[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Questions Thread - SQT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: dwight-question[1].png (567 KB, 1012x749) Image search: [Google]
dwight-question[1].png
567 KB, 1012x749
Old thread, passed the bump limit: >>51240733

Post your stupid/short questions here!

You are NOT entitled to a reply, so please don't bump for replies.

Also, take a few moments to search your problem before posting it.

Thanks, everyone.
>>
I want to buy new PC parts soon. Is there any reason why I should spend more than $100 on the mainboard? All I need is:
USB 3.0
PCI-e slot for a soundcard
PCI-e slot for a single R9 390
>>
Okay, so, I'm in a dorm right now, and our campus internet rules disallow the use of one's own computer as a server or webhost. I'm looking for the best bang-for-your-buck VPS that could:
> Run a Minecraft server smoothly, with, say, 32 players and a handful of mods and plugins
> Host a website that allows small file uploads/transfers a la FTP (work in progress, not sure how I want to implement this), an overview of the Minecraft server map(s) (updated hourly), and a few other things I maybe choose to put on it.
> Be manageable from my dorm room; I have enough experience with Linux and the patience to learn commands and other things.
Anyone have experience with VPS hosters? I've done a little research, and most of the ones I'm looking at seem to run in the $20-30 range. Are there any cheaper/better ones?
Thanks in advance, to whoever responds. I appreciate experience.
>>
I upgraded my windows 8.1 to 10 a few months ago. I have the old windows 8 pro disk I originally installed it with, and the product key in the box. Can I do a clean install of windows 8 pro again using that product key?
>>
ST3000DM001 vs DT01ACA300
>>
File: bemutatkozott_a_cougar_700m_1.jpg (336 KB, 1100x900) Image search: [Google]
bemutatkozott_a_cougar_700m_1.jpg
336 KB, 1100x900
Need recommendations for new mouse, I fell for the "many buttons + crazy shape = best" meme and I dislike related mouse now. I need my mouse to have a scroll lock/unlock and at least 3 buttons in addition to the usual m1,2,3

Was thinking about picking up a G500S but I've heard tales of mouse acceleration on those.
>>
>>51258507
Shouldn't be any problem. Worst case, you have to call the Microsoft activation service.
>>
>>51258632
Logitech g502 proteus core

It does do the autistic gaymer marketing, but at the end of the day it is a solid optical mouse that is very productivity friendly
>>
>>51258632
Look at it from an R&D point of view.
It would have taken considerable (comparatively) time to design that, which is tagged onto total cost and possibly overall quality.
>>
How hard is it to port the modern games or for example latest version of Photoshop to Linux?
>>
File: 1441721379478.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1441721379478.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Anyone on Arch Linux just download the new update for freetype 2 infinality?
What the fuck did they do? my text looks like blurry shit now.
Anyone else got this problem? how fix?
>>
Should i do clean install If i want windows 10 or maybe upgrade
>>
My little brother installed warcraft 3 when i wasn't home and he installed some ad-ware and shit with it.I scanned the pc with Malwarebytes and it found two trojans now i removed them but are they really removed, do i need to reinstall windows ?
>>
>>51258851
Do a full scan with whatever youre using as virus defender. I dont think you need clean instal
>>
File: Concerned Selim.jpg (52 KB, 346x339) Image search: [Google]
Concerned Selim.jpg
52 KB, 346x339
I Just built a new computer after not having one for a little over a month and I can't get my monitor to recognize it.

I actually have two towers right now and one I could get display out of by fiddling with it for a little bit (I have no idea why it worked but it did) and the other doesn't show anything no matter what.

It may also be worth point out that for the one that worked I plugged the hdmi cable directly into the motherboard and for the other one I have it going through the gpu because the motherboard doesn't have a hdmi port. Also the keyboard on the no-display one doesn't light up which means that it probably isn't even booting into windows.

Anyone ever have this problem? What's happening?
>>
g3258 vs skylake vs amd?
My am2 Phenom died yesterday and I can't afford both i5 and good motherboard right now but will probably upgrade in a few months.
>>
Occasionally I hear sounds coming from inside my computer. I don't really know how to describe them but they sound like something hitting against something else. I only hear them when I'm running games and such and my GPU (and presumably CPU as well) is being engaged so I assume it has something to do with that. What could it be? Fans?
>>
Is Tor still secure?
>>
>>51258841
Upgrade should be fine unless you have tonnes of crap all over the place.
>>
>>>/trash/40797

comment pls
>>
Opinions on this phone ??

http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/innjoo-fire-plus-dual-sim-16gb-4g-lte-gold-40813600033/u/
>>
I'm using windows 10 and I connected to the wifi of ky university, I should open the web browser and enter a URL, at this point I should see a web page requesting my autentication username and password, the problem is that I don't see anything. Anyone knows what to do?
>>
Programming languages. Used to know a little c. Pretty much forgot it all. Learning python for fun, I want a general purpose language for scripting, not positive if python is it though. Are there newer languages that are as simple as python without the retarded community divide?
>>
>>51259634
Try a different browser
>>
>>51259634
Try different web browser and see if difference between https vs http. Also for whatever fucking reason that shit would never come up unless I tried to go to Google at my uni>>51259634
>>
File: iconpackllama.png (79 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
iconpackllama.png
79 KB, 256x256
/g/ Evening.
Im looking for a open source web app i can host on my website that connects to my FTP server and streams my balkan hits.

For personal use. Of course.

because fuck you spotify.

Got 'ne recomendations?

https://youtu.be/fOg7mj1_-sk
>>
>>51258224

i only have 32bit windows 7 my chinese steam friend say downloaded the 64bit patch from a tech support site i still can't install 64 programs and sometimes window logs off by itself
>>
I have what I think is an RFID card. I want to scan this card using my phone and later use my phone to emulate the card. I feel with NFC this is possible. Thoughts?
>>
File: Untitled.png (91 KB, 289x217) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
91 KB, 289x217
Anyone else have Xfinity? Can I make the screen on the top right full screen?
>>
>>51259861
did your chinese friend call you out of the blue and say he worked for microsoft?
>>
>>51259912

no on steam
>>
>>51258249
It's about the make of the board, and factors that you didn't know you'd care about till you bought it. If it's your personal computer, just make sure it'll serve for 2 years, and that it's not a sketchy brand like v-color.
>>51259448
The entry and exit nodes are harder to trust now, so you might need someone to make a bridge for you, and you may want to specify exit node.
>>
How fucked am I if I really need 8 sata? All modern motherboards seem to have at most 6. Can I just connect any old hdd to the sata express or whatever that new thing is called?
>>
>>51259898
I have what I think is an Paper document. I want to scan this document using my scanner and later use my scanner to emulate the paper. I feel with USB this is possible. Thoughts?
>>
>>51259967
>8 drives
so you're probably gonna be running raid, so why not just pick up a raid card?
>>
>>51259937
you can not "apply a patch" to 32 bit system, you need to make a complete reintall of 64-bit copy of windows
>>
File: 1446981560187[1].jpg (52 KB, 640x350) Image search: [Google]
1446981560187[1].jpg
52 KB, 640x350
Why is it my Micro SD cards always report lower speeds than advertised? It's not just one card either, pretty much every card I have seems to give me shittier speeds than what they're supposed to.

I know when it says UP TO Xmbps it's unlikely to be Xmbps but even looking at user reviews everyone else seems to get much more preferable speeds.

Is there any possible reason for this? I don't understand and have tested on more than one device
>>
>>51259998
You're an absolute Morlock
>>
>>51259573
It's priced at nexus 5x. The difference is that this has sd card slot, older android, second sim slot (not necessary for Google fi *nudge nudge*) and desu I have no idea how the cpus compare.
>looks at price again
Aaaand never mind because dirhams, so it's more like comparing to a moto g or zenphone 2e or something. UAE uses GSM, right? I'd prolly buy the crap outta this phone, but I wouldn't trust the "great for multitasking" marketing. Check the processor.
>>
>>51260008
>raid card
Lol nope, real raid is way too expensive and driver raid is shit. Anyway it's actually for three different system ssds, three storage drives in raid5 and two esata externals.
>>
>>51260090
sata card then?
>>
With black friday coming up, I'm looking for an external drive.

What's a good brand/model I should be looking out for?

I plan on using it to back up personal and work projects since my computer is filling up fast. Fast read/write speed is a plus, but not required.
>>
>>51260128
brotip, you want something that's self powered rather than power over usb. in my experience if it draws power over usb then it's not gonna last much more than six months before you start getting corrupt files and shit
>>
>>51258304
How about you act your age and not play games for autistic 12 year olds
>>
>>51258632
Razer Naga Hex. It's the only Razer product I use, its comfortable, and has 6 easy to use buttons on the inside of the mouse.
>>
File: VLF-R-I.jpg (34 KB, 300x347) Image search: [Google]
VLF-R-I.jpg
34 KB, 300x347
So, I have something like this as my water meter.
I want to collect its data through pulse out and send it to my Service provider via email.
How do I do that? Any thoughts about arduino or raspberry pi?
>>
>>51260147
Thanks for the tip. Got any recommendations?

Most if not all of the ones I've seen have been USB powered.
>>
>>51260167
I've had good luck with wd mybooks
>>
>>51260207

Thanks looks great. Now let's hope the price will go down even more this black friday.
>>
>>51260222
I've seen the three terrorbite ones at walmart and office depot for like one ten, I'm not sure it can get any lower than that
>>
I want to purchase a cheap 120gb SSD for an old laptop. But when looking online I found three models of Sandisk SSD's for the exact same price.

Sandisk Z400s
Sandisk SSD Ultra II
Sandisk SSD Plus

Which one should I pick? They all rook the same.
>>
File: 1445864311780.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1445864311780.png
11 KB, 211x246
>>51258224
Why do modulus as in absolute value and modulus as in the % thing have the same name? Who thought this would be a good idea?
>>
My friends 4 year old AMD system is shitting itself. Bios stopped posting but after a reset it starts again, however after running Windows for about 20 minutes the USB loses power and GPU stops displaying anything but the fans keep going. This happens while running games or just being idling in Windows. Everything is clocked to stock speeds.
We're trying to figure out what the faulty part is but we're not sure if it's the motherboard or the PSU. Anyone got any idea what could be the cause and how to test it (no spare PSU to test with sadly).
>>
Why does my windows 8.1 "System" process use 14% of my CPU? It's an i7-6700k.

How is this even possible? How do I fix this?
>>
File: 20151105_211956.jpg (535 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151105_211956.jpg
535 KB, 2048x1152
Is it fixable? Some caps far away from ram look slightly inflated.

>>51260417
Your bios should be able to display at least the basic psu voltage info, more expensive ones might have sensors for ram etc. Pic is example of faulty motherboard and good psu.
Also run memtest, 2-5 full loops, and some cpu stability\stress test.
>>
File: 1369308699895.png (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1369308699895.png
11 KB, 300x300
What's the cheapest I can expect a 120-144hz monitor to cost during the black friday sale?

Anyone have experience with this from last year?
>>
Should you convert lossy to FLAC if you cannot source a lossless version of the audio file?

The rationale being that even though the original file is lossy should you have to transcode it again for whatever reason you won't lose additional quality to generational loss.

Basically
320kbps mp3 -> FLAC -> 256kbps mp3
is better than
320kbps mp3 -> 256kbps mp3

Right?
>>
>>51260452
rootkit
>>
>>51260671
>Right?
no

the two examples you gave will give exactly the same result
>>
>>51260717
If that's true then why does generational loss even happen at all?
>>
>>51260717
to explain why that is, internally it looks like this;
320kbps mp3 > decode to raw audio > encode to flac (no loss) > decode to raw audio > encode to 256kbps mp3
and;
320kbps > decode to raw audio > encode to 256kbps mp3
>>
What's a nice portable small laptop near $200-300 with good battery life?

Just need one for university notes and study.
>>
>>51260750
because the 320kbps mp3 'source' already has sustained loss incurred by being encoded to 320kbps mp3 from whatever source it itself was made from

encoding that again means the next encoder will only have what the 320kbps mp3 left behind to work with in making the new encoding

that said;
320k mp3 > 128k opus
is better than, say,
320k mp3 > 256k mp3 > 128k opus
as you avoid potential additional/generational loss from the 256k mp3 stage
though ideally you want to make the '128k opus' from the source that was used to make the 320k mp3 in the first place
>>
>>51260787
Fair enough. I think I get it now.

If I don't have a lossless audio file then any transcoding I do should always come from the highest quality file I have or can find as it will incur the least loss.
>>
>>51260815
yes, if you want to be able to make new encodes with minimal generational loss, then keep a copy of the highest quality source from which to make new encodes from
having only a 320k mp3 means generational loss in inevitable, but you can at least avoid more than one extra generation
for example;
do:
320k mp3 > 128k opus
320k mp3 > 48k he-aac
320k mp3 > 256k mp3
etc

don't:
320k mp3 > 128k opus > 48k he-aac > 256k mp3

ideally you want to just use only 320k mp3, as any additional lossy encodes from it will be worse than what they would be from the original source, but when compatibility or size is a barrier for a certain use, then always source new versions from the best file you have, never generations below it
>>
Qt5, how/where are fonts and DPI for Qt5 applications configured without a DE settings manager?
>>
Hey /g/, I'm pretty much computer illiterate, and recently, I pirated the original Assassin's Creed, but I'm scared it may have given me a RAT virus, how do I tell if I have one?
>>
>>51261082
monitor your network traffic using something like sysinternals on windows, or little snitch on mac
>>
File: ec7.png (2 KB, 50x37) Image search: [Google]
ec7.png
2 KB, 50x37
Hey /g/, just curious as to what we call icons like pic related when they look like this? Do they have a name?
>>
>>51258224
A friend of mine wants a gaming laptop (I know...) since he is traveling abroad next year. He is interested in one within the range of 600-800€. The problem is that said laptop is from some brand like MSI or Asus and he strongly dislikes the "Gamur Gear" theme of those. Are there any more sutile alternatives to this?
>>
File: p0mf.png (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
p0mf.png
55 KB, 500x500
what else is there apart from pomf.se for all in one small file/image hosting that is secure?
>>
Android and SIM cards.

Want to switch SIM for LTE testing purposes (another carrier). Will this be just a SIM switch and nothing else or when I switch BACK to my main card I would have to set things again?
>>
>>51261308
https://madokami.com/
>>
>>51260766
>What's a nice portable small laptop near $200-300 with good battery life?
I bet Lenovos X220 are your friends if they are found in such price range (I just came up with it, haven't look on ebay or such).
>>
>>51260289
>I want to purchase a cheap 120gb SSD for an old laptop. But when looking online I found three models of Sandisk SSD's for the exact same price.
Look which revision is SATA in your notebook and which is the SSD.
Choose the one with the longest warranty.
>>
>downloaded a bunch of music from a private tracker
>loaded my shit in foobar and used replaygain
>next time I load qbittorrent torrents are all fucked up, it tries to recheck them but can't
>basically can't seed back now

Could this be from the replaygain? I don't think it changes the actual files themselves. Is it qshittorrent? I'm lost.
>>
>>51261207
Anyone?
>>
Diceware passwords vs the Randomly generated gibberish ones that password managers use?

I know obviously with diceware the objective is to remember them yourself, but how secure are they against non guessing attacks?

I have trouble trusting password managers because they require me to backup the database file in a secure location. And I cannot in all honesty trust myself to responsibly back it up and tuck it away in a corner for who knows how many years. Probably it'll be perfectly fine, I just don't like the existence of the very slim possibility though.
>>
I'm using NetBSD and cant seem to change wallpaper on awesomewm, does anyone know how can I do it without installing other software?
>>
>>51261321
Respond pls, I don't want to mess.
>>
I want to dual boot win10/arch, already have win10 installed
My laptop has 2 SSD's so that should make it easy right
I made arch work on a VM so I shouldn't have any problems I guess
but where do I install the bootloader (win SSD or arch SSD) and what bootloader do I choose?
>grub2
>syslinux (MBR)
>syslinux (/)
>>
How much FPS is it normal to achieve on GPUs like the 970/980Ti/390 today on CS:GO and other games that isn't too graphics heavy? I'm thinking about getting a 4K monitor, but monitors with FPS higher than 60 is a little bit outside my price range. If I'm thinking way ahead, is it justifiable to get a cheaper 60Hz monitor (I have 1080p @ 60Hz now and it's okay I guess) and just roll with it or should I wait for cheaper 120/144Hz monitors?
>>
>>51260149
>>>51258304
>How about you act your age and not play games for autistic 12 year olds
>>51260149
/thread
>>
I developed a hatred of HP around 2009 after my first laptop of theirs experienced a myriad of issues (display problems, BSODing, overheating despite constant cleanings). I vowed I'd never go back to HP.

However, I really need a new laptop and I've fallen in love with a HP one: http://www.ebuyer.com/723847-hp-255-g4-laptop-p5t27es-abu? . I need the laptop to be portable, have a good battery and have a good processor. That has all of those, plus the benefits of a great HDD size, a slighty okay graphics which means I could play older games and an amazing price (£240 after a cashback deal).

Should I go for it? I'm not sure if HP have cleaned their act up since, although I felt a HP Stream a few days ago and the build quality was really nice.
>>
I am running Firefox on Xubuntu 14.04 and I can't play YouTube videos in any video quality other than 360p and 720p, but the same video played in 144, 240, 480 etc on Windows.
Why?
>>
>>51260685

I scanned with mcaffee and malwarebytes but both didn't find anything.

The same problem is even on my linux distro.
>>
When I reboot my RPi running OpenELEC through the web interface (Chorus) it also reboots my router. Why would this be and how could I make it not be? It seems like madness to me desu.
>>
How badly do Adobe applications work for basic usage (not enormous files) on tablets equivalent to x86 netbooks? I can get one for 50 bucks and I do some basic work from time to time, and that would also help me jump to linux on my main computer.
>>
>>51258224
How do I know what type of RAM I should buy for my laptop without opening it up? It's a ThinkPad x201
>>
>>51262693

Just open your laptop you fag what are you afraid of do you think a ghost lives in there
>>
>>51262709
Not him but you never know

I found a faggot once
>>
Why should I use Apple products, knowing it's pure shit ?
>>
>>51262709
I wanna order the RAM now and I don't have the tools to open it up
>>
>>51261856
Because you are in HTML 5 mode, you should activate/install a flashplayer plugin.
>>
>>51261822
Still really tempted, please let me know if anyone has HP horror stories/good stories or if any of the parts seem shit.
>>
File: 1445056678157.jpg (172 KB, 1300x958) Image search: [Google]
1445056678157.jpg
172 KB, 1300x958
/diy/ reporting for backup, keen to set up a bunch of shared space across two hard disks (non raid) in an HP N40L, running media server 2011.

> TL;DR, How does /g/ set up their shares?

Plan is for 7 directories in total. 3 media (TV, music, movies), two personal, one torrent, and one public. I have set up appropriate user accounts to assign access per directory and am planning size limits per directory. Home environment, but I am pic related XP level with such toys, the hardware was dirt cheap, may as well form some good habits on my first server build.

In terms of access control and space management policies, is it "best practice" to use a directory, or dedicated partitions on the hard disks, for each allotment of space? I anticipate the media storage space will grow from their current sizes, and while discrete directories per sharespace makes this a non issue until the host HDD fills, my gut is telling me partitions per sharespace is more secure (user can encrypt if they want). I can resize the partitions easily enough if needed down the line.

Wut do?
>>
Ugg. Hey /g/entoomen. I am currently dealing with cleaning my home computer's NTFS partition from adware, bloatware, bullshit, you know the works. Anyway after I finish cleaning the shit off the fan blades, I was thinking about setting up a limited user account.

All I really need is a way to prevent installation of programs/software, unless an administrator password is provided. Now I have absolutely zero experience with Group Policy, so I'm at a loss for what to do here. If you guys have any suggestions that'd be great.

>inb4 install gentoo

My family, wouldn't know how to work it cuz their retards.

Oh and my kid brother is responsible for the bloatware. Fuckin slim driver bullshit. Anyways I just need a way to prevent installation, so basically creating an administrator account.
>>
File: 1384595496299.gif (109 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1384595496299.gif
109 KB, 200x200
>>51262855
>>
what do you guys think about wacom ctl-470?
>>
I'm trying to a somewhat decent PC for as little money as possible. I was thinking something along the lines of this. Is this fine? Is there anything that I should change?

The total currently is $674, though I plan on shopping around.
>>
>>51263051
shit, just noticed the micro atx mobo.

Ignoring that, is there anything I should change.
>>
>>51262855
Just make another account and limit the privileges. You don't need to fuck with group policy.

That being said, you're just going to piss off your family unless you okay it with whoever paid for that computer.
>>
>>51263051
That's a lot to spend on the CPU.

What's your budget?

What are you going to use it for?

Specific games you want to play?
>>
>>51262744
You shouldn't, unless you just like the software.

Otherwise, you're just limiting what you can do with your device and paying too much for the specs.
>>
>>51258224

At which point is it acceptable to say: "I know (ex. Ruby)". How well should you be able to use a language, to officially state the above?
>>
>>51263117
Enough to do most basic operations in the language.

Frankly, as long as you can sit down and solve any issue with a quick Google, you 'know' a language.

Now, throwing terms like 'proficient' and 'experienced' and 'mastery' requires a whole 'nother level of knowledge.
>>
>>51263144
Well, that clears a few things for me. Thank you!
>>
>>51263117
When you are fluent with it and it comes naturally without much thinking

read some Wittgenstein
>>
>>51263051

I'm wanting to spend no more than $750, but I'd prefer less if possible.

The only specific games that I really plan on playing are Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 (when it comes out). I don't need to play on the highest quality either.

Also I produce music.
>>
>>51263165
By the way, don't ask /dpt/.

They'll tell you 'knowing' a language requires you to implement every known sorting algorithm, as well as creating an implementation for at least 12 other languages within your language.
>>
>>51263177
If I were you, I'd take a look at the 'Great'-tier here:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Sub out the processor for an 8350 or your choice of i5.

I'd recommend going with at least a 120 SSD for OS and your music program files.

Also, software and hardware for mixing/making music is not cheap, so I hope you've already purchased/pirated that stuff.

I personally use Reason, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drop $1500 for software and add-ins, so I pirated.
>>
I installed my SSD yesterday and I want to throw in my HDD as a storage drive onto it

There's shit on it divided onto 3 partitions and I want to format everything and create just 2 partitions

What's the most effective way to do this lads?
>>
theres a digital 'clock' or something on my mobo.
what is this ? temp or something ?
>>
>>51263349
Probably.

Either that or volts on your PCB.

Check the gyroscopic regulator on your PSU-a. It'll tell you that kind of stuff, including the rotational velocidensity required for the clock to even function.
>>
How do I know my router's IP?
>>
>>51263371
either look on its sticker, or guess
try clicking on these;
http://192.168.0.1
http://192.168.0.100
http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.100
http://10.0.0.1
http://10.0.0.100
http://10.1.1.1
http://10.1.1.100
>>
>>51263395
also try "10" as the last octet
>>
I was directed here, but i will still apologise for the stupd question, i have an andrioid phone... Do i need an antivirus? And if so whats the best free scanner for droid?
>>
File: 1355262788275.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1355262788275.gif
1 MB, 320x240
How can I prevent update KB2952664 from being installed without my permission?
've already uninstalled it 3 times, and every time it comes back. My windows update settings are set to "allow me to choose wether to download and install them", and yet, it keeps getting installed on my machine without my permission. It doesn't even show up in the history of updates I downloaded, and I made sure it DID show up in the hidden updates section, so why is it being reinstalled at all?
>>
>>51263371
Since you are this retarded I am assuming windows, open cmd and type ipconfig.
>>
>>51260149
Damn son you really showed me :^)
>>
>>51263643
install gentoo
(avoid systemd)
>>
>>51263717
Any solution that doesn't rely on switching systems?
>>
>>51263659
Linux actually
>>
>>51263659
which IP? Inside IP or outside IP. A router has 2.. cause you know it routes packets between networks.
>>
File: 234234234234.jpg (401 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
234234234234.jpg
401 KB, 1920x1080
Why is this happening?

I can't post for shit with appchan X enabled and it is driving me nuts.
>>
>>51264000
Having this very same problem
>>
>>51261574
I'm in this exact situation and wondering about this too.
>>
Where can I find a cheap fairly reliable 2tb+ HDD, that isn't slow as Christmas?

Preferably under $50 and 7200rpm
>>
What do people normally use arch for?
Or is it just something people use?
>>
File: erica_campbell.jpg (209 KB, 700x1012) Image search: [Google]
erica_campbell.jpg
209 KB, 700x1012
> Windows 10
> Two Monitors
> Desktop Icons set to List View Mode

Is there any way to set the icons to be on the right monitor instead of the left? The monitor on the right is already set as the default monitor.
>>
File: 1438341320934.jpg (183 KB, 837x959) Image search: [Google]
1438341320934.jpg
183 KB, 837x959
Flashed Lollipop onto my shitty chinkphone the other day and now the USB port doesn't work for data anymore, it still charges and everything but OTG no longer works and it doesn't detect/isn't detected by computers.

I've tried a number of USB and OTG cables with no luck.

It doesn't show up on lsusb when plugged in and wangblows doesn't detect it either, tested with different computers.

I've even tried reflashing a few times with no luck.

Any idea what a could be wrong?
It's a Ulefone Be Pro by the way.
>>
>>51264000
>>51264027
just use recaptcha v1
>>
>>51264104
no
>>
File: FancyPants.jpg (93 KB, 700x971) Image search: [Google]
FancyPants.jpg
93 KB, 700x971
>>51258224
Here is a stupid question for you /g/. I have finally and perminatly converted to Linux OS. I have chosen mint to be my transition. Now i want to take advantage of the customisable features. I always see cool themes and adjustments in desktop thread and now I am wondering how I can start installing some. Are there any good videos online of articles to read.
>>
>>51252039
>browser and OS
>Huh? What are "details"?
Firefox and Windows 7.
>>
File: tumblr_nbaejnannM1shuaz8o9_540.jpg (115 KB, 540x709) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbaejnannM1shuaz8o9_540.jpg
115 KB, 540x709
So I've installed something that uses python2 how do I run it if my system run python3 by default?

The package "dosage from the AUR are written in python 2 but the default python in arch are to python 3 is there a way to change that behavior to that application only?
>>
>>51264325
And suddenly it works again. Time is the greatest answer.
>>
>>51264360
$ python2 program.py

anything in the AUR should use .py files that specifiy python2 on the first line specifically, that is;
#!/usr/bin/python2

instead of;
#!/usr/bin/python

for the reason that arch defaults to 3
>>
File: subsonic activation.png (3 MB, 1364x4076) Image search: [Google]
subsonic activation.png
3 MB, 1364x4076
>>51259814
subsonic or plex
>>
Can I get files off of a computer that uses windows if I plug the hdd into a computer on Linux?
>>
What kind of performance hit can I expect to take with Fallout 4 with my CPU clocking at 2.4 and not 2.8 (minimum) all of my other specs are in line with recommended
>>
>>51264623
yes, linux supports ntfs quite well
>>
On Chrome for Android, it would use the mobile layout which I liked, but for whatever reason its switched to the desktop layout and it won't change back.
Is there a way I can force it to change back to mobile?
>>
>>51264645
clock frequency alone is a poor metric to compare cpus with

for example, a current generation i5 at 2.4GHz will smoke a 2.8GHz pentium 4 at any task
>>
>>51264645
Considering people at Bethesda (or Steam) think a Phenom II X4 945 is on par with an i5-2300, I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

I have a fucking i3 2120 and I'm not worried at all.
>>
File: 1417714177420.jpg (76 KB, 532x766) Image search: [Google]
1417714177420.jpg
76 KB, 532x766
>>51264507
Yes, I know that but It doesn't seems to work.
The two packages are "dosage" and "cum"
I changed that but still didn't work.
Why would someone post a non working package to AUR?
>>
>>51263583
No need for an antivirus unless you have a habit of installing a load of dodgy apps
>>
>>51259435
Download MSI afterburner and slowly increase the fan speed
If you hear the sound, it might mean the fan is on its way out
>>
>>51264278
gparted on a linux livecd like linux mint
>>
>>51264688
... anon, those are both python3 programs, and they both installed and worked for me
>>
>>51264774
Really?
My python command returns for 3.4.3 version
While my python2 returns for the 2.7 version.
Have you build them yourself or through yaourt?
>>
>>51264828
i'm using 3.5.0 and 2.7.10
i used yaourt, but that's no different to getting the PKGBUILD and making/installing the package manually
>>
Is it possible to buy a new laptop that duel boots into Windows and Linux? What stores could I buy that from?
>>
>>51264859
Well dosage installs normally with yaourt, but running it will give me this
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/dosage", line 18, in <module>
from dosagelib import events, configuration, singleton, director
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/dosagelib/events.py", line 11, in <module>
from . import rss, util, configuration
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/dosagelib/util.py", line 17, in <module>
import requests
ImportError: No module named 'requests'

While cum fails to build with this error.
==> Starting package_python-natsort()...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 9, in <module>
from setuptools import setup
ImportError: No module named 'setuptools'
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package_python-natsort().
Aborting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build python-natsort.

But setuptools are installed for both python 2 and 3
>>
>>51258224
What's so great about Gentoo?
>>
>>51264915
for the first one, make sure your system is up to date, the official python3 package is at version 3.5.0 in arch

for the second, if you're making it manually, make sure all dependancies are installed
==> cum dependencies:
- python (already installed)
- python-requests (already installed)
- python-click (package found)
- python-sqlalchemy (package found)
- python-beautifulsoup4 (package found)
- python-natsort (building from AUR)

==> Continue building cum ? [Y/n]
==> -----------------------------
==>
>>
>>51264875
> duel boot
Why did I think about some AI programming challenge where instead of simple abstract grid maps contestants have to deal with a grid of interconnected computers spoofing each other's input devices trying to overtake neighbouring bootloaders?
>>
>>51265005
Well dosage used to work with python 3.4 for me on debian.
As for cum yes all the dependencies are met.
==> cum dependencies:
- python-click (already installed)
- python (already installed)
- python-requests (already installed)
- python-sqlalchemy (already installed)
- python-beautifulsoup4 (already installed)
- python-natsort (building from AUR)
>>
I bought a GTX 970 about two weeks ago, and since then my monitors have been randomly turning off. Like, I haven't seen any pattern, I could be doing anything and they'll just cut out. Sometimes during playing games, sometimes whilst just browsing the internet. My screens just cut out with 'No Signal', but everything else like audio or people I'm speaking to on skype will still carry on, and they can still hear my mic. I've checked the drivers of the graphics card, so it's not that. I'm only asking here because I don't know what to google to find fixes, as monitors turning off is quite a common problem. IF the graphics card is the issue, it's still within the 30 days return period, so that's not an issue. Has anyone experienced this or heard of a fix for this?
>>
I have a tv with integrated LAN and WLAN
I don't exactly have a spare LAN port so could I feed the TV with stuff from my PC which is hooked up with my router via LAN ?
yeah I have no fucking clue about home networking
t-thanks
>>
File: 1439249350530.jpg (19 KB, 337x337) Image search: [Google]
1439249350530.jpg
19 KB, 337x337
Hey guys I have a strange problem.
I needed to make a loader for page so when it finishes loading it removes loader animation and shows the page and thats ok except the google map which is on the page doesnt get loaded. The frame is there , but map itself is blank.
Now hear this , when I zoom in/out page the map instantly appears?!!
What a hell do I do to make this load properly??
>>
>>51265157
i hate pages that implement content-covering loaders and by extention i hate you.
>>
What's an improved graphics card over an r9 280?
>>
>>51265212
ok , do you know the answer to my question?
>>
Build a rig for VR now or wait until next year for the potential big reveals from hardware giants?
>>
>>51265271
I'd wait until after CES
>>
Is the i5-4460 a good budget CPU or should i get a i3-4160 or push for a i5-4590?
>>
>>51265495
can't really answer that very well without context
>>
why does my volume from the mobo max my headphones out around 30 percent. Aka 0-30 the volume changes, but 30-100 it stays the same. Using both ath m50s and hd598s with a lga1336 p6t.
>>
If i install linux Mint, what do i have to get to go full paranoid and feel safe about my info security?

I want to buy some stuff trough internet and i dont feel safe placing my credit card info in my PC(reason im installing linux).
>>
>>51265515
I'm building a computer, but i have a somewhat limited budget and i want to get a CPU that is strong enough for games/etc.
And i want to know if the i5-4460 is good enough or get a cheaper CPU like the i3-4160 or a better one like the i5-4590.
I'm focusing my budget in the CPU and the Mobo.
>>
>>51265590
The problem is strong enough for games can mean either being able to play them (which the 4160 would handle I guess for the next year) or being able to play them without tearing your eyes out, which isn't that cheap.
>>
Should I get a r9 380 or a GTX 960? They both cost under $240
>>
>>51265633
I'm looking for 1080p@60FPS on games like 2014+ and im sure the i3 isn't good enough for that so i pushed my budget to get a cheap i5.

Leaving the GPU aside, is it good enough?
>>
Firefox is bloated and slow and run by SJWs, and i don't like the direction they're going with their design.

Chrome is botnet. Chromium is also run by SJWs and lacks the extensions I want.

Opera is Chrome-lite.

IE is obviously shit.

I'm on linux, so Safari is not an option.

Palemoon has many of the problems present in Firefox with almost no benefits.

Why isn't there a good browser that's fast while still having good extension support?
>>
>>51265680
You could probably handle stuff like GTA V at those settings with that on decent settings

>>51265684
Vivald--- sorry I can't it's just too funny
>>
File: activate.png (152 KB, 1024x583) Image search: [Google]
activate.png
152 KB, 1024x583
is KMSPico 10.0.9 safe? i need to activate office 2013

pic unrelated
>>
>>51265718
What is "decent settings" for you?

What could i do with a i5-4590 instead?
>>
best GNU/Linux distro for a noob who wants to learn Kali Linux afterwards?
>>
>>51265862
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH PLS GOD SEND US MORE l33t HAXZORS
>>
How well would a 680 be at 1080p at modern games like battlefront and Fallout?
In case I needed to upgrade what would be the choices? At the moment 1080p later on 1440p
>>
>>51265752
Decent settings means high shaders, high this, high that. I would suggest you to youtube that processor with the games you want to see running on it. Still keep in mind that bad console ports (new assassin's creed games, arkham blight) and some PC exclusive that may come out of nowhere trying to push boundaries won't really deal that well with that.
>>
File: Star_Topology.png (53 KB, 446x378) Image search: [Google]
Star_Topology.png
53 KB, 446x378
>>51265110
Yes, in these days, you nearly always go for star topology (Pic related). The piece in the middle is your router. You need to maintain a cable connection between every the router and every device that shall be in that network. So you just plug your computer into the router, the tv into the router and allow access to your media (DLNA/SMB are mostly supported. I recommend DLNA, as you can use apps like YAACC as a remote, but the TV needs to support it, which is very likely)
>>
>>51265538
If you like to store the information (not recommended), use luks to encrypt your HDD. Regardless of your decision: install a decent browser (I'd recommend Firefox, but that is personal taste) and security-improving addons like HTTPS everywhere or Certificate Patrol (Cert Pinning for every page). Also read up a bit on TLS/SSL so you understand the warnings and if you buy something, watch for https, because it will be the only way that your information is encrypted.

And think about where you shop, maybe look the shop up. Stay save and have fun shopping
>>
>>51266021
Thanks.
>>
Would It be a good idea to have a central 27" 1440p monitor and from both sides 2 29" ultrawide 1080p for my bst?

Something like
29" 27" 29"
What GPU should I buy for that kind of setup or just wait for pascal and buy something in the midrange, muh AAA gaymz
>>
Canuck here thinking of switching from Bell to Start.ca

Bells offering 15mbp fiber optics plus a modem upgrade, start.ca has a 50mbp DSL plan.

Which is better fiber optics or DSL?>>51266068
>>
File: umaru questionmark.png (513 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
umaru questionmark.png
513 KB, 1280x720
Is there anything besides clipconverter that enables me to download 1080p60fps from youtube?

Clipconverter is under german law and I don't want to get fucked for copyright violation. :(
>>
>>51265912
im a netsec student faggot

anyone else?
>>
File: Not_Happy.jpg (104 KB, 407x390) Image search: [Google]
Not_Happy.jpg
104 KB, 407x390
How do I make it to where the time in my notification bar only displays when I'm within an app, but when I'm on my home screen is doesn't show?
Android 5.1.1
>>
>>51266203
yes its called

[spoiler] your taste in anime is shit [/spoiler]
>>
File: japanese anime.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
japanese anime.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>51266226
Why do you hurt me anon senpai ;_;
>>
>>51266203
Don't know, but I could imagine that youtube-dl could do the job. Also, as far as I know, there are nearly no risks at downloading things in germany, especially not from youtube, as it is way to expensive to try to catch downloader. But well, as this information is illegal in germany without this sentence: I am not a lawyer and I am not offering any juristic service, so this is only as far as i know, nothing build on solid knowledge.
>>
>>51258224
How do you change your icon set in openbox?
>>
>>51266203
cant you just run torbrowser and use clipconverter through that, or just a VPN thats not based in yurop
>>
File: Untitled.png (47 KB, 662x721) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
47 KB, 662x721
>>51266251
youtube-dl doesn't go above 720p, since Youtube splits audio and video at 1080p for some retarded reason.

Pic related.
>>
>>51265005
Anon-kun?
>>
>>51266285
Well, I don't know if there is a difference between the windows and linux codebase, but my youtube-dl worked for 1080p, as it can merge the audio and video of each the highest quality. I just was not sure about 60fps. Maybe you need ffmpeg for that?
>>
>>51258304
How about digitalocean? They are cheap (as little as 5 bucks a month), run on ssd's, have restore snapshots (in case you fuck something up), and deploy in about 1 minute.
>>
>>51266343
>ffmpeg

Yeah I guess I have to merge that shit together by hand. It's just weird how Youtube manages 1080p stuff.
Everything below that was just a single downloadable file.
>>
>>51266203
1. You're a fucking idiot if you think they'll bust you for downloading off of Youtube
2. jDownloader
>>
Creating a system image backup on windows 7 way too late and c:/ is 600gb and won't just back up the necessary 32gb of Windows files, wat do?
>>
File: weed for pets.jpg (43 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
weed for pets.jpg
43 KB, 500x494
>>51266420
>jDownloader
>actually installing Java

I'm not that retarded
>>
>>51266169
pls responderino
>>
One of my coworkers plugged her iphone into the pc at work and trusted it. How can I go through the network and look at her pics?
>>
How do I stop sucking dicks and get something other than a Mac?
>>
>>51266482
Not DSL by a long shot
>>
>>51266749
Really now, I might have to consider Bell and their terrible fucking support
>>
My 3tb Seagate HDD died on me.
Decided to switch over to Western Digital.
HDD is only used for storage, will the Reds be a good choice? Or are they specifically used for NAS systems?
>>
Is there any way to automatically save album art in foobar if it doesn't exist for that album already?
I want it to save, not be fetched each time I click it.
Pic related, only automatic thing I can find.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6 KB, 451x130) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6 KB, 451x130
>>51266982
>pic related
>doesn't post picture
>>
Can I just shove a 970 on my current build with an i3 2120 and expect it to magically run games perfectly again?

Building a new rig is not an option.
>>
File: Untitled.png (196 KB, 501x308) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
196 KB, 501x308
Hey guys I have a really shitty old laptop and I'm wondering what browser I should be using. I just need whatever will take the least amount of processing power. Any suggestions?
>>
>>51265747
pls someone!
>>
>>51267056
lynx
>>
>>51267120
Hey thanks that'll work perfect.
>>
>>51267020
Define perfectly. Maybe it would be better to get 960 and some i5
>>
>Windows Update constantly hogging 50 % cpu time and 1,2 GB of RAM on old Centrino/Celeron laptops

for what purpose
>>
Looking for a recommendation of disk cloning software. Need to move to a larger ssd on a work computer.
>>
Website for good tablet recommendations? Don't need anything fancy, just something to watch videos on while I'm in bed. Can a kindle fire browse windows shares? How are cheap tablets at playing back media via plex?
>>
>>51265747
Run everything in sand box.
Or simply scan it with MWB
>>
My dad used to own a business that had a shitty PC on 24/7 and controlling his video cameras around the place and dumping the footage. I've inherited that PC, and there's a fuckton of .DAT files on it, which I'm assuming is the dumped footage. There's a whole partition called "DVR Data" full of them, in a folder called "EyeDAT". They're all 65MB though, so I'm not sure if they're actually video. There's a program called "Eyeviewer" installed that seems to handle it, but it's all government software and the install is since corrupt.

Basically, he's certain that the footage was dumped nightly and wants to view some of these .DAT files (which he thinks are the files but I'm not certain). There's no other folders that hold videos or anything. Any suggestions for opening these files?
>>
How to install programs in PlayOnLinux that aren't in the list?
>>
>>51263283
please advise
>>
>>51267266
I mean not having a massive bottleneck.

I don't want to get a new mobo + cpu, and if I get an older i5 I would have to resort to ebay.
>>
>>51267286
>Having windows updates on.
>>
The hard drive that I have my main OS (Windows 7) installed on has a large percentage of its space missing (500 + GBs) . I've tried practically everything to restore and re-access the missing space. Is there any way I can transfer my current Windows installation another hard disk without cloning the entire drive ? I don't want to clone the drive and transfer over potentially missing storage space.
>>
what is a decent virtual drive progam?
>>
currently got firefox portable,what are the essential applications to have on a memory stick,security and utility wise
>>
>>51268148
VMware Workstation 12 Player
>>
I need to compress a 27.5 GB file down to a size that will fit on a 16 GB flash drive. Is there software that can do that?
>>
My debian laptop keeps putting itself into hibernate when I close the lid and then it won't wake, forcing me to reboot.

What controls the lid sensor and how do I stop it going to sleep?
>>
>>51268672
winrar and compress into two parts
>>
File: 71402f.jpg (157 KB, 656x561) Image search: [Google]
71402f.jpg
157 KB, 656x561
What does it mean in virtualbox that keyboard is being captured?

I think I understood mouse
it means it wont leave the inside of the vm its being captured there like if it was its own monitor

but keyboard? and its always turning on/off whenever I use the host key - right ctrl
>>
my XFX PSU has coil whine every 30 seconds

this shit is supposed to be a tier 1 psu, how do i fix it
>>
what is the best frame limiting software? right now I use nvidia inspector
>>
I'm using a non-genuine version of Windows 7 (digital river ISO) and when I go to Windows Updates it just says it's checking for updates forever. How can I fix this?
>>
>>51269014
don't update
>>
>>51268747
vi /etc/systemd/logind.conf
#HandleLidSwitch=suspend > HandleLidSwitch=ignore

If you want changes to take effect without rebooting, you'll need to restart systemd-logind.service.
>>
>>51269025
won't that make me really vunerable?
>>
How do i remove yellow fraps fps counter from mpchc without turning it off. wanna leave it on for gaming but disable it on mpchc.
>>
>>51269032
Install Commonsense 2015 and you'll be fine.

>>51268952
Enable Vsync?

>>51269083
Install fraps, or use the built in fps counter in Steam.
>>
Why hasn't anyone come up with a better wireless sound protocol than A2DP over BT? Seems like it should be possible to make a new protocol just for sound streaming direct P2P over Wifi. Not everyone wants to use AptX because it's proprietary and you have to pay royalties.
>>
>>51268866
Is there anything that will work on linux?
>>
How fucked am I if I have been downloading music from sites like KAT/piratebay without using a vpn?
>>
>>51269279
Unless you live in a country that LITERALLY tracks everything you do; you're not fucked. The US and Britland really don't give a shit if you pirate stuff. So if you live there or any other country that isn't North Korea you're probably good.
>>
>>512692e25
gzip -c /path/to/file | split -b 150000000 - newfile.gz
>>51269279
depends where you're from
>>
good site to download .apks that are actually cracked?
I'm not going to pay $7 for a DS emulator to play a few stupid weeb games
>>
Is there any good and free backup software? Everything I try turns out to be shit.
>>
What the fuck is going on?
Java update schedule is running in the background and makes my GPU usage go up to 99%, I have to manually kill it everytime I start my PC

How do I fix this?
>>
>>51269345
>>51269323
I'm in the U.S.
thanks
I just keep getting mixed signals from everyone I ask
>>
File: 1388978173178.gif (452 KB, 217x170) Image search: [Google]
1388978173178.gif
452 KB, 217x170
I recently finished computer science course in college
I have a phone interview for the system verification test team at IBM tomorrow
I want to be a developer

would a 'tester' job look bad on my CV for developer jobs in the future? (it's my first real job out of college, would that make it look even worse?)
does the fact that it's IBM make it better?
>>
>>51269225
>gzip -c /path/to/file | split -b 150000000 - newfile.gz
>>
>>51269366
rsync
>>
Can a lot of broken shortcuts cause any issues with my OS? I'm on Win 7 64bit.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.