[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucked up and bought a QHD+ laptop (Dell XPS 13 2015). I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Arch-linux-logo.png (41 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Arch-linux-logo.png
41 KB, 1200x1200
I fucked up and bought a QHD+ laptop (Dell XPS 13 2015). I'm downloading Arch right now, what DE would be best for HiDPI?
>>
>>51279974
Didn't it come with windows 10 preinstalled?
>>
>>51279974
I hear Gnome twerks well with HiDPI, but honestly, I have never bothered with such useless technology, a 1366x768 screen has always been enough. Everything else seems like pointless hype to me, even though I HAVE seen HiDPI screens, but the difference is not worth the premium.

Anyway, if you hate how Gnome currently works, I advice making heavy use of keyboard shortcuts, disabling the autistic activities crap and replacing it with a menu, then disabling the hot-corner. Also, strip-out most of the useless Gnome 3 bloat, the end-result should be a comfy DE that just werks
>>
>>51279987
It came with Windows 8.1, but I'm tired of Windows.

>>51280006
Yea, HiDPI is pretty much a placebo. After 1920x1080, it's pointless. I'm leaning towards Gnome, but do you know if KDE works well?
>>
>>51280058
You would know windows 10 is a free upgrade if you read the sticky.
>>
Cinnamon works pretty well.
>>
>>51279974
windows 10 is pretty gud
>>
>>51280058
Honestly, I have never tried it, because every time I touch KDE, it feels like it's trying really hard to replicate Windows on Linux but with more customization. I've always been more for simplicity and light-ness.

I suggested Gnome, because while keeping up with the release notes for the latest couple release, I always see stuff about getting HiDPI better, etc, so I suppose Gnome is best-in-class, but I will also venture a guess that Cinnamon (based on Gnome, one of my favorite DEs) works quite well, too.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

I would still suggest trying each to find the one which twerks best with you.

>>51280168
>>51280235
>botnet OS
>tracking cannot be turned off
NSA pls.

Also, OP, if you value privacy and security, I'd suggest going to FreeBSD or OpenBSD, but if you value gaymen, more software, and more mainstream-ness, then go with linucks.

If you a c.u.c.k use Winblows 10. If you really NEED Winblows software, get Windows 7 Enterprise.
>>
>>51280006
>1366x768
>>
>>51280372
>release notes for the latest couple release, I always see stuff about getting HiDPI better
according to those release notes HiDPI support is a new feature again for every release in the last few years. in more likelihood X11 is just completely broken and those hacks don't really work.

>if you value privacy and security, I'd suggest going to FreeBSD or OpenBSD
suggesting FreeBSD without ASLR for security is retarded.
OpenBSD doesn't care about desktopfags. it's all in unsupported ports.
>>
>>51279974
>I'm downloading Arch right now
arch's shitty kernel doesn't even have skylake support yet. get Ubuntu 15.10, which backported it.
>>
>>51280006
>1366x768
>1080p "pointless"
bait harder faggot
>>
>>51280494
>>51280452
I'm not even joking, I see no difference.

>>51280473
Honestly, maybe. Maybe.
On the bright side, Wayland is nearing release by the second!

Unsupported ports, eh, maybe. But FreeBSD does care about Desktop fags, as they're the only BSD (AFAIK) to have Nvidia support.
I still believe BSD has less NSA ayy lmao backdoors than Linucks, for a few logical reasons, plus the existence of less tinfoil articles about it. (Even though the tinfoil articles actually make lots of sense.)
>>
https://www.sven.de/dpi/
http://dpi.lv/

~/.Xresources

Xft.dpi: your-monitor's-dpi(/ppi)
>>
>>51280622
applies font well for gtk2 and qt3 applications, gtk3 and qt4/5 zooms everything
>>
>>51280372
>tracking cannot be turned off
nothing to worry about if you're not pedo scum or terrorist subhuman
>>
>>51280821
>Allows Microshit to track because he has nothing to hide
>Doesn't believe in free speech becaus ehe has nothing to say
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.