[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: yeeeeeeee.jpg (82 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
yeeeeeeee.jpg
82 KB, 600x900
Previously on: >>54177225

Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
http://fglt.nl/

Resources:
man <insert command here>
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
>>
>>54199517
Hi, didnt see a flt/fglt so I'm just gonna ask here

I've got a really strange problem with my Ubuntu installation:
Whenever I boot, I have my normal desktop icons (1 shell script link, which works fine) and 3 icons for my home folder, my file system and something else and the standard xfce wallpaper

However, once I get into my File System (doesnt matter how), my desktop changes to another one, the home folder and file system icons disappear and my shellscript link doesnt work properly anymore, it just opens in gedit.
And whenever I use Chrome it asks me to reopen my tabs as if it crashed or something

I had some problems with my DE that I probably didnt fix correctly, but I dont know how I should go on about this other than a fresh install (which cant do right now)
>>
Any kubuntu gurus out there?

Was trying out kubuntu instead of gnome/ubuntu just to see what it was like.

Kubuntu does not seem to play nice with UEFI out of the box. I havent even installed yet the live cd is crapping out.

Drops me at a commend line asking for a user name. User:kubuntu password: works but then I just have some command line and it hasnt installed anything.

Any tips for this? The Gnome release just plays nice out of the box.
>>
>>54199869
it sounds like a problem with permissions. Shell script isn't executable, wallpaper can't be set, chrome can't open previous tabs.. what did you do to your system previously?
>>
>>54199914
Moved my home folder

Its my first time with linux so not sure what else
>>
>>54199949
>Moved my home folder
Why did you do that? Are you crazy?
>>
>>54199964
Was running out of space and did everything by the Ubuntu-Wiki
>>
File: 1438210930711.jpg (129 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1438210930711.jpg
129 KB, 500x367
>>54199517
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as /flt/, is in fact, /fglt/.
>>
>>54200006
Ubuntu-wiki
My gosh. Use arch next time and don't move your home folder. NEVER.
>>
if I upgrade to ubuntu 16.04 will it fix my screen tearing? compton does jack shit for it
>>
>>54199949
>>54200006
Set your /etc/fstab correctly to point to your new /home location

>>54200040
The Ubuntu wiki is fine, and he is using Ubuntu.
>>
>>54200049
>The Ubuntu wiki is fine, and he is using Ubuntu.
Even for ubuntu Arch wiki is better.
>>
>>54200019
Historically it is /flt/ though, the fucking irc channel is still #flt too.
You can use the proper GANOO PLUS LEENUCKS name whenever required, but the abbreviation should remain as simple as possible i.e. /flt/.

You've been given an inch, stallmanites, don't ruin it for yourselves now.
>>
>>54200067
Stop being pedantic and just answer the guy's question.

>>54200048
Have you tried enabling DRI3 or setting TearFree to true in your xorg.conf?
>>
>>54200049
UUID=9bc54339-5d78-4ede-93a1-3c33e31a64ff /home ext4 defaults 0 2

Like this?
>>
>>54200101
>Stop being pedantic and just answer the guy's question.
I'm not pedantic, I explain to that anon her/his error
>Following the Ubuntu wiki and not the Arch wiki.
>>
>>54200108
Yeah like that, assuming you got the UUID correctly
>>
>>54200101
>Have you tried enabling DRI3 or setting TearFree to true in your xorg.conf?
TearFree rings a bell, the other I duno. I'll look into it.
just kind of went "fuck it" few months back knowing i was upgrading soon anyway
>>
>>54200123
Its correct, problem is still there
I just dont get it, before clicking File System i can run the shellscript without problems and afterwards I cant

Its also always the same wallpaper, even if I change it, it gets reverted on reboot
I did update to 16.04 but that shouldnt be a problem, right?
>>
>>54200249
Are you sure it's correct? You can get the uuid by doing
 ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid 
in a terminal.
What's the output of
 mount 
?
If it is indeed the right uuid, you must unmount the problematic /home and mount your new /home location or just reboot.
>>
>>54200316
It's correct
Output of mount: http://pastebin.com/hfeJWbQ9

Could it be because of messed up DE installations? I installed Ubuntu (the vanilla one with Unity) 14.04, then installed XFCE which later caused problems when I wanted to try Cinnamon, which I uninstalled. I managed to fix it, but I still have 2 options for XFCE (one just xfce and one Xubuntu session)
>>
>>54200091
>i don't like to upgrade
>>
>>54200462
I don't think so? I can't think of any reason why a DE would mess up your system. If I were you and I've ran out of options, I'll just do a reinstall. It's much faster that way than poking in the dark troubleshooting.
>>
>>54200519
Well I guess that would work, just hoped it would come to it

Atleast I can partition it better, Windows gets banished to the HDD
>>
I am testing Ubuntu 16.04 with a Live CD.

The first thing I saw is the Amazon shortcut on the bar.

I never asked for a botnet.
>>
>>54200559
You did move all of /home not just your user folder?
>>
Hi /g/entoomen,

I want to hop from Windows 7 to Linux (or GNU/Linux). I have some experience with it, I've used Xubuntu for about 2 months altogether, but it seemed too bare and the screen tearing bothered me.

What distro would you recommend? I was thinking default Ubuntu with Unity or Kubuntu.

Also my hardware's pretty ancient, a dua core Phenom processor, 4GB of ram and a HD 4730 or a GT 610 (which has artifacts with proprieteary drivers, but not open source ones)
>>
>>54200694
You can easily fix the screen tearing with some commands.
Other than that, if you want something similar to Windumb use Cinnamon/Linux Mint
>>
>>54200576
were you born yesterday?
>>
Who's contributing to the website anyways?
>>
>Any Snap package you install is completely capable of copying all your private data to wherever it wants with very little difficulty
>An application that has no access to any of your private data can wait until your session is idle, open an unconfined terminal and then use cURL to send your data to a remote site
>http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-expert-matthew-garrett-ubuntu-16-04s-new-snap-format-is-a-security-risk/

Can anyone explain the issue for a linux noob? I thought snap is like AUR and therefore a good upgrade to apt? Is there a comparable issue in Windows? If it's bad, can it be disabled?
>>
>>54200576

The vanilla ubuntu version from canonical has amazon integration and search result shit. It can be removed if you absolutely love unity but gnome/ubuntu and kubuntu (ubuntu+plasma) have new 16.04 live cds out and neither comes with any of that shit.
>>
Is there any way to make Thunar search hit parts of file name instead of being exact?

For example, when I want to search for a folder named [name] I have to type in the brackets as well, I want to it to be able to find it if I just type in the name.
>>
>>54201151
My first option now was going with Xubuntu.

I don't care that much about Unity because I'm just starting my migration from Windows to Linux.
>>
Does anyone know how to change the resolution of plymouth and change resolution of SDDM? I use Manjaro Linux 16.06-pre2 right now.
>>
>>54201022
>I thought snap is like AUR and therefore a good upgrade to apt?
APT is garbage, no amounts of updates will make it good

>Is there a comparable issue in Windows?
Yes, "snap package" is exactly what an .exe installer on Windows is. Windows applications are self contained with all/most of their dependencies. This is what Snap packages try to copy.

>If it's bad, can it be disabled?
Lol. You're downloading a shady software from a shady website and then voluntarily give it system administrator priviledges to install.
If you could disable such behaviour, WIndows wouldn't have a reputation for malware ridden piece of shit.

This article could very easily be named "free software expert richard stallman proprietary software is a security risk" and point exactly the same fucking arguments. You never know what you're getting.
>>
a client gave me their old server for free
what should i do with ?
>intel xeon e5420 quad 2.5Ghz
>12Gb Ram DDR2
>4x 500GB WD HDD
>>
>>54201271
>>54201022

Is snap even doing anything in a default install? Do I need to worry about it if I install through apt-get and aptitude?
>>
>>54201334
- host own mail server
- calendar, contacts, file sync
- seed popular and less popular linux isos
- generate bitcoin?
>>
>>54201170
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/custom-actions

Those search actions might be what you need.
>>
>>54201334
It's trash. My laptop is more powerful.
>>
How do I disable UEFI? There is an option to turn off safe boot but no UEFI settings.

Is Ubuntu a sellout to M$?
>>
>>54201365
no
>>
File: Untitled.png (13 KB, 193x273) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
13 KB, 193x273
>>54201397
Yeah but I would have to go through the context menu which will require more clicks overall, in fact the context actually has a search function by default.
>>
>>54201450
UEFI is not something you disable.
UEFI is a replacement for BIOS.
A shitty one should i mention.

If you want BIOS-like installation on a uefi mobo look for "legacy settings" or something like that
>>
Im trying to see wich gnu/linux install, but previously i wanna try some distros, my problem is that virtualbox only runs ubuntu and not anyother. It says no bootable device, the is haltred! And crash
>>
File: 1445648004376.png (151 KB, 742x828) Image search: [Google]
1445648004376.png
151 KB, 742x828
>linux
not even once
>>
File: 1458916307692.png (46 KB, 602x500) Image search: [Google]
1458916307692.png
46 KB, 602x500
>>54201675
Tippers:
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/jkisielewicz/gtk2-filepicker-iconview/

Amazuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~helkaluin/+archive/ubuntu/gtk2-filechooser-iconview

Arsch Linux:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/

Absolute Madmen:
https://gist.github.com/ahodesuka/01213036b58e510dc074
https://gist.github.com/ahodesuka/49c1d0eea4b64f24c4c7
>>
>>54201720
FF is using GTK3, fuck off.
>>
>>54201675
How could anyone use that?
>>
>>54201735
Last I looked at the bug report there was someone porting the patch to gtk3, go get it from them
>>
>>54201735
It's not anon

you should get gud
>>
>>54201022

>snap is like AUR and therefore a good upgrade to apt?
There's so much wrong with that statement, I don't know where to start.
>>
What is that one ubuntu/gtk theme called where the close, minimalize and maximize buttons are red, green and yellow (iirc)?

I had it installed once, but forgot the name.
>>
>>54201846
Strange. I'm on 45.0. Wonder why I'm not on 45.0.2. No issues with the update manager, nor is there any issue trying to run it via the terminal.

Oh well.
>>
>>54201930
Which distro?
>>
>>54201934
Mint 17.3. Not overly concerned about it. Just an oddity.

And yeah, I know, babby's first Linux. But it is (my first Linux), and it's a recent change. I'm slowly learning it all, and am working while applying for other jobs. Not a LOT of free time, and I like to do other things, as well. I want to try Kali next.
>>
>>54201965
When you think you're ready. Install Arch or Gentoo. It's the only way to have an uptodate linux distro. Anything else is always outdated.
>>
>>54201992
I doubt I'll ever be ready for that. But thanks for the tip!
>>
>>54201992
>>54202003
yeah nah don't listen to him
gentoo has it's uses and arch is a meme
>>
>>54201992
>what is OpenSuse Tumbleweed

basically on a scale from 1 to up to date:
1. CentOS, RHEL
2. Debian Stable
5. Debian Testing
7. Linux Mint, ElementaryOS
8. Ubuntu, OpenSuse Leap, Fedora
10. Arch, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, all rolling releases

left out Gentoo and others because I'm an uneducated swine and don't know nuffin about them
>>
Just installed Xubuntu 16.04.

I'm jus tying to install VLC and WPS Office and both get stuck on "Installing".

Is the default software manager unreliable or what?
>>
>>54202089
Yeah, it sucks. Just use a terminal or if you absolutely need a gui, there's synaptic.
>>
>>54201663
Download and make a live cd of any distro most come that way by default. Instead of hitting install whatever hit the try button. Runs a little slower off the cd but it will allow you to try most distros this way.
>>
>Lumux (Luh-Mucks)
>One who usually has any of the following characteristics: Sloping forehead, knuckles drag on ground as they walk, overbite with wide jaw used for cracking walnuts, ignorant, and/or a high school, college, or pro football or hockey player.
>>
File: idort 2.jpg (12 KB, 493x471) Image search: [Google]
idort 2.jpg
12 KB, 493x471
seq should be POSIX.
>>
>>54202452
make it a distro
>>
Do I enable this?
>>
>>54202485
it is idiot
>>
Anybody knows when approx will ubuntu (xubuntu) 16.04.1 be released? Should I wait for it or just install 16.04 right now?
>>
>>54202524
You probably don't need it.
>>
>>54202649
you can't upgrade that shit without reinstalling?
>>
>>54202701
I probably can but I was asking because usually in later versions bugs are fixed and its more stable, and I'm in need for stability atm. I mean maybe Im shitting too much, differences will be probably minor.
>>
>>54202774
I'm using Xubuntu 16.04 right now, not seeing any bugs
>>
File: 1403568787319.jpg (77 KB, 630x480) Image search: [Google]
1403568787319.jpg
77 KB, 630x480
What's a good chemical drawing tool?
>>
>>54202612
It is not genius.
>>
To get Qt applications to use my icon theme, I have to export either XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME or DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome. Is there a downside to this? I'm afraid some other things will get triggered by this too.
>>
Ubuntu/Debian/Xubuntu for dualboot with windows?
>>
>>54202868
debian
>>
File: Xfce.png (263 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Xfce.png
263 KB, 1024x1024
Xubuntu or Linux Mint with Xcfe?

Which should I go with since that's the DE I'm comfy with.

Or just any other distro. I can throw it on almost anything I'm sure.
>>
>>54203103
Probably Xubuntu over Mint.
Alternatively you could try Manjaro which has XFCE by default.
>>
>>54203103
Xubuntu. Linux mint is trash and outdated. Still on 14.04, that's 2 years old! Xubuntu 16.04 was released only a few days ago!
>>
Lubuntu is still not releasing 16.04 with LXQt...
>>
>>54203124
>>54203138
Thanks guys, going with Xubuntu.
>>
>>54200121
You have autism
>>
These threads would be so much more active if we stopped spliting them into 2. The flt thread with new copypasta is garbage and needs to be stopped. Should be janitored or banned on site.
>>
I like Unity
>>
>>54203567
Fuck off tripfag. >>>/r/eddit
>>
File: 1442912405809.png (343 KB, 671x1047) Image search: [Google]
1442912405809.png
343 KB, 671x1047
>>
I used to run Arch for a couple months a few months ago, but then after an update, my Wi-Fi stopped working. If I reinstall it, I do ifconfig [adapter] down and then ip link set [adapter] down and then do wifi-menu and connect to my Wi-Fi and everything is good. Then I install the base doing pacstrap base base-devel and then reboot (well, I update grub on my Ubuntu partition and then boot up into the new Arch install).

So I boot up to Arch, and I try to do ifconfig down, and it says I'm missing a package, so I hook my phone up and tether it and connect doing dhcpcd [adapter] and then download the package, then I disconnect my phone and do ifconfig [adapter] down and then ip link set [adapter] down, then try to do wifi-menu. It says I need two packages to run wifi-menu, so I hook my phone up again and install wifi-menu.

I run wifi-menu and then it tries to scan for Wi-Fi, but it fails at scanning. Before doing pacstrap and installing the base system, Wi-Fi worked fine, but after, it stopped working.

The machine I run on is a Lenovo Yoga 13 (2012) [base model] and my wireless card is a Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8723AU 802.11n WLAN Adapter. Is there a fix for this at all or something I'm doing wrong? Or am I just plain out of luck?
>>
>>54203103
Use Mate if you want a similar DE.
>>
>>54203103
https://ubuntu-mate.org/xenial/
>>
>sudo pacman -Rd nvidia-340xx-utils
>error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>nvidia-340xx-libgl: removing nvidia-340xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-340xx-utils'
>nvidia-340xx-lts: removing nvidia-340xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-340xx-utils'

What do /flt/?
>>
My screen is "rippling" when scrolling in Firefox. Does anyone know how to fix? Running Xubuntu, latest.
>>
>>54204915
Change you WM from xfwm4 to Compton or Compiz. And that rippling is screen tearing.
>>
>>54204844

Posting here because apparently that other thread isn't the friendly Linux thread
>>
>>54204971
What do you mean what happened to elementary os?
>>
File: nautilus.png (125 KB, 1051x867) Image search: [Google]
nautilus.png
125 KB, 1051x867
>>54201675
nautilus today
>>
This is a really basic question but I didn't see anything in the resources about it.

If I'm someone who uses my pc mostly for gaymeng, internet browsing, and watching the chinese cartoons, is there really any point in using linux other than looking pretty? It just seems like more hassle to do what I'd normally do on windows.
>>
>>54205086
Buy a console and install Linux.
>>
>>54205008
http://niceme.me
>>
I'm using Xubuntu 16.04 as my first Linux distro.

How can I know if I installed Compton properly or I'm just experiencing placebo effect?

It says on the terminal that Compton is already installed but when I tried to add it to application autostart on the settings manager it wasn't listed there so I manually added the config file.
>>
>>54204968

Thanks, this worked.
>>
>>54205184
Awesome! :)
>>
>>54205191
Please stop tripfagging, thanks.
>>
>>54204968

You're an idiot. Why would you tell him to switch his window manager without even knowing the cause of the tearing? He could be using an Intel GPU and all he'd need would be one line in a config to disable it.
>>
Do not add the config file to the autostart, add Compton (the executable) itself.
But first do this >>54205417. You might not need Compton to fix tearing.
>>
>>54205417
You're not a nice guy. Why would you insult someone for telling him to switch his window manager without even knowing the cause of the tearing? He could be using an Intel GPU and all he'd need would be one line in a config to disable it in a friendly thread?
>>
>>54205438
I'm using a 560Ti, with 361,42 drivers.

How can I locate the Compton exectuable? I have no fucking clue where it is and it doesn't show on the list.
>>
>>54205519

Type "which compton" in a terminal. That's where Compton is located.
>>
Is there a good beginner's guide for how to manage wine prefixes and generally just use wine? I've messed around with it a bit but it seems like I'm just guessing at settings or blindly following what people on winehq have said works. I want to actually understand it.
>>
>>54205708
Arch Wiki
>>
>>54205708
use playonlinux, it does it for you
>>
>>54206001
nonfree bloat
>>
>>54206012
playonlinux is
>just a frontend to wine
>licensed under GPL
so fuck off cunt
>>
>>54206001
I want to actually understand though. I want to be able to fix things when they break.
>>
>>54206084
licensing under gpl doesnt make it free, retard
>>
guys help me with this pekwm config
>>
>>54206119
*I'm trying to make xterm as 100x100 with pekwm autoproperties but it doesnt work
>>
>>54206119
>>54206172
put
XTerm*geometry:     

followed by number of characters in a line x number of lines

in your ~/.Xresources

so for example the default config is
XTerm*geometry: 80x24
>>
How to get the newest mpv and ffmpeg on Ubuntu Studio 14.04 if I don't want to compile?
>>
File: 1457543345216.png (25 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1457543345216.png
25 KB, 500x501
>>54206114
>>
>>54206114
GPL is the definition of "free software"
>>
>>54206323
that's not the point dummy

the point is to experiment with pekwm autoproperties not xterm size
>>
>>54199517
Welp just made the jump to ubuntu from windows on my surface pro 3. So far it's bretty gut but I can't get my bluetooth mouse and sp4 type cover to work. If anyone has any idea how to help it would be much appreciated!
>>
How can I get rid of this crackling in pulseaudio? It's fucking annoying. Here's some DominoEX signals from fldigi that show them. http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JDPNqvunTM

daemon.conf: http://pastebin.com/UWaUuCgJ
default.pa: http://pastebin.com/bcUWjCZx
xiaohuo@iMac ~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xc8500000 irq 29
1 [Headset ]: USB-Audio - Logitech G930 Headset
Logitech Logitech G930 Headset at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, full speed
>>
>>54205546
Looks like it worked now thanks.

Now I just have to find a replacement for MS Office and I'll be set.
>>
>>54206512
Well fuck me, disregard that vocaroo.
>>
>>54206437
that's the point dummy, you can't freely change floating xterm's window size, not even by hand.
It will always "snip" to the nearest set characters in line x number of lines size

In fact I don't know of any terminal emulator where the thing you desire is possible.
>>
Is it possible to fuck up Arch so bad after the installation that you need to format and start over?
>>
>>54204596
Can anyone help me with this?
>>
>>54206605
what kind of question is that?

anything is possible if you are incompetent enough.
>>
Is installing Arch worth it? I have Ubuntu and I've been debating installing Arch.
>>
>>54206666
If you need the customization, go for it.
>>
>>54206666
satanic quads, nice!
Disregard all the Arch hate. But you should know what you're doing if you keep using Arch for a longer time. If you want to install it as a learning exercise then go for it, it's going to be fun. Just don't tell anybody that you've learned more about Linux that way, or else they will tell you that everything in Arch is done by scripts and you should install gentoo
>>
>>54206119
How do you like it compared to fluxbox? Never used it before.
>>
File: 1a2.jpg (5 KB, 215x268) Image search: [Google]
1a2.jpg
5 KB, 215x268
>>54206666
Interesting get.
>>54206711
>>54206734

How would I go about replacing Ubuntu with it? Just wiping my Ubuntu partition?
>>
>>54206666
Installing arch is easy. Don't believe the hype.
>>
>>54206750
it's easy if your /home is on a separate partition from everything else. Then it goes more or less like this:
- boot into Arch live system
- format old / partition
- mount / at /mnt and /home at /mnt/home
- install system, create users

and then your /home will still be there
>>
>>54206784
aand I forgot to mention that all these steps are from the beginner's guide:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide
>>
>>54206784
wait a minute
is there 32-bit ISOs? I can't find any
>>
>>54206642
Is there good repo with it?
>>
>>54206784
Not him but guy without /home partition; is it possible to create a /home partition in a running system?
>>
>>54206837
Arch has arguably the most complete and up-to-date repository out of all distributions.
>>
>people seriously fall for the "arch is better at customization" meme

tell me one fucking example where arch is easier/different to customize than ubuntu, suse, mint, fedora, debian whatfucking ever
>>
>>54206858
I posted >>54206666
I have a /home partition
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 1M 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 46.6G 0 part
├─sda3 8:3 0 3G 0 part [SWAP]
├─sda4 8:4 0 139.7G 0 part /home
└─sda5 8:5 0 186.3G 0 part /
>>
>>54199517
I installed a minimal debain image on my Macbook air recently, and then installed i3 as the window manager, along with some basic utilities, and now, when I close my laptop, it will go into suspend/hibernate/whatever, but when I open it back up, it won't ask me for my password, the screen just wakes up and there's my desktop/porn/terminal/whatever I had open. How do I make it ask for a password on open?
>>
>>54206858
depends on where you want to take the space from. If you have a huge Windows partition you can shrink it from your Linux session and create a new /home partition, yes.
But what's more likely is that you'll have to shrink your / partition, and you can only do that when it's not in use
>>
>>54206971
Easymode: use xfce4-power-manager.
>>
>>54206897
Root should be much smaller than your home. 50gb is more than enough. Mine is 20 personally.
>>
>>54201902
6 hours late, but I think you're talking about flatabulous
>>
>>54207203
I'll fix that when I have to partition, but the CD isn't even recognized. I burnt the ISO to it.
>>
>>54206711

There is nothing which can be customized on Arch that can't be customized on Ubuntu. Why do you give out advice about things you don't have no knowledge of?
>>
File: 20160424_161007.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160424_161007.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Well fuck me, what the shit is this?
>>
>>54207269
Not him, but I defnitley prefer it for a minimal install. It has nice tools like wifi-menu to make installation much simpler. If I had ethernet I might pick debian sid, though.
>>
>>54206997
Thanks
>>
Are empathy message windows supposed to be sticked to the message tray in gnome? I can't even open normal chat windows anymore.

This behavior started yesterday andf I have no idea wtf is going on.
>>
File: 1434080849305.jpg (201 KB, 1065x902) Image search: [Google]
1434080849305.jpg
201 KB, 1065x902
>>54199517
>mfw
>>
File: 1445589080850.gif (3 MB, 300x208) Image search: [Google]
1445589080850.gif
3 MB, 300x208
Should I install bash or zsh? What's better?
>>
File: yoda-bait.jpg (146 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
yoda-bait.jpg
146 KB, 500x378
>>54207804
>>
How do I get AMD drivers on 16.04? Been googling for hours.
>>
$ man tee

i wasnt aware rms actually programmed
>>
>>54207943
man ls
>>
>>54207865
bourne or zsh
>>
>>54201720
So, this pasta is great and all, but how do I apply this patch through the PPA?
>>
>>54202089
Use synaptic or jump to LM if you don't care about snaps. Also I personally recommend running Office 07 through Wine instead of WPS, it doesn't format any better than Libreoffice.
>>
>>54207943
man grep
man make
>>
Please help me /g/, because I'm about to lose my mind. I'm literally out of ideas.
>For some reason whenever I start up my DE and Xorg, the middle mouse button gets held down and doesn't let go until I disable and enable my touchpad.
>It starts the moment I move the cursor a little, no matter the input method - touchpad or trackpoint.
>if I start the session with the touchpad disabled, there's no such issue.
How the fuck do I solve this? I can't even use a startup script, because the start of the issue differs based on when I first touch the touchpad after boot. How do I run a script the moment a touchpad is initialized?
>>
>>54208307
Stop using arch.
>>
>>54208341
I'm not using Arch though.
>>
>>54208353
The hell are you using that you have to start up your DE and Xorg?
>>
>>54208372
What I meant was a standard boot into the DE.
>>
File: gentoo-no-gui.png (15 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-no-gui.png
15 KB, 720x400
I just installed Gentoo and now I want to put Cinnamon in it. What commands should I type? I used genkernel to compile the kernel with systemd support.
>>
Why does LFS come with Systemd? It's Linux From Scratch... It shouldn't come with a preconfigured init system.
>>
File: untitled.png (60 KB, 1066x735) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
60 KB, 1066x735
Using a ThinkPad W530 with a Quadro K2000M. BIOS is UEFI mode, and partitions are GPT.

I'm setting up an eGPU, and one of the requirements is
"Do a USB install, add an experimental UEFI framework to \config.bin
directoru as uefi.iso or uefi.img and hope it chainload your OS whilst
preserving the modified PCI config space."

Pic related is the directory structure.

So I follow the instructions here: http://i.imgur.com/m8SLBTk.png

and I can't even boot from the USB.

I was wondering if you guys knew more about the directory structure to let me boot from this thing. USB would be easiest, but can I just burn to a CD/DVD?
>>
>>54208702
SecureBoot is off, boot from USB is enabled, and I also tried with "Quick Boot" off.

If it matters, I've been trying to boot from a Micro SD card attached to a Kingston SD card reader. It's worked for everything else I've tried (Installing Windows, Fedora, etc.), so I doubt this has anything to do with it.
>>
>>54207915
You're stuck with the free ones. AMD has stopped developing proprietary drivers and have moved to helping out with the open source ones.

This is a good thing overall. FGLRX has been worse than radeonsi for awhile now.

Don't worry. I use AMD and I can play all my steam games with the free drivers, have been doing it for ages now. They aren't shit like they used to be.
>>
>>54208785
Oh I should also mention, you do not have to install anything. It's all installed already.
>>
>>54208785
Where can I find the open-source driver?
>>
>>54208804
>>54208801
It's already installed by default.
>>
>>54208661
>It shouldn't come with a preconfigured init system.
How else would you boot it you fuckwit?

LFS is a base system that contains only build tools that you use to build your own linux-based system.
>>
>>54201151

Is Ubuntu's GNOME mix any good? I like flashy DE's and Xubuntu looks so... plain.
>>
Is it possible to change systemD back to systemV?
>>
>>54209326
It's decent. Gnome is nice. I prefer Fedora for gnome, but Ubuntu gnome is almost as good. Easier for newer people I think.
>>
>>54209368
on certain distros use different inits
if you want sysv, i think gobo uses it.

mind if i ask for what purpose?
and please, try to avoid regurgitating memes.
>>
>>54209479
I'm just wondering if it's a possible thing to do on a running system
>>
>>54209368
>>54209479
completely forgot

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>>
How do I uninstall X and just start at tty? on pacman?
>>
>>54209479
>mind if i ask for what purpose?
>and please, try to avoid regurgitating memes.
Yes, because someone can't possibly ask without justifying themselves.
>>
>>54209511
changing init systems is possible. it's just software

but I don't know of any systemd-enabled distros that actually offer sysvinit (or any other init) as a possible replacement.

It would probably require massive amounts of work
>>
>>54209563
http://www.talkenglish.com/lessondetails.aspx?ALID=2048
>>
>install linux on father's pc
>1 month later he start talking about hackers trying to enter his pc from "the server"

don't make my mistake, when installing for relatives choose botnet
>>
You fuckers keep arguing about systemd. You should be using gentoo anyway.
>>
>>54209606
and you're giving them reason to go and yell around more because it gets people agitated.

kill self
>>
>>54200019

There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels.
>>
>>54201334

You could run a minecraft server on it
>>
File: Firefoxbuttons.png (369 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Firefoxbuttons.png
369 KB, 1024x768
In Firefox/KDE, I disabled the window border because it's a waste of space imo. Is there a way to get Minimize/Maximize/Close on the top right?
>>
>>54209760
a) no
b) buttons are for gays
c) use hotkeys
>>
>>54209591
Nice meme hun
>>
>>54209760
Think there is an addon that does that but I don't remember the name of it. Google will help I'm sure.
>>
>>54201992

I switched from arch to gentoo because arch drove me crazy with the amount of updates you had to install. Sometimes i go crazy and just dont want to update my perfectly running system for a month. After i installed the 2gig updates released in this month i often had troubles after rebooting or even a os which was not booting anymore. I took a lot of time to install gentoo, especially the manual kernel config but now i'm perfectly satisfied with my os.
>>
>>54201334
Just a shot in the dark, but I'd suggest installing Gentoo. It gets rave reviews on this four channel website
>>
Yo /fglt/

Okay I may have a problem. I built a FX-8350 machine with a Sabertooth 990fx board. I havent overclocked anything. Now I installed Psensor on Ubuntu 16.04. It shows my cpu temp at 54 C... WTF? When I had CPU-Z monitoring it and a few other sys monitors when booted into win aids, it was consistantly at 15-20c.. What do?
>>
Is Sabayon 100% free? Does it come with nonfree blobs on the kernel or nonfree drivers?
>>
>>54210296
now at 56c and getting hotter.. And I thought my rMBP got fucking hot
>>
>>54209760
how did you get the kubuntu logo in the panel?
>>
I just switched from OS Keks to Kubuntu.

how do I
>get the wifi working
>get the alt key to type special characters
>get a global menu in the panel (if that's an option)
>>
I'm a fucking tard, but here we go.

I set everything up to have X start at login, so I disabled my display manager's SystemD service and now I get a blank screen when I boot up. I've tried setting the target to multi-user in my GRUB entry, but no luck. Any ideas?
>>
>>54210361
>Sabayon
>>
Is there a good easy way to combine multiple icon packs to make a custom one?
>>
>>54210361
Yes it does. If you want free go for Parabola.
>>
>>54210462
Chroot in and set it so that it no longer tries to boot to desktop? Or just reenable your DM. One of the two.
>>
File: qEVRLpG.jpg (124 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
qEVRLpG.jpg
124 KB, 500x688
>>54210380
now it shows 47c... First off this is another reason why I hate Celsius..
There is some faggotry going on in my system
>>
>>54210726
Isn't Parabola Arch-based?
>>
>>54210785
Yeah. It's the FSF-approved fork of Arch, basically
>>
>>54210785
Yes. It and Trisquel are the only actively maintained freetard distros. Others are abandonware.
>>
>>54210745
Great, that worked surprisingly well. Thank you.
>>
I want to stop using windows and be botnet free eventually but i'm having troubles getting started.

I've tried arch and gentoo as people said it was not hard to install but after sinking hours into the guides and still getting walled at an error during the installation i feel like i need something easy to get started. I couldn't understand a thing about file systems, why it needs a 4 different /sda or stuff such as using genkernel.

I need suggestions on other distros for idiots who never used anything besides windows to get started. It doesn't have to be an absolute windows emulator but not a distro that makes me configure everything right out the bat.

I've been suggested ubuntu and mint but i don't want to go from one botnet to another or use a distro whose site has been compromised. I want to eventually use funtoo or tails
>>
>>54210974
funtoo is pretty easy to use, the installation is simple and you don't have to delve in to the kernel stuff because it comes with a binary to get you going. You're not going to learn why you need 4 different sdas by using mint. If you don't understand something, google it or ask here or on an irc.
>>
>>54200576
Ok so remove it. It's still Linux right? You have the power to do that. If it was Windows you'd be stuck with it.
>>
OK I want to use Debian because I've heard it's extremely stable, but my dad says it's too difficult for me. The last time he used it was in the 90's or early 00's, but I'm a very gullible person. Why does he say it's hard?

>inb4 he can't use linux

He's a network admin, uses Ubuntu on his desktop rn but has used Debian and Slackware as well. He says he learned Linux many years ago and went back to Windows cause that's what most people use.

I remember using Ubuntu as a kid too, so obviously he doesn't think all Linux is bad if he has his kids use it.
>>
>>54211089
>extremely stable
What do you think it means to be "stable"? You might have the wrong definition for it.
>>
>>54211089
What difference does it make what other people use? Most people are fucking morons, doesn't mean you should do what they do.
debian is not that hard, it's all documented so it's a question of whether you can read, if you need to.
>>
>>54209542
what ?

>>54208661
there's two books, one with systemd, another with sysvinit.

>>54206863
it is not. All linux systems are the same, you can install whatever you want on it.
The thing with archlinux is not about "customization" but about packages installed on your system. It doesn't come with a lot of things and you just install what you need. You know exactly what's on it etc.
>>
>>54211159
Stuff doesn't break?
>>
>>54211089
Debian was my first distro in 2004. I had no problems.
>>
>>54206863
It's easier as a minmal install than others because it has cool tools like wifi-menu. Getting wireless working without ethernet is really annoying on other distros.With arch you just type "wifi-menu" and you're done.
>>
>>54211089
>OK I want to use Debian because I've heard it's extremely stable, but my dad says it's too difficult for me. The last time he used it was in the 90's or early 00's, but I'm a very gullible person. Why does he say it's hard?
because few years ago, installing linux was actually something difficult. Nowadays when you install debian only thing you have to do is modifying the source.list to enable community and non free repos and install you wifi drivers.
and listen to >>54211161
People are morrons.

>>54211203
Mostly. But most linux distributions are stable nowadays. You won't have troubles using debian testing or even arch. I had more troubles using ubuntu than arch or debian.
Debian can have a bad support of recent GPU for example. Stable isn't always a nice thing
>>
>>54211293
>With arch you just type "wifi-menu" and you're done.
If it has NetworkManager, just type nmtui and you're done.
>>
>>54211362
I'm talking about minimal installs, where you only have access to wifi. With a minimal install of debian for example, you don't get network manager. So you'd have to jump through hoops and put it on a usb and it's just a waste of time when you could have just typed wifi-menu.

With ethernet access it doesn't matter what you pick. But that's why I chose arch. Because I'm lazy.
>>
>>54211203
Almost. But if it breaks, it breaks predictably.
What it actually means is that software doesn't receive feature updates. The software VERSION is the one kept stable.
>>
I want to use debian because it's so OLD, and I think that's just great. I love my software to be older than my father. But he said it's too hard to use because it's too old for me. Help me, I should I use this OLD software or not?

(Stable has nothing to do with stability, only age in Debian speak.)
>>
>>54211569
>if it breaks, it breaks predictably
Exactly. And that's why I use stable.

Of course, there are exceptions like the recent xscreensaver fiasco, but that shouldn't really count because most upstreams don't have a telephone pole up their ass like jwz does.

>>54211671
So regressions don't exist?
>>
I have an odd question, /fglt/. I've been using Ubuntu Linux 12.04 for a while now, and love Unity. However, I looked at 14.04, and I didn't like it for small reasons (icons not lighting up a little while hovering over, etc.). I just liked the Unity from 12.04 more. Is there a way I can upgrade to the new 16.04 while keeping that old Unity UI? Or will I just have to suck it up and get used to it? Thanks
>>
>>54211742
suck it up
>>
>>54211671
>(Stable has nothing to do with stability, only age in Debian speak.)
Not true. They package software into unstable, if it has no bugs raised against it after a while it is moved into testing. Every two years they don't let any nev versions of software into testing, only bug fixes and security updates. They do this for six months so that no new bugs are added and they have a fair amount of time to make sure they are no major existing bugs. Then they name testing stable and start over. So yes the software in stable is a least 6 months old but more importantly it and the whole system at that point has been tested for stability for 6 months.
>>
Does SLI not work in Linux? I noticed when I plugged in my 2nd GPU the Nvidia server panel didn't work right, so I had to enable SLI with the terminal using "nvidia-xconfig --sli=Auto
". Now everything's fucked, windows are flickering like crazy. Using Arch+KDE btw.
>>
>>54212337
Logged into Awesome and it's mostly fine. The Nvidia control panel is still unusable but at least there's no flickering. This sucks, I usually use KDE for casual shit but it's completely broken. I'll have to download and try another non-tiling WM to see if that's the problem.
>>
>>54212693
Could it be that KDE uses a compositing WM while Awesome doesn't? Maybe you could try fiddling with kwin.
>>
>>54212337
>Nvidia
>Arch
>KDE
found your problem
>>
Hey guys can someone help me get nicer looking text on Mint? The fonts don't look as sharp as on OS X or even other Linux distributions.
>>
Out of morbid curiosity, what are the advantages of doing a "Stage 1" install during a Gentoo installation?
>>
>>54213567
Not much for most people. If you're installing it for some kind of embedded use or something it might be handy.
>>
Anyone got that handy infographic for installing Arch? Trying to introduce my son to Linux and I think that would help him ease in
>>
>>54213982
he'd learn more if you walked him through lfs
>>
>>54213982
Tell him to read the wiki, that's what it's there for.
>>
>>54213982
Bullshit mate, what a transparent ruse.
>>
i found a cpu-z alternative for GNU+Linux distros

CUP-G has 16.04 support already
>>
File: mymememachine.png (423 KB, 1040x869) Image search: [Google]
mymememachine.png
423 KB, 1040x869
>>54214108
god damn im a faggot, CPU-G
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/03/gtk3-version-of-cpu-g-cpu-z-for-linux/
>>
File: 1461383661233.png (401 KB, 1631x1571) Image search: [Google]
1461383661233.png
401 KB, 1631x1571
>mfw using ArchBang
>>
>>54214192
dumb frogposter
>>
>>54214192
>archbang
>not pacbang
get with the times grampa
>>
anyone getting flickering on chromium and atom after waking up the computer?

on ubuntu 16.04.
>>
>>54214489
This is bait
>>
>>54214539
how is this bait?

only because i'm not using arch?
>>
>>54199517
Anybody riced mint before? Should I do it?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.