[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Two of my three GPU fans aren't spinning, how can i figure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1388466244358.jpg (17 KB, 193x245) Image search: [Google]
1388466244358.jpg
17 KB, 193x245
Two of my three GPU fans aren't spinning, how can i figure out if there's something i can tweak to get them working again or if they are legit ded?

They still spin if i flick them with my finger so its not some kind of grease issue, but checking GPU fan speeds using GPUZ with the card like it is right now it wont register anything

am i fucked? should i just jury rig a set of three case fans attached to the card? I actually have room to try that...
>>
>>54334907

Have you tried applying a voltage to the fans that don't work? I assume their is some sort of plug going from the case to the GPU board that you could hook up to ground and + voltage.
>>
Try running a game for awhile, a lot of newer fans won't spin unless GPU reaches a certain temp.
>>
>>54335065
i discovered my fans died when i tried booting a game a couple of hours ago and my computer shut off on its own

then i tried booting different games and three times over it shut down

sitting idle my temps are at 40-50C and sometimes bumped up to 80C

i tried fiddling with Afterburner and setting fans manually to max and they dont move

>>54334965
I don't follow
there's an 8pin and 6pin PSU power connector plugs that my card uses. what should i do with them?
>>
bomp

incidentally how long can a card run at 45C idle and 60C when doing something as minor as looking at a youtube clip before things get dicey?

depending on how involved i need to be to fix this i'm not entirely sure i have the time until maybe a week later
>>
>>54334907
/g/ isn't a tech support board so don't ask these types of questions here. Try r/techsupport or something similar. You get a better answer there anyway
>>
>>54335135
>there's an 8pin and 6pin PSU power connector plugs that my card uses. what should i do with them?
give them what they want
every connector on your card should be connected to your power supply
>>
>>54335841
I had a GTS 450 that idled in the high 60's even in the winter. and this is with the side panel of the case off, or it would be in the 70's. And this is without doing anything else mind you. That carried on for 5 years and that card still works, it's in my closet now as backup/diagnostics hardware.

So on that note, 45C-60C should be fine. But I do recommend getting the problem fixed as soon as you can.
>>
>>54336807
alright i understand, i suspected as much but i still felt like coming here before i had to register on tomshardware or something

>>54337361
theyve always been connected and i even switched out the particular PSU cables with another set of wires and there was no change

>>54337443
well thats good to know that i can limp along like this for at least a little while, thanks

sage too i guess
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.