[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From a poll on alcoholics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: tamMcc7.png (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tamMcc7.png
40 KB, 1280x720
Why is this the case /g/? What makes substance abuse so common among jobs in the technology sector?

Full survey: imgur.com/a/f33Ui
>>
>>54300625
I know for a fact the government workers are lying
>>
>expecting people with an addiction to be honest about their problem

Goddamn, you stupid.
>>
>>54300625
it's stressful. Most places you're always fighting fires or trying to get version X+1 out before the marketing department's deadline, and there's no time or budget to do things properly. You're salaried so they can page you at 2am when production goes down without having to pay you overtime. You're expected to train yourself on your own time. Your users are clueless at best and actively hostile and malicious at worst.

really I'm surprised there's anyone at all in the industry that isn't at the very least an alcohol
>>
>>54300649

How do you know this, anon? FWIW, I have not taken the survey, but I do work in government.
>>
File: UTCPCfn.png (125 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
UTCPCfn.png
125 KB, 1280x720
How were graphs like this made?

Also where is this from OP?
>>
>>54300705
every government employee I know drinks heavily after work, every day.
they all sight hiding it from their employers though (save the FAA, they all are a bunch of party animals).
>>
>>54300686
Same with infosec, everyone I know is an alcoholic in some way in infosec. During one of the first Defcons, the people there did more alcohol sales in one weekend than the hotel normally got in like 3 or 4 months.
>>
>>54300686
IT alcoholic here, let's hug it out
>>
>>54300743

>Implying that I can't drink and shitpost at the same time.
>>
>>54300714
leddit /r/cripplingalcoholism

Do you think it's because reddit's demographics tend to be more geared towards young, "internet savy" people?
>>
>>54300625
Stealing from some comedian, but:

Imagine a race of people known as "users". Now imagine you're a racist.
>>
>>54300625
The inferences you are trying to make about the true proportion of IT people who are alcoholics should not be made based on that data.
>>
>>54300625
codeine > alcohol
>>
That graph is meaningless. For it to have any meaning, the data needs to be scaled to the proportion of the general non-alcoholic population that is in each industry.
>>
File: 50556746.gif (2 MB, 350x251) Image search: [Google]
50556746.gif
2 MB, 350x251
>>54300625
Having worked in IT, it doesn't surprise me at all.
>>
>>54300743
Same thing for the bankers. And I mean the ones that make a lot of money. Got family in the banking industry. Bitch be drinking all goddamn day. But when you're rich it's called being "sophisticated"
>>
>>54300625
The Ballmer Peak

/thread
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.