as well just switch.

Main thing is to have fun. If you don't have fun with it, then this guy >>54375476 is right.

I chose Linux for pretty much exactly what he said, and it genuinely turned my life around. Over the course of a year, I went from college dropout destined to wait tables forever to gainfully employed software developer. I poured my heart and soul into it, but it made all the difference. If you're looking for a change of pace, Linux is definitely worth checking out.
>>
I'm actually suprised to see /g/ so nice today! Good morning everyone :). I agree with basically all the above posts.
>>
File: 1400771234314.jpg (1 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
1400771234314.jpg
1 MB, 4928x3264
>>54375434
I'm gonna ride your coat tail anon.

So I started with mint and that's what I endorse. It bare bones enough that you'll have to learn a bit about using the terminal and what not. Eventually I broke it / it broke, and I just switched to ubuntu 16.04.

This new ubuntu is pretty awesome, unity hating is a bit of a meme in my opinion. That being said OP, bare in mind that you can always change which desktop environment you use after you install your initial distro. When I had mint I went from cinnimon to KDE to i3. I3 was fun but a lot of work, KDE is kinda stupid imho. Unity has been pretty nice so far.

Just search around and find out the differences between distro and what not and pick what seems right for you.

Also get an external HD and back up everything regularly. Shit might break or you might want to fresh install something new in 6 months, best to be prepared.

> inb4 blog
I took adderall this morning and i'm feelin like Mark Twain.
>>
>>54375476
>>54375498
Tbh ive been going over changes in my life and my habits, i want a full system refresh sort of. Quit smoking a month ago, i want to do something productive in my life as i see myself as a waste of space right now. My gf helped me quitting smoking and changes to my habits.
May even pick up a book on Lua or Python if i could get any recommendations. I do read almost daily before i go to sleep anyway.
>>
>>54375434
I will look in to Kubuntu. I remember when i was young i had this one OS where i logged in to the user in terminal like interface and had to type startx to load the GUI. Any tips on the productivity side of GNU/Linux?
>>
>>54375600
Whatever man, im a pleb when it comes to software. Not implying that im a expert in hardware. but i know my shit.
>>
Any customization available? It may be a good start, but it looks atrocious imho.
>>
>>54376119
thats pasta anon

RMS has basis but slapping it everywhere is ridiculous, i guess it shows how hurt and fearfull he probably is for becoming irrelevant
just a heads up
>>
>>54376167
dumb tripfag
>>
>>54375476
Change...
So you say embrace Tzeentch?
>>
File: 343ihalo.jpg (7 KB, 198x279) Image search: [Google]
343ihalo.jpg
7 KB, 198x279
>>54376167
>not reading Pynchon

oh wow, get on my level casual
>>
>>54376205
Well he wanted attention so i gave him attention.
>>
>>54376255
Get out of here ye imperial scum!
>>
>>54375381
Hello, my name is Rakeesh.

You should try Microsoft Windows 10©, now with Linux Shell, providing the best of both worlds. Also, if you use Microsoft WIndows 10© you will not be considered a communist nor labeled as a potential terrorist by the NSA.
>>
>>54376349
Here, have my attention.
>>
>>54376349
Excellent work Rakeesh, 10 rupees have been deposited into your account.
>>
>>54376167
>meaningful books
>satanic verses, infinite jest, bhagavad gita

fedora-wearing sjw D.E.S.I.G.N.A.T.E.D detected
>>
Join us in the /flt/-friendly linux thread
the OP has you covered and the thread will support you through any trouble
>>
File: 1604.jpg (262 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1604.jpg
262 KB, 1600x900
xfce is good anon
versatile light stable and customisable
xubuntu is a good start
>>
>>54376285
dumb tripfag
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.