[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: sp3UApA.jpg (355 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
sp3UApA.jpg
355 KB, 1500x1500
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

Although it is recommended to install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes", it is better to try the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a full Linux experience.

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), use it exclusively for 2 weeks, avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R33sFFhgkWk

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, (although maybe wine can make up for it.)

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
/r/linux4noobs
/r/linuxquestions
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here, and no, Vivaldi is not recommended in the wiki.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

There is also scripts for new users from Windows that are heading straight to Debian.
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript
>>
Can someone walk me through installing lxqt on ubuntu?
I added the lubuntu daily ppa but I'm stuck because apt-get install lxqt didn't work.
>>
Any way to get window decorations for mpv under Wayland other than a third-party frontend?
>>
>>51224205
did you "apt-get update" after adding the ppa?
>>
>>51224205
nevermind I'm an idot
>>
>>51224230
Yes. Apparently it was lxqt-metapackage instead of lxqt
>>
I think Elementary OS should be included as 'recommended for beginners'. It's quiet intuitive.
>>
Why does the hard link not get broken after deleting the original file?
>>
>>51223341
>openSUSE
>for beginners

I remember when I first tried opensuse, couldn't even find my way around yast. Good times, a whole new world was unfolding before me.
>>
>tfw antergos install fucked up
>tfw don't feel like installing Arch from scratch again but don't want to say goodbye to the AUR

What do
>>
>>51224323
The hard link -becomes- the file, effectively.
>>
I'm having trouble getting a manual setup going in ubuntu with a /boot partition and everything else inside an LVM container encrypted with luks.
>>
>>51224343
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51224350
So basically, I am wasting disk space by using hard links instead of soft links?
>>
>>51224392
No :^)
With hard links, a file can literally exist in multiple places in the file system. `stat` the file and it will show you
Links: 2
or whatever, indicating the count of places it shows up. When you rm it, the file is unlinked. Files are deleted when the last link is removed. No space is wasted.
>>
I got openSUSE. GNOME3 is super heavy for my laptop. XFCE is a little confusing. KDE install fails.

Should I settle for XFCE or try to install Cinnamon or something?
>>
>>51224476
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51224790
i fucking love xfce
>>
>>51224328
What are you using now?
>>
>>51224343
Manjaro netinstall
>>
>>51224343
http://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
>>
>>51224343

Don't listen to >>51225034
Manjaro is shit, use >>51225140
>>
>>51225150
>Manjaro is shit,
And Architect installer is a good idea?
>>
>>51225159
I've never had problems with Architect that weren't self-inflicted via not reading, so I'd vouch for it.
>>
>>51225159
If you want to use Arch and can't be bothered with the usual Arch install process, yes.
>>
>>51225159
Well, because it has no Manjaro bloat and it has no unnecessary modificaions, it is literally an install script for Arch.
>>
>>51225168
>weren't self-inflicted via not reading
Pro level damage control skills you got there
>>51225176
Antergos or Architect may inspire a user to be lazy and when something breaks, there's a big chance OP won't have a clue how to fix it (TL;DR: Shortcut is not a good solution).
>>51225176
I'd suggest Netinstall to get rid of Manjaro bloat. Manjaro and Arch are not technically the same. The Arch user forums has seen a lot of shitstorms because of this.

BUT, OP wants something that just works, so I'd still suggest Manjaro.
>>
>>51225214
Not OP, I mean >>51224343
>>
>>51223341

>an operating system so shit that they need a general to figure just what the fuck is going on when they try to do something simple like open a file
>>
>>51225227
leave.now.
>>
>>51223341
you forgot about xfce in your pic OP
>>
Is anyone familiar with the Asus Transformer Book t100 and/or know how to run any Linux distro on it?
>>
File: pekwm.png (627 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pekwm.png
627 KB, 1920x1080
>>51225245
He also forgot about Pekwm.
How he could forget this gem I have no idea.
>>
>>51225254
doesn't it use an ARM processor
>>
>>51225254
First results on google.
https://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2014/08/23/installing-linux-on-the-asus-transformer-book-t100/
http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100-alternate-os-s-development/
>>
>>51225263
>kekwm
Nice trails
>>
>>51225264
Intel Atom
>>
Which idiot made that picture in OP?

t. xfce
>>
File: chucknorris2.jpg (48 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
chucknorris2.jpg
48 KB, 600x374
>>51225272
Thanks.
I'm glad someone still appreciates trails.
>>
>>51225214
>Pro level damage control skills you got there
Keep memeing, son. I mounted my partitions in the wrong order and couldn't figure out why I had no mount point for the install.

It's hard to install a full operating system into the kilobytes where I was supposed to put the bootloader.
>>
>>51225214
Manjaro is a bloat in itself.
>>
>>51225263
looks like windows ;^)
>>
>>51225369
its ubuntu if you didn't actually know
>>
>>51225334
Define bloat; I suggested the manjaro net-install to prevent bloats.
Atleast it has no
>no candy crush ads
>no amazon
Thereupon it gives you the choice to
>install your own WM
>or install your DE of choice from the cli
>>
>>51225214
Why Manjaro? You can just use Architect and it behaves exactly like Arch, it doesn't hold packages for stability bullshit like Manjaro.
>>
>>51225454
I have a different opinion on Architect. While people may think it is more of a beginner friendly solution to install Arch, I'd say it's for experienced Arch users who just want to load Arch on their systems.
Architect is not bad, it's let's you install Arch without getting your hands dirty. The new comers may miss some things and it may harm their problem-solving capabilities.
On the other hand, Manjaro is not Arch. It is a bit late to update the packages but it allows a newcomer to feels a bit safer. Manjaro tempts a user to use bleeding edge packages and I think it is a good start if you want to truly learn and experience Arch
>>
>>51225499
>It is a bit late to update the packages but it allows a newcomer to feels a bit safer.
..while a lot packages in Manjaro breaks more frequently than Arch. What a joke.
>>
>>51225623
I've used Manjaro for over a year and only had one package break.
>>
>>51225623
>devs constantly ask the users to be careful with the AUR
>use AUR anyway
>compatibility issues
>packages break
>claim Manjaro breaks more than Arch
>(you)
>>
>these shits recommendin manjaro
https://archive.is/JeOLo
>>
I'm trying to set up Apache2 in a Debian server.
What I'm trying to do is have a specific user in control of their own website. So in my /srv/www, I have
www.website1.com #owned by website01 - group www-data
www.website2.com #owned by website02 - group www-data

The thing is, it's giving me a permission error whenever I try to connect to it. How do I set up the permissions correctly? Everything has either 770 (for folders) or 640 (for files). I even attempted to chgrp it to root. But still nothing
>>
>>51225746
This meme is getting real old, find newer ones. Make sure you back up this in your external hard drive before you loose it completely
>>
>>51225795
set it to 774 and 644
>>
>>51225746
>>51225812
Or print it out and hang it up on your living room on a big frame.
>>
>>51225813
I was actually wondering if I can do it without getting every other user involved. I want to know if there was a way to have each user forced into their own directory.
>>
>>51225795
http://askubuntu.com/questions/267019/how-can-i-prevent-users-accessing-anything-but-their-own-home-directory
>>
File: dmesg.png (127 KB, 1040x624) Image search: [Google]
dmesg.png
127 KB, 1040x624
Does anyone have any idea what this is all about?
I would check my logs, but yeah...
Never had these kind of problems before systemd and journald.
>>
>>51225893
That's not really what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to get website01 not be able to read what's inside of website02. So I can't use 644/774

>>51225954
We told you what would happen. And you didn't listen. Enjoy your botnet

But seriously. Did you do anything different in the past day or two? Change any configs or anything?
>>
>>51223341
Where is Cinnamon in this?

I hope it's like a comfy rural village.
>>
File: abandoned-car_1280x800_29112.jpg (333 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
abandoned-car_1280x800_29112.jpg
333 KB, 1280x800
>>51225975
>>
File: status.png (32 KB, 1009x174) Image search: [Google]
status.png
32 KB, 1009x174
>>51225971
>But seriously. Did you do anything different in the past day or two? Change any configs or anything?
Nope. This has been going on for about a month though. It's not critical as it's only a non-productive VM, but I'd like to understand what went wrong in case this happens on systems I actually use.
The setup is pretty bare bones. Just Arch with xfce. No displaymanager or obscure services.
systemctl status tells me that the vendor preset is "disabled"... Why would anyone disable logging? I certainly did not.
Or maybe I should now that it's broken anyway?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (152 KB, 1280x1003) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
152 KB, 1280x1003
Just a warning. Don't have Win XP plugged in on PATA when using Debian on SATA.
>>
>>51223341
Interested in starting to use linux. I wana move away from Windows10 if I can.

What are th best distro/DE combos? I like the look of unity and KDE, but I'm not really informed enough to make a decision about anything else.
>>
>>51226524
Xfce + ubuntu
AKA xubuntu.
Don't listen to any mint fags. It's shit
>>
>>51226524
Any distro and any DE can be used together. Beginner type distros are probably what you want, so *buntu, Debian, Mint would be a good place to start. Ubuntu comes with Unity default, Xubuntu comes with XFCE default (very lightweight). Lubuntu comes with LXDE, Kubuntu comes with KDE. I believe KDE is pretty resource heavy, but don't quote me on that. If you install one but want to try others, installing and setting them up is near trivial. In Ubuntu, for instance, after you've installed multiple DEs you can choose between them before you log in.
>>
>>51226524
debian stable+xfce
>>
>>51226541
>I like the look of unity and KDE,
>suggest Xfce anyway
>>
>>51226524
Ubuntu GNOME. Make sure you install gnome-tweak-tool after that and look for extensions.
>>
What happened to Code Blocks for Debian?
I searched apt but turned up no results.
Apparently I have to put in the backports to get it.

But my question is, why is it not in Jessie?
>>
>>51225214
>Antergos or Architect may inspire a user to be lazy and when something breaks, there's a big chance OP won't have a clue how to fix it (TL;DR: Shortcut is not a good solution).
Memes.Please,stop perpetuating this crap.People who install the hard way are referencing the same wikis to troubleshoot their issues.In the end you've spent more time to potentially have MORE problems than if you just used the installer.Noobs would be better suited to spending their time learning the troubleshooting procedures than pulling their hair out trying to follow some purposely painful installation guide.
>>
>>51226657
it is available. I just checked right now.
Maybe it's because I added the contrib to my source.list ?

>>51226524
>What are th best distro/DE combos?
this question doesn't have an answer. It's a question of taste.
Set up a VM with debian, install all the DE during the install process and try them. Once you made a choice, install a distribution that comes with it by default.
>>
Any good resources for the LPIC? I've been using AIO King, but I feel it's not enough.
>>
>>51226752
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=codeblocks

It's not. It's only in oldstable, jessie-backports, stretch and sid.
You have one of those enabled.

I want to keep my apt sources.list as neat as possible, so I guess I have to download it from backports then remove backports.
>>
Is there anything like the AUR out there in the gnu/linux world. I mean besides building it from source
>>
>>51226825
AUR is Arch-exclusive.
>>
>>51224218
Why the fuck would you want window decorations?
>>
I want to buy a laptop with an AMD A8 CPU and raedeon card, however I'm not sure about the compatibility with linux (debian and arch specifically). I'm not too bothered about open vs closed source, but I want to know if there's any major problems with it
>>
>>51226832
>Arch User Repository
Im not that dumb, i can read. I meant a place where you can find the source code of almost anything you want to build and have an automated tool do the compiling
>>
>>51226825
Ports, SRPMs and OBS
>>
>>51226850
Thanks, that was exactly what i meant. I was thinking about getting a more stable distro alongside windows and arch but i thought i was going to miss the aur. Which has more stability, fedora or freebsd?
>>
What do i do with architect?? I have it on a usb and i can get through the boot menu. Then I get kicked to interactive promt cause "the usb doesn't show up after 30 seconds"? Do i need to burn this to a dvd?
>>
>>51226910
Did you make the usb bootable. Also i dont think arch is your thing. Try it in a vm first
>>
File: 1431057122275.gif (2 MB, 335x237) Image search: [Google]
1431057122275.gif
2 MB, 335x237
>>51223341
´sup fa/g/gots
i´ve been running arch for a few weeks but i really miss being about to do winkey+r, type an smb path, and then have it open up in explorer.
i already have my regularly used smb mounts in my fstab but i often need to browse to smb shares ad-hoc.
also if anyone is aware of any keyboard layout fixes for arch on a chromebook that allow you to use single-quotes in all applications, i´m all ears. currently using xkeyboard-config-chromebook from aur but it´s a bit fucked in chromium (hence the backticks)
>>
>>51223341
>no mate
>>
>>51226941

i used rufus.
>>
>>51226842
Does AMD work okay with linux for everday use is what I'm asking
>>
>>51226897
Fedora's equivalent to AUR are the COPR buildsystem.
The big difference is that AUR provides you with a pkgbuild that you download and compile on your machine and Fedora COPR take the src.rpm, compile it into binary form (.rpm) and create a user-maintaned repository.
>>
Can i stripe an odd pair of disks with lvm?
>>
>>51226989
ye
>>
>>51226708
I agree. I know I started with Manjaro and moved to Arch from there. I feel that was a smooth start and worked well.
>>
>>51226941
Follow this. --MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR FILES ON TO ANY EXTERNAL SOURCE--
because you are going to break your system for sure.
http://jadelinux.com/tutorials/installarcheasy.html
>>
>>51227109

i skimmed through that, but I already started vanilla install
>>
Why doesn't Arch have a official installer?
>>
>>51227152
lol
>>
>>51227152
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ
>>
installing base packages to /mnt on my laptop and it feels good. though can't help but wonder how far along id be if I used architect . never actually got too far past first reboot with arch.
>>
Is it possible to rice opensuse?
Or is there a certain place I can find themes/windows for it?
>>
>>51227534
why wouldn't it be possible to rice opensuse?
ricing is not distro dependent
>>
>>51225643
the last time i had to manually intervene with an arch package upgrade was in 2012

so that's still more frequent
>>
>>51227152
it used to, but it went into disrepair and was removed because nobody used it
>>
Reposting my question here if you guys can help:

>>51227699

I already tried changing the "lockDialogGroup" in the gnome-shell/theme, no change at all.

>>51226524
Started with Xubuntu, used it for a moment before switching to Mint, which is meh, used it for a week before installing Ubuntu Gnome.

It just werks, and it's good for a start in my opinion, Xubuntu is also a very good first distro.
>>
>>51227152
if you feel arch needs a click-through installer, then you've missed the point
>>
>>51227152
I prefer to install arch according their wiki that installing ubuntu, debian or fedora.
I find it easier, faster, and I actually know what the fuck I'm doing. Sometimes according the installer of other distributions, I got a weird feeling on how to choose the partition etc.
Also, if I have to use partitions on different systems I find it easier too.
But maybe it's just me.
>>
>>51228396
>I find it easier, faster,
>than installing fedora
nice bait lad, here's the attention you whored for
>>
>>51228415
last time I tried to install fedora dual-booting windows 7 I had to battle with the partitioning tool to have it as I wanted. I got another friend that was in the same case, so I assumed it wasn't just me.
Actually fedora was the worse. Debian is fine, ubuntu is mkay
>>
>>51228167
eh what? everyone used it

Arch's devs nowadays are just as lazy as fuck.
They can't even bother to give you documentation (unlike gentoo's great manual) for the manual installation and just dump an incomplete wiki page on the disc.
>>
File: de8.jpg (19 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
de8.jpg
19 KB, 400x320
>>51228460
>Gentoo
>Great manual
>>
>>51228460
i didn't use it even when it was there

if enough arch users want it they can make one and submit it

but really, if a lack of an installer is stopping you from using arch, then it's not for you, it should take no more than 15 minutes to install arch if you're familiar with linux and can read (arch is aimed at people already familiar with linux)
>>
>>51228519
it was just one of the many changes after Judd left that made me move away from Arch
>>
>>51223341

seems about right

>kde: clean, industrial, what you'd expect
>gnome: clean, but way out in the sticks and is doing things its own way
>unity: gets the job done
>openbox: basic lifeblood of society
>lxqt: comfy but with some compromise
>>
>>51228565
that's fine, all i'm saying is that arch doesn't try to make itself more 'available', it implements what the majority of devs want to implement

from "the arch way";
>"Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly, Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric. The distribution is intended to fill the needs of those contributing to it rather than trying to appeal to as many users as possible."
>>
>>51228439
>I had to battle with the partitioning tool to have it as I wanted.

fedora's partitioning tool is as good as ubuntus or any other distro when you know what you're doing

the only situation where it could be considered worse is if you're doing automatic partitioning, but the general consensus is that automatic partitioning should be avoided, and speaking anecdotally the only time I've had a partitioning fuckup was when I let ubuntu's installer do its thing without verifying it before installing
>>
Anyone here using kde? Qt apps can use subpixel rendering but gtk apps won't. I've tried literally anything without result
>>
>>51228596
That's hardly a justification to have a user walk through unnecessary work.

The dialog installer was really simple and quick, allowed you to do every step manually if you needed more flexibility, without needing any extra docs (which also are (were?) pretty crappy) handy just for a simple install.

It's not even a good noob filter, just look at how much more retards are in arch's user base today.
>>
i've been trying to adjust the mouse wheel sensitivity in mint.

Been tweaking settings of from xinput id but not sure how to find and edit the sensitivity of the mouse wheel
>>
Is there a distro, aside from Arch or Gentoo, that has kernel 4.3 and relatively stable rolling releases?
>>
File: opensuse-logo.png (35 KB, 744x479) Image search: [Google]
opensuse-logo.png
35 KB, 744x479
Has fellow anon installed openSUSE Leap 42.1?
What's your opinion? Clear install or upgrade?
>>
>>51228678
either way it's a bit of a non-issue now, since there exists several arch-based systems with installers (architect linux, antergos...)
>>
>>51228741
don't all of those use some pre-configured setup?
disgusting
>>
>>51228754
i believe architect at least can install just the arch base alone
>>
So I installed debian jessie today and i've got problem with internet connection. By using ping command I am receiving results as it is connected to the Internet. But the apt can't connect so I stoped on a text system. However I tried set ip etc. manually but it's still the same.
>>
>>51228724
>relatively stable
>rolling
>4.3
pick one
>>
>>51228765
Does your browser resolve domain names?
>>
>>51224343
Use Architect Linux installer. It's simple and fast with a GUI.
>>
>>51228763
Architect is literally Arch's installer.
>>
>>51228813
I don't even have display manager because of this so If there is a terminal web browser included to the cd.iso I can check this.
>>
>>51228765
Check your apt souces list
>>
>>51228862
>>51228813
"Display manager" - mistake, I though about desktop environment
>>
After some initial research I'm still gonna need some marketing from you. I've been using Windows 7 for years on my 4 y.o. laptop (Asus K50AB). I had some basic user experience with Red Hat at my work and I want to switch to linux on my personal comupter. I'm thinking fedora or ubuntu. I'm using my computer for internet, music and playing .mkv.
>>
OK, Im setting up a Cent-OS server on VMware.

What do i do with it.

Just installed.
>>
>>51228862
Try w3m, links or lynx. Or try to ping somesite.com instead of ip. And this
>>51228875
>>
>>51228907
blahblah.com gives me ~30ms
I will change mirror server for sources.list and soon I will submit results here
>>
Anyone here using Neovim?

Did they change the usual .nvimrc path?

I'm trying a basic 'syntax enable' in .nvimrc in the home dir and it's not working, it looks like they changed it but not sure what the new path is.
>>
>>51228996
Use vim, they still use the same .vimrc path.
>>
>>51229003
It's not enabling syntax highlighting (vim syntax highlighting works fine), the paths have definitely changed, just don't know how
>>
File: 1446682609519.png (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446682609519.png
106 KB, 1280x720
I'm having serious problems in Arch with some asian-encoded filenames.

At first I thought it was an application problem, so I set the locales again. No dice.

Then I noticed I couldn't access them when connected via NFS. So I tried to use convmv to convert from shiftJIS (a guess) to UTF-8. Convmv said everything was UTF-8.

I'm confused and frustrated. please help.
>>
>>51223341
i just installed debian 8 in a drive that has win8 and winxp, i specified that i didnt want grub to load in the mbr but in the partition
i tried to use easybcd to add a entry for debian, it finds the partition, it detects linux, but it doesn't boot it
any help?
>>
Xubuntu vs elementary OS

Which one and why
>>
>>51229112
elementary is shit
>>
>>51229093
try a different bootloader. I've never had grub work when installed to a partition.
>>
>>51229112
Xub because it has less 'surprises' and better support

>>51229093
are you the faggot from yesterday
>>
>>51223341
>that pic
But where are the only two worthwhile DEs, trinity and mate?
>>
>>51229132
>are you the faggot from yesterday
no m8, new faggot ;)
>>
>>51229158
mate is total garbage, i used gnome 2 on ubangoes back in the day, mate's a buggy and shoddy imitation

xfce is the only one worth bothering with, lxqt is also too shitty atm
>>
>>51229126
any suggestions?
>>
>>51229086
Stop using some obscure Japanese character and use the world-accepted Latin characters.
>>
>>51229192
>imitation
It's literally the same thing. It's also not that buggy. It does have a few bugs but nothing serious and most only need to be circumvented once right after install.

xfce is a buggy piece of shit, though, and it's also very resource intensive for what it offers. Its featurelessness is a reason in and of itself not to use it, really. It only has a few programs, and they're shoddy. I haven't tried lxqt though I hear it's unstable as shit. lxde, though, was very good on extra-small devices when I used it.
>>
>>51229213
They're files I downloaded. It's also affecting umlaut and stuff.

People like you are a reason people don't like linux, by the way. When there's a problem you resort to denial and sour graping.

Anyway, I'm trying a permissions change from 0770 to 0771.
>>
I'm gonna be buying a laptop and want to have a Linux distro on it. I'm a sucker for eye-candy too.

Is Kubuntu the best choice for me then? Is Mint with KDE better?
>>
>>51229352
What a nonsense.
>>
>>51229377
no dice...
>>
>>51229393
Gentoo + trinity.
>>
differences between debian unstable and arch linux?
>>
Is there a way to turn an already made live USB into a persistence USB. Shit internet and want to find the lazy way of adding it without redownloading a new iso.
>>
>>51229086
You could explain what the actual problem is. All you've said is you're having "serious problems" and that as a side note you can't access them when connected via NFS.
>>
>>51229408
not sure, the only time i've had trouble with japanese filenames (and text in general) is when i didn't have a japanese font installed (fyi, i use ttf-hanazono)
>>
>>51229192
how about the new d.e. budgie?
>>
>>51229424
Arch is actually stable AND up to date whereas debian is neither.
>>
>>51229464
It's just a skin for gnome 3. Might want to take a look at hawaii, though.
>>
>>51229424
debian unstable is more than just new bleeding edge packages, it is literally a testing ground for packages and packaging. If it breaks then you should know how to fix it or be in a position to not care that it's broken, that's what it's there for. Arch, on the other hand, provides support and is not a testing ground for anything.
>>
>>51224291
its just buntu so ehh
>>
>>51229424
debian unstable is user-friendly
arch linux is not user-friendly at all but will teach you more about linux
>>
>>51229393
elementaryOS is eyecandy out of the box
mint with cinnamon can be pretty easily customized to look nice, although ricing GTK can be risky
mint with KDE and kubuntu really aren't that different. i always find it difficult to make KDE look nice and the UI is full of inconsistencies. however it is extremely customisable.
>>
>>51229505
s/friendly/unfriendly/g
>>
Whats a good partition scheme if I plan on distro hopping and need to keep a win7 on dual boot?
Do I need /boot for grub?
Currently my HDD has a 650gb win7 partition and 280gb of unallocated space.
I was thinking along these lines:
>4gb swap
>90gb /
>remaining space for /home
>>
How to use RDP (windows) on linux?
>>
>>51229112
xubuntu. eOS looks nice but the usability is poor and the packages are often woefully outdated. also the devs are jerks.
however i would actually recomend Lubuntu over Xubuntu, i feel like xfce development is pretty stagnant and lxde is a bit lighter.
>>
>>51228888
if you want a web server, you can get set up really really easy using virtualmin
i don't know why you'd want a server in a VM on your home computer though.
other good options: proxy server, file server or owncloud
>>
File: font.png (47 KB, 918x411) Image search: [Google]
font.png
47 KB, 918x411
I've installed the infinality bundle and things look nice, but is there any recommended settings that I should change within it? I kind of want it to be more darker to improve readability.
>>
>>51229430
Sure, I have a media server that won't read them. It just displays a question mark inside a diamond for the asian characters, and won't play the file when clicked. I thought it was specific to this application, then I noticed the NFS issue.

>>51229455
I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>51226961
in my experience, no. the performance is poor and the drivers are buggy and crash sometimes.
AMD are trying very hard to support linux properly but failing
nvidia are doing the opposite, they're being jerks but they do put out good proprietary drivers at the end of the day
intel is a step above both.

AMD may improve but it's really hard to say right now
>>
>>51224790
cinnamon is actually really lightweight, it's lighter than gnome3, kde with plasma 5 and unity. it's a little heavier than xfce but not much.
>>
>>51229565
>AMD are trying very hard to support linux properly but failing
If they tried very hard to support linux they would do exactly what intel did which is
>write drivers for linux architecture instead of trying to shoehorn as much common code from windows drivers
>release the source code so the already considerable community of people trying to reverse engineer them have something to work on and as a result improve the performance and maintain it.
>>
I'd like to try Arch Linux, but FOSS is important to me. I understand Arch's package manager does not discriminate. Is there are some way to make sure that it does ? I would rather not have to run vrms every time I install a package.
>>
>>51229529
rdesktop
or if you're looking to remote into another linux machine, ssh (with ssh -Y for a graphical session)
>>
>>51229540
$ cd /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
$ gksu gedit infinality-settings.sh
>>
>>51229601
parabola linux is literally arch with an fsf-approved-only software policy (it's even recommended on gnu.org)
>>
>>51224790
have you tried MATE
>>
>>51229492
are stability and security synonymous here?
>>
>>51229633
Cool thanks. I'll check that out.
>>
File: infinality.png (79 KB, 1599x524) Image search: [Google]
infinality.png
79 KB, 1599x524
>>51229624
>>
>>51229559
>>51229455
nope. I'm really baffled here.
>>
>>51229649
Difficult to answer. "stable" (old) software is usually looked over more and hole have been patched but that's not to say there are not security issues which have been addressed in newer versions. The problem is that newer versions will be less tested and possibly less stable (fixes and new features can have a whole new level of bugs and holes) which in itself can been the program is less secure. Even if a new version addresses a security issue from an older version there's nothing say that the new fixes don't introduce other unforeseen security issues.

The trouble with debian unstable is that it has no intentions to be stable or secure, it is there to test things which will eventually make it in to stable.
>>
>>51229649
Debian is only stable in the sense that packages don't change, including their bugs not being patched.
>>
I get really bad screen tearing on my T410, and it makes watching movies on my TV via display to HDMI unbearable because of how frequently it tears. Do any of you have any ideas how to eliminate the tearing? This happens in every distro that I have tried. I'm currently running Arch if that helps at all.
>>
>>51229919
Debian does backport important patches.
Now, what's important and what's not is in the eye of the maintainer.
>>
>>51229935
compton
>>
>>51229935
gnome + wayland, or sway.

>>51229767
I think it might be a stupid permissions error. Trying it.
>>
File: fixed.jpg (451 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
451 KB, 1500x1500
>>51223341
Fixed picture for you OP
>>
>>51230172
Enlightenment is more like a trashcan adorned with ribbons.
>>
This might belong in the sqt, but ever since I installed Mint my CMOS LED is always on whenever I shut my computer down, and actually clearing it doesn't change anything

Does anyone know why this is happening?
>>
So I installed Mint recently.

I'm looking through the Package Manager and there's things that I know are on Linux, but aren't on there. Should I try to download and install them manually or are there standard PPAs I should be adding that I haven't?
>>
>>51230845
what are you looking for exactly?
>>
>>51230845
Don't try to install anything manually, you'll make a mess of your system with will probably break at some point. Use PPAs or extra repository sources, if there are any.
>>
I wanted to try some old distros with CDE or KDE 1 because the UI is so retro it hurts.

i tried xubuntu and it was ok for the most part but i stayed with windows because of muh games.
>>
>>51229935
Are you using mpv for playback? There shouldn't be any tearing with that fullscreen regardless of you using compositing or not.
>>
I messed up both GRUB and openSUSE itself; now all I get is the terminal and the message "Failed to write pack file." and even that only works if I boot with my installation USB drive. Any tips on how to even find the reason for the problem?
>>
>>51231027
Cool, thanks for sharing your story
>>
>>51226997
So how do i do this with 3 disks?
>>
>>51231173
the same way
>>
>>51230860
So, for example, one thing I'm looking to do is emulate snes. I know snes9x is available for Linux, but it's not in Mint's package manager.

Its stuff like that...
>>
>>51231308
Well, Mint is basically ubuntu, and if there's a piece of software on linux there's high probability there's an ubuntu's ppa with it.
simply google

http://mintguide.org/games/simulators/345-snes9x-emulator-of-the-super-nintendo.html
as an example
>>
Why doesn't KDE let you use the Windows key to open the start menu? It only lets you use it as a modifier, not the button alone
>>
>>51231418
you can change it
>>
>>51231427
How? Right clicking the button to change the hotkey doesn't let you use the Windows button, you have to use Win+Something else
>>
>>51231458
use win+space then
>>
>>51223341
as someone who recently switched to gnome, i wonder, why the fuck arent computers sold with linux pre installed instead of plebdows
>>
>>51231628
install photoshop

go ahead I'll wait
>>
>>51231638
99% of the world doesn't care about photoshop.
>>
>>51231638
fuck off gates

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks
>>
>>51231628
major hardware companies dealing with workstations (dell, hp) offer a mix between rhel/sles/opensuse/fedora.

dell sells prebuilts/laptops with ubuntu lts, but you won't find them

And there was an attempt made by dell to ship those to your-average-consumer-electronic-stores too,
But then normies happened and there was truckloads of complains like "WHY MUH WINDOWS CD DUN WORK???".
The reason was that people were actually buying the ubuntu version because it was windows-oem-license-price cheaper only to find out ubuntu is not actually windows.
So they stopped.
>>
>>51231418
Use ksuperkey
>>
>>51231703
I feel raped by gates, if i had bought my first computer with linux on it 7 years ago, i'd be mastering it.. :(
>>
>>51223341
Let's settle this like me, for once and for all.

Gnome or KDE?
>>
GNOME is great
>>
>>51231825
Trinity.
>>
>>51224884
Xfce master race checking in.
>>
>>51231806
gates isn't a bad person, as a whole.
he made few bad choices when during his reign in microsoft that's all.
Ballmer was much worse.

hell, bill/melinda gates's foundation on it's website features a photo of some porch monkeys using ubuntu
despite the major effort of Microsoft to market it's products as something "poor africans that can't fucking afford 3 meals a day" need to improve their living.
>>
>>51231963
>implying Bill hasn't destroyed thousands of local economies with his charity and trapped poor people in a cycle of dependency
>>
>>51228727
Yes.
Clear install and no issues with it so far, though, i've only been using it for like 5-6 hours.

Seems stable, KDE Is up-to-date, just waiting to see if fglrx drivers will bring improvements
>>
what's the best method to install kde on ubuntu without installing kubuntu?
>>
>>51232054
apt-get install kde-desktop
>>
>>51232072
I didn't expect it to be that simple :/

thanks man
>>
>>51231963
this

gates was okay, nigga could jump over a motherfucking chair like no one else
>>
what feels better than doing a fresh debian netinst on a new, self-built computer with nothing but free drivers while listening to hans zimmer on the speakers you built yourself?
>>
>>51232123
sex
>>
>>51232123
taking a massive dump on your own toilet after a very long day in which you couldn't find a few minutes to relax
>>
>>51232123
>hans zimmer
Listening to a real composer and not some filmscore hack.
>>
How do I edit the autostart scripts?
I'm doing this:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disabling_the_system_bell
>>
>>51232167
not him but zimemer makes okay music.
hes not outstanding but i can't recall any piece that is outright bad from him
>>
>>51232167
karl jenkins is queued up next, it that better? i got slow internet so i still got a few packages to download.
>>
>>51232123
>self-built computer with nothing but free drivers
square up and share the specs, i was interested in making the same thing myself
>>
>>51232207
I guess it's not egregiously bad, but he makes all of those dull filmscores I hate.

>>51232228
>karl jenkins
I'm not familiar with this guy's music, but it's probably more interesting than Zimmer imo.
>>
>>51232123
Testing an extended HM-typed llvm-targeting self-built compiler and being amazed at how well it handles complex expressions.
>>
why dont linux users like vanilla ubuntu? i happened to like unity myself, i never say anything wrong with it.
>>
I got an old netbook lying around (1.6 Ghz Atom, 1GB RAM), decided I should try to put a distro on it. Debian or something of the kind should work fine enough, right?
>>
>>51232340
unity is horrible and canonical are an untrustworthy corporation.
>>
>>51232353
yep, with xfce/lxde for sure.
just check if your wlan card will work with it.
>>
>>51232252
it's a meme machine/room heater with a r9 390, an fx 8350 and a msi970 gaming.
+value ram, wd blue hdds, a scythe mugen4 and a 650w xfx pro core PSU in an enthoo pro case.
will probably buy an SSD soon.
i got the fx 8350 cheap, would recommend an i5 4460 otherwise.
>>
>>51232397
r9 390 with free drivers?
>>
>>51232415
yeah, proprietary nvidia drivers>free amd drivers>proprietary amd drivers>free nvidia drivers
free amd drivers are evolving fast atm.
>>
>>51232340
Bloated
Unity is shit
Apt is shit
Amazon spyware
Etc.
>>
So /g/, arch or gentoo?
i used arch for a bit, and im not sure if gentoo is a literal meme
>>
File: Everybody's stupid.png (150 KB, 359x414) Image search: [Google]
Everybody's stupid.png
150 KB, 359x414
Why doesn't everyone unite to make the distro that fits everyone's needs?
>>
The irony is that TWM's are more functional and useful than all the others but DEfags are delusional and think only glossy style and pretty effects matter.

i3+i3status+dmenu shits all over KDE, Gnome, Xfce and all the rest.
>>
>>51232445
because needs vary from person to person
>>
>>51232445
People have different needs.
>>
>>51232445
because everyone has different tastes and preferences. upstream is the same anyway so everyone is basically working on the same thing.
>>
>>51232442
i honestly dont think apt is that bad, uity looks nice but id prefer an easy way to change colors. and the amazon thing, cant you disable/uninstall it like usual?
>>
>>51232448
You only use i3 so you can tell people you don't use a DE. You probably install third party shit that does everything a DE does anyway and then jerk yourself off to your keybindings and the config file you grabbed off some desktop thread.
>>
>>51232448
A tiling WM on my 14" 900p laptop isn't practical at all. They are better suited on large high res screens.
>>
File: 1446900857130.jpg (85 KB, 762x505) Image search: [Google]
1446900857130.jpg
85 KB, 762x505
>>51232489
apt IS bad
>>
>>51232503
>A tiling WM on my 14" 900p laptop isn't practical at all.
Why? Werks fine for me
>>
I'm running UbuntuMate 15.4. I want to be able to play CS:GO but it feels really laggy, do I need to download some graphics drivers? I got a GTX 760
>>
>>51232518
Install nvidia's proprietary drivers and you should be fine.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.