[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much does Apple respect your privacy? The NSA files showed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1439879386670.jpg (466 KB, 1167x831) Image search: [Google]
1439879386670.jpg
466 KB, 1167x831
How much does Apple respect your privacy? The NSA files showed they were the last to start giving them any information, but is that still their policy?
>>
>>
>>51250656
Yeah I know about their public stance but the question is what the reality of it is. Google says they respect your privacy and they're one of the worst companies if you want any level of privacy. Microsoft is doing their absolute best to be worse than google with their nonstop spying POS OS and forced updates.

It's literally gotten to the point that if you want some level of privacy you either install Loonix/BSD/GNU or OSX Of course you can't escape hardware backdoors but it's better than having hardware backdoors AND direct software pinging to some remote servers 24/7
>>
>>51250565
>How much does Apple respect your privacy?
Apple is holding off the prosecution lawyers in a drug case.
The accused has pleaded guilty but they still want to force Apple to crack the guy's old (de-cryptable) iPhone. Apple is refusing.
It's getting interesting.
>>
>>51250715
>Google says they respect your privacy
No they don't. Have you ever read their terms of service and privacy policy? That's part of public stance.
>>
>>51250773
So there's actually a good reason to switch to apple?!
>>
>>51250867
Unless you don't consider having a significantly improved computing experience a "good reason to switch to apple," there always has been.
>>
>>51250831
Hmm yeah you're right, not sure why I thought they had said it.

>>51250773
Yeah that's interesting but it seems like the government only wants to set up some sort of precedent rather than actually caring about unlocking the phone.

>>51250867
I don't know, I just can't believe that the average person has to do so much to get any level of personal privacy respected. If I want to write gay fanfiction about Sonic X Pikachu that should be my thing and not have microsoft fucking getting a 1:1 real time tailored document sent straight to them.

Apple, from all the released NSA files, seems to be the only major company that actually tries to oppose this massive spying but I want to know if that is still happening. Steve Jobs was a massive asshole but at least he had conviction and would stand by things he believed in such as Privacy. Tim Kek doesn't seem even 1/3rd as strong as him and I'm afraid that he's secretly allowing NSA constant access to his tech
>>
>>51250917
>but I want to know if that is still happening
As far as everyone can tell, it is. There are inherently no guarantees with this kind of thing though.
If you want to be sure corporations aren't giving your data to people who you don't want to have it, don't give those corporations control over your data in the first place.
>>
>>51250917
>from all the released NSA files
Those are all like 5+year old, right?

>Tim Kek
Wouldn't be surprised if he willingly gives the info without even being asked for it.
>>
>>51251043
Yeah I agree but it's pretty difficult. But I guess the fact companies made things so convenient is why it's in the state it is now anyway.
>>
What's the worst company for privacy?
>>
Don't ask, don't tell.
>>
>>51253162
?
>>
>>51250565
>>51250773
>>51250867
no company can refuse the gubmint access if they really, really want it, but yeah, apple has been a pain in the ass for them.

they've also had a policy for their mobile devices to ask permission for anything an app could do (access contacts, camera etc) from the beginning. they give a shit, but really it's probably futile
>>
>>51254555
i think "dont ask dont tell" was a US military policy regarding homosexuality. it meant while homos are officially not wanted in the military, they won't bother you about it if you keep it secret.

he's just making a macfag joke
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.