[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question: considering the level of jewing that went
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: C6koy7u.png (222 KB, 640x240) Image search: [Google]
C6koy7u.png
222 KB, 640x240
Serious question: considering the level of jewing that went into the 1151 Intel socket, how "future proof" can we expect it to be? They seemed to change it for no reason which makes me doubt it'll be around for 4 years or more like 1150 was

Basically, is it worth it to get a skylake machine now with hopes of upgrading in the future?
>>
>>54324789
You'll have one generation, two if you're lucky. But beyond that memory will change or PCI-e 4.0 will release requiring a different pin configuration. It's not like they change the configuration for shits and giggles. It's generally to add features, PCI lanes, memory controller, etc.
>>
>>54324789
How often do you keep mobos for more than two generations' worth of upgrades?

I used to buy platforms that would have sockets that last years and years, but it never mattered, not once. Every time I wanted to do a major overhaul of a system, I always, always wanted a new mobo.

Whether it be to support new RAM or a better controller or other features, there was just always something that made me not want to stick with my old mobo past MAYBE one CPU upgrade (and even that was rare).

It's like getting a full ATX case. When you build your babby's first system, you want all the space in the world for all the peripherals you could possibly think of, but after a couple systems you realize that even mid-ATX is more than you'll ever need and you probably fit everything into an ITX case if you really wanted.

"Future-proofing" has always been futile.
>>
>>54324789
skylake does ddr4 and m2 so I'm good for at least 4-5 years
>>
>>54324789
>still worrying about drop-in CPU replacements in 2016

it may have made a difference in 1995 but it won't make a difference now, by the time you actually have to upgrade your CPU your system will be up for total replacement anyway
>>
There is no jewing, LGA 1151 will support Kaby Lake & Cannonlake
>>
>>54324993
No, it makes a difference now. Anyone who invested in a sandy bridge system is able to upgrade to a top of the line haswell that will give them another 5 years of relevance . I wouldn't expect the same thing going from skylake but I'd hope to get the next tick cycle CPU at least
>>
X58 is still relevant, so until that dies off I'd wait.

I've wasted tons of my money thinking that upgrading every two years is an investment when I upgraded to a 144Hz monitor and now I feel the desire to make ALL my games run 144fps if they can.

computers really are toys in the eyes of immature people like me who only use them for gaming. I can remote into my work computer from home with my phone, and that's really all the computing power I should need.
>>
>>54324832
>It's not like they change the configuration for shits and giggles
no, it's to force new mobos so you can't just upgrade.
>>
>>54324789
It will be interesting to see how the architecture changes now that we're hitting the limits of what we can do with silicon dies.

Honestly though do you really want to buy the latest enthusiast processors every fucking year? Your skylake system will be good for years to come for everything you want to do except bragging rights about having the latest shit.
>>
>>54324789
>It's not like they change the configuration for shits and giggles. It's generally to add features, PCI lanes, memory controller, etc.

That's absolute bullshit though. It's literally just an excuse to sell new motherboards. It used to be the case that things had to change to add more pins, but we've had more than enough for years now. Many aren't even used on modern CPUs, which is why you can sometimes get away with breaking a couple off and not kill the chip/board.

These days Intel just tinker with things, adding a pin here or taking one away there in order to force obselescence. There's literally no other reason.
>>
>>54324907
>>54325046
>>54325155
you are assuming that we will have the same stagnation we've had the last years. If zen makes AMD start competing your current CPU wont last 5 years.
>>
>>54325046
>Anyone who invested in a sandy bridge system is able to upgrade to a top of the line haswell

What? Sandy Bridge and Haswell don't use the same socket, retard. Even the E variants don't use the same socket.
>>
>>54325155
>every year
No, I want a budget skylake CPU now with the knowledge that when the time comes to upgrade I can get a top of the line next gen CPU which will last me a while
>>
>>54325209

Let's say you want to add more pcie lanes but you've run out of pins, what happens then?
>>
>>54325220
>your current CPU wont last 5 years.
>5 years

Have you ever actually held on to single system for 5 fucking years? 5 years is a fucking epoch.

>>54325244
So you're buying a shitty CPU now and for some reason you can't buy a 6700K 2-3 years from now just because it isn't the latest architecture? It will still good and even if the latest CPU was 1551 it will probably be bottlenecked by the other shit you bought today.
>>
>>54325209
Explain to me how you would use old CPUs on a chipset with an entirely new instruction set and architecture.

Changing the pins isn't just about deprecating old CPUs, it's about making sure retards don't plug the wrong shit. Because that wouldn't fucking work. But yeah jews.
>>
>>54325305
>Have you ever actually held on to single system for 5 fucking years? 5 years is a fucking epoch.
Yeah, and they have traditionally sucked after that long, but this time that's not the case. Current system is 5 years and going strong.
>>
>>54325220

Why wouldn't it last for 5 years?
Just because there's more powerful stuff out there?

First of all I seriously doubt that they can squeeze that much more power from silicon and second, just because there's more powerful powerful thing on the market, that doesn't mean that you have to go and buy every damn upgrade.
That's just retarded consumerism.

You can bet your ass that if you buy 6700k now, you can still use it without it becoming a bottleneck in any gayming related activities 5 years from now.
Even at the very moment a 5 year old 2700k is more than good enough for pretty much everything people on this board do.
>>
>>54325451
>if you buy 6700k now, you can still use it without it becoming a bottleneck in any gayming related activities 5 years from now
What about a 6500? I am a poorfag and I desperately need an upgrade.
>>
>>54325305
>Have you ever actually held on to single system for 5 fucking years? 5 years is a fucking epoch.
My current computer is from 2012. I don't see why it would suddenly stop being useful a year from now, let alone another two or three.
It isn't 2004 anymore, most people would use a computer from 2010 without any problems, in fact many people on /g/ do. See: ThinkPads from 2010 and earlier.
>>
>>54325451
>Why wouldn't it last for 5 years?
>Just because there's more powerful stuff out there?

Yes. Because that is how upgrades work. If CPU progress stopped completely no one would buy a new one unless their current one broke. Better stuff being out there is the basis for upgrading. Both because software will use more resources, and because you'll really want a new system when you can get a CPU that's something like 4x faster.

>You can bet your ass that if you buy 6700k now, you can still use it without it becoming a bottleneck in any gayming related activities 5 years from now.
Maybe, I'm not saying I know CPUs will progress faster or slower than now.

>Even at the very moment a 5 year old 2700k is more than good enough for pretty much everything people on this board do.
yes.
>>
>>54325474
Yes, well I have a computer from 2009 that can still run 90% of the things I need as well as any other system.

But when I got money to upgrade, I didn't buy a goddamn CPU that could fit in 7 year old socket and I can't see myself buying only a CPU upgrade for the Haswell system I built last year. I bought a workstation with the latest architecture, both have enough performance for anything I need and a small boost in processing power is irrelevant for non-super computer applications.

Motherboards/RAM is relatively cheap. I don't understand why this is an issue for OP. If you think skylake is a meme then buy 2011 Xeons or something, in any case you're going to be waiting a few years before they switch from 1551 pins and then you'll probably be hesitant to buy that too.
>>
>>54325346
You're a goddamned retard without even a basic grasp of how CPUs or motherboards work. Supporting older CPUs on the same socket whilst introducing new features is absolutely trivial. There is absolutely no reason why the socket needs to change beyond Intel being kikes.

>B-b-but I know best! You're wrong! Wrong wrong wrong!!!

There's a literal example of this on the market right now. Just look at AMD you brainwashed cuck. The AM3+ socket supports everything back to the Phenom IIs, despite the fact that they don't support any of the more modern instruction sets that the FX line do, and are based on a completely different architecture (and K10 and Bulldozer/it's bastard children are far more different than Intel's recent changes).

You can run a Phenom II on four generations of AMD chipsets and four different sockets, because it's fucking easy for them provide that functionality. Intel just choose not to.
>>
>>54325761
>You can run a Phenom II on four generations of AMD chipsets and four different sockets, because it's fucking easy for them provide that functionality. Intel just choose not to.

No retard it's because AMD forces their motherboard partners to buy and use 3rd party add on chips for USB 3.0 or more than 2 SATA 3.0 ports.
They could build all these things into the CPU but that'd require them to change pin configurations.
>>
>>54325046
Don't even need to upgrade from Sandy Bridge. CPU is not currently the bottleneck.
>>
>>54325816
>They could build all these things into the CPU
For what purpouse? AMD motherboards are still cheaper than intel ones.
>>
>>54325761
Companies are jews who care about profits. This isn't fucking news, but back compatability is not fucking trivial. It's far easier to have incompatible chipsets.
>>
>>54325848
Because 3rd party controllers always perform flawlessly /s

More board logic on the CPU die is always preferred.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.