[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats so good about linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10
i am a windows user and i don't see all the fanfare behind linux and its many flavors. what merits does it have over windows? or is it just overhyped because its a coders paradise? i am interested in trying it btw.
>>
>>54206973
>Whats so good about linux?
everything
>>
>>54207040
Any specifics? recommended distros for newbs?
>>
File: 1449139181202.jpg (103 KB, 299x398) Image search: [Google]
1449139181202.jpg
103 KB, 299x398
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54207077
>Checked
Ok then, whats so great about GNU/linux?
>>
Linux can barely install properly. Use 7 until support ends and then commit sudoku.
>>
>>54207100
That's an entirely different question.. please start a new thread
>>
>>54206973
because it isn't shit, unlike NT.
>>
>>54207052
I use gnu/Linux because i like the feeling that i can do whatever i like with my os. I have full control of my system. I love to rice and gnu/Linux is obviously the best option for it. Also i like to make my friends think im haxor :^)

I'd recommend Linux mint or some *buntu for newbies
>>
File: Torvalds.jpg (176 KB, 800x1146) Image search: [Google]
Torvalds.jpg
176 KB, 800x1146
>>54207077
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'.
The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were
the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler.
Those are fine and inspired products.
GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS,
and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later).
He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends.
Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux?
Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you.
You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff.
The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so.
Linus has spoken. Accept his authority.
To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
>>
File: 1442608965112.jpg (329 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1442608965112.jpg
329 KB, 3840x2160
Faster than windows. I can do whatever I want. Update when I want. Install only what I want. Great costumizability. I can access my computer from anywhere through ssh. Just freedom.
>>
Transparency, freedom, you are owner of your os and can interfer with everything.
Superior developer and server tools.
Better and faster at automatizing tasks that haven't a specific sw written for it, on windows it would be very time consuming.
>>
>>54207149
I notice you don't mention [spoiler]compatibility[/spoiler].
>>
>>54207040
>>54207077
>>54207118
>>54207132

I love how /g/ freetards spend their time raving muh linux but can't take five minutes to explain seriously why their edgy shit is supposedly better.
Maybe it's because it isn't that obvious...
>>
>>54207183
And I don't care about that. I use what I like, and I'm happy that way.
>>
>>54207149
>>54207145
So, merit one, u can customize everything? and im going to be getting a pc with 2 hardrives so i thought i could set one for windows the other for the selected choice of linux and dual boot it/
>>
>>54207223
Yes you can do that, no problem
>>
>>54207243
but the question is whats the flavor to get for a newb like me?
>>
>>54206973
>windows user
> don't see all the fanfare behind linux

You never will. Stick with Windows, it's the sort of "operating system" designed for people like you. The linux communiry really isn't interested in people that can't be bothered to read 15 minutes of basics on linux showing up and trolling us with your stupid.

And, seriously: obvious troll is obvious. Go back to /pol/.
>>
>>54207217
Jesus, anon. You can push your pet OS as an acceptable standard but you can't accept that other people have different needs than you?
>>
>>54207255
You should get ubuntu or some ubuntu based distro, like linux mint, kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu mate, lubuntu or ubuntu gnome. Search them up and see what you like
>>
>>54207195
>can't take five minutes to explain

Why should anyone bother to "explain" fuck all of fuck anything to you? You're obviously trolling and/or too stupid to spend five minutes using google to get the basics.

tl;dr -- fuck you and fuck off
>>
>>54207271
im not trolling anon, im genuinely curious about the merits behind linux and its many flavors. and plus. im bored and wanna mess around with the new PC im getting soon.
>>
>>54207275
To be fair, this thread is about things it does better then Windows, not what Windows does better then Linux.
>>
>>54207298
Look how angry.
>>
I just installed Xubuntu today and so far almost everything works fine.

Can't say I enjoy googling problems like screen tearing and other trivial shit but I get this weird kind of joy while using the terminal, reading the wiki and learning how it works.
>>
>>54207275
I mean, don't get me wrong, I only use my laptop for programming and other stuff, not things like video editing etc... There are compatible alternatives indeed, but people always seem to complain about them
>>
>>54207315
ditto.
>>54207318
he is mad.

and u can spot me (op) cuz il be a namefag and call myself atlas
>>
It is generally a better tool for a lot of technical reasons, but windows might get better in the future, so I don't really see that as a reason to use gnu/linux.

The real reason is the license.
You have the freedom to use, study, modify and share the changes you make.
This means if you can fix something, you can use that fix and your help is often welcomed by people who work on the project.
If someone makes changes people disagree with, there will usually start a new project where those changes are not included.
So if you aren't interested in having a keylogger that reports back to a server, you can stay clear of that.
Projects that get abandoned by the developer can rise as something new because the code still exist from the last time someone worked on it.

It is how all software should be made, not influenced by corporate greed, but pushed forward as a human desire to make the world better.
>>
>>54207346
I am also Atlas.
>>
>>54207195
because it's better? ok i'll explain in detail why linux (even though most advantages here attribute to unix and unix-like) kernel is better than nt
1. file descriptors
When DOS took the concept of files from unix and other OS, they forgot one important thing - file descriptors. You can't move a file while using it and you have to reboot when installing some programs exactly because of the lack of file descriptors.
2. great console abstractions
Piping and redirection in console allow for doing many things impossible on windows without external programs
3. better filesystem hierarchy
On linux you can just hardcode the program path to something like /usr/bin and it'll work on 99% of the machines. But you can't just do that on windows like C://program files (x86)/ because some people install the application on other drive or have a 32-bit CPU
4. security
On windows a lot of programs straight up REQUIRE administrator account to function, and windows' file permission system is overcomplicated, compared to simplistic linux. Also on windows administrator account doesn't have all rights and you can't customize user account with linux's freedom
>>
>>54207380
afternoon frank.
>>
>>54207394
and im assuming they dont have normie stuff for linux like i tunes and steam?
>inb4 faggot for liking apple
>>
>>54207400
Would you kindly keep that on the down low.
>>
>>54207436
ok sir.
>>
>>54207434
linux totes has steam
and don't people loathe itunes?
>>
File: 1460513518672.jpg (246 KB, 643x960) Image search: [Google]
1460513518672.jpg
246 KB, 643x960
>>54207434
He doesn't know about steamOS
>>
>>54207465
i have it because i got a i phone six instead of getting an android. but il use it of its there.
and i think il go for a copy of unbuntu. now how to dual boot.
>>
>>54207459
You aren't from Sandusky, Ohio are ya lad?
>>
>>54207394
Thanks that's actually a great answer, it's especially great to have learned why installing stuff on windows requires rebooting compared to linux.

>>54207298
Oh my, did mommy forget to buy your Mt Dew?
>>
So, i think its boiing down between linux mint and unbuntu.
>>
>>54207486
install:
gentoo
arch
linux from scratch
and i think you can run itunes with properly configured virtualbox (it'll detect the phone)
>>
>>54206973

Same reason android is popular here. Autistic kids like to customize it with colorful themes and shit, and be able to tell people they are elite software testers.

No one actually uses it for their every day OS.
>>
>>54207486
When I decided to try linux, I accidentally wiped windows 7. I didn't know wtf I was doing but I'll tell yah, best mistake I've ever made so far. Sure it was very freaking hard to deal with but I eventually got the hang of it and gave ubuntu a chance. Now I'm happy with my system with everything working as it should and wayyy faster than windows.
>>
File: brainprobs.jpg (34 KB, 192x220) Image search: [Google]
brainprobs.jpg
34 KB, 192x220
>>54207566
>>
>>5420755
I only use linux and I'm fine with it, just like many other people :^)
>>
>>54207534
>>54207566
>checked

i think il be snagging a copy of unbuntu.
>>
>>54207595
INSTALL DEBIAN OR OPENSUSE OR FEDORA OR FUCKING ARCH EVEN
>>
>>54207595
*ubuntu
People are gonna think that you're trolling
>>
>>54207613
It's all fun and games until the real linux users get here.
>>
>>54207618
>>54207613
why? is unbuntu the P90 of the linux scene?
>>
>>54207595
Get Kubuntu, it's much more fully featured and much nicer. It's the closest you'll get to Windows right outside the box (Inb4 fags call useful features and a working system "bloat")
>>
>>54207645
> Keeps saying 'unbuntu'
>>
>>54207655
OR JUST INSTALL KDE ON REGULAR UBUNTU FFS
>>54207645
what's p90?
>>
>>54207645
Ubuntu uses unity which is shit, hence why so many spin offs exist like Lubuntu and kubuntu.

Ubuntu derivatives and fedora are obvious best choices, Linus himself uses Fedora.

Good luck anon
>>
>>54207676
>what's p90?
Some kinda crazy gun that homosexuals are fond of.
>>
File: 1459290659106.jpg (61 KB, 680x592) Image search: [Google]
1459290659106.jpg
61 KB, 680x592
>>54207579
I consider my mental health to be stable, but who knows, maybe I have some disorder
>>
>>54207676
the p90 is the noob weapon in CSGO. all u have to do is w+m1
>>
>>54207324
That's due to your choice of XFCE though, not all DEs have screen tearing problems.
>>
>>54207706
Oh I thought you meant the thinkpad
>>
>>54206973

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbABy9ul11I
>>
File: donttalktome.jpg (28 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
donttalktome.jpg
28 KB, 498x412
>>54207703
I got your memes here, son.
>>
File: 1460917830732.png (236 KB, 494x400) Image search: [Google]
1460917830732.png
236 KB, 494x400
>>54207324
Retarded. If you're going for minimal then use Lubuntu. It's lighter and it actually fucking works
>>
>>54207734
Does lubuntu use xcompmgr or compton by default? Otherwise it will screen tear too. Compton is the first thing I install when I install openbox.
>>
>>54207734
the computer im getting has two seperate 2 TB HDD's so id figure id just leave W10 or 7 on one and unbuntu on the other.
>>
>>54207723
do only black and mixed people use opensuse or what
>>
File: everyonegetsraped.jpg (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
everyonegetsraped.jpg
47 KB, 300x300
>>54207767
>just leave W10 or 7 on one and unbuntu on the other.
>>
>>54207767
and kunbuntu looks like the bastardchild of OSX
>>
>>54206973
1. Having more control over your own machine.
2. Denying control of your machine to others.
3. Great for learning.

As for everyone commenting how Linux users are pretending to be 1337 h4xx0rz... it just shows how lame they really are.
If you learn some shell commands, a scripting language and get familiar with some protocols, you are a computer wizard compared to your typical wincuck. "Hacking" is not that hard and it's all about, as RMS said, "playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not".
>>
>>54207791
oh right, if i mention W10 the /g/ lynch mobs have there jimmies rustled.
>>
>>54207803
>OSX
You have experience in that area, namefriend?
>>
>>54206973
The Microsoft corporation are a very corrupt industry. It's open knowledge that they work with the NSA to monitor their users computers. Microsoft gave the NSA permission to install a beckdoor in all windows operating systems, this begun back in 1999. People who support freedom and oppose fuckery tend to use Linux. If you are interested in programming or penetration testing Linux is a big bonus, but do not think this is the operating systems only use, there are many Linux distros available today that are great for everyday general computing.. I use ubuntu for this side of things.
>>
>>54207806
ah, im not versed in a coding language...
>>
>>54207822
no, but my mom is getting into apple stuff, and when i mention to her that is overpriced she says "not if it works" . she has a macbook pro. and she says there more productive machines than a windows pc is, which is total bullshit.
>>
>>54207859
Your own mother? You should be on her case about that shit.. if not handling everything for her.

If you can't manage a windows system for a parent, you can't manage your own.
>>
>>54207859
there are: unix and unix-like pc.
>>
So, To recap.....
> linux has customiseablility up the bum
>muh hardcode shit
>muh security,
That last one is a genuine complaint
>and u get to root around with it if u know a coding language (im assuming python is one of them.)
>>
>>54206973
>Whats so good about linux?
>i am a windows user and i don't see all the fanfare behind linux and its many flavors. what merits does it have over windows? or is it just overhyped because its a coders paradise? i am
>interested in trying it btw.

Well first of all it's light weight compared to windows and gives you more freedom to use the resources that your computer has. For example a machine with i7 prosessor can encode some video formats faster on same settings if you use same program on Linux instead of Windows. (H264 or HEVC)

Linux does not usually slow down if you use it long time because the register system is not complete crap implementation as it is in every NT based windows.

It gives you power to do what ever you want but you have to take responsibility if you fuck up something. It doesn't hold your hand and tell you what to do. With freedom comes responsibility.

You do not generally need paid anti-virus or firewall solutions as you would in windows.

You can get better drivers to run some devices but some things are still better supported on windows.

The list will go on forever so just google the rest.
>>
>>54207909
she abandoned her own poor dell notebook......

RIP dell XPS. u were great for skyrim.....
>>
>>54207930
linux is much more content with the programs and allows the much flexibler data exchange with dbus, piping and file descriptors. and it's better than nt for other reasons
>>
>>54207930
Abandon it. Linux isn't an OS. It's a secret club for people who need things to be complicated.

If these things weren't complicated, then these people would feel like it wasn't an exclusive thing for "intelligent" folks.
>>
>>54206973
There are times when you just need a good, reliable and stable software because you have a deadline for your work/project. And this is why Linux won't do.
>>
>>54206973

On GNU/Linux:
>download disc image from official site
>burn to LiveCD/USB
>boot it (may have to change boot sequence)
>Do you wanna try or install? Click install
>click next
>default partition schem... click next, everything is done for you
>region and.... click next
>next, next, install, wait, done, reboot
>All hardware is recognized and working 90% of the time
>All software you can imagine is virus-free and available from your package manager.
>enjoy the true computing experience.

On Winbugs:
>Search the pirate bay
>download
>burn
>boot
>painful installation process
>manual partitioning
>format drive (like Windows has many filesystems to choose from)
>enter user credentials
>activation key dialogue, click on "remind me later"
>install, wait, reboot
>configuring desktop, wait
>welcome to the Microsoft guided visit and marketing brainwashing....
>service pack (NSA backdoor) needs to be installed, wait even more
>reboot
>nothing werks, no webcam, no GPU, no WiFi, no speakers, no SD card reader
>good luck searching the web for drivers
>reboot
>malware everywhere
>install antivirus
>reboot
>20 GiB full of bloatware
>0 open apps, half the CPU and RAM in use
>activation key
>activation key
>activation key
>>
>>54207951
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>54207838
Neither was I when I made the switch ages ago. My primary reason for switching was learning more about computers and programming, though.
Why are you interested in GNU/Linux in the first place? I never tried to convert people if they're content with Wangblows.
Although, I notice a lot of people feel like they don't have a choice anymore when faced with Windows10 disaster.

>>54207971
You sound like you never even tried to use it.
It's great even for tech illiterate people, since it can be customized for them never to fuck up anything and they will still be able to do their daily computer tasks.
>>
>>54208068
i do have a USB i could slap unbuntu onto.
>>
>>54208078
just asking, but is there a good app that can clean out bloatware?
>>
>>54208158
Kubuntu
>>
>>54208078
>You sound like you never even tried to use it.
Oh but I have. Several times. If the disk image was accurate enough to put the OS on the disk, then everything else didn't work. Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Puppy, Peppermint, whatever.

It's all half baked shit. The dev community is too divided to actually put something user friendly and functional together. That's why Linux will never be an OS for the real world.
>>
>>54208196
Better version?
>>
It's free
It's less load
It's free
It's not botnet 10
>>
>>54208213
Very
>>
>>54208220
speaking of botnet ten i need to scrup this HDD i have out with bleach and put Windows 7 on it.
>>
>>54208266
>scrup
?
>>
>>54208280
scrub, i ment to say.
>>
>>54207806
>Having more control over your own machine.
This is the main reason I use it. Windows fucked it up with the last two versions and the only reason I ever used it was AutoCAD and Warcraft III.
>>
>>54208295
Bleachbit.
>>
>>54208295
that a program? if so where can i get it without a virus?
>>
>>54208347
Google it. Get it from the source.
>>
>>54208379
mmmk.
>>
>>54208396
There you are, child. https://www.bleachbit.org/
>>
>>54208421
kk. brb, going to run it and revert my PC back to windows 7.
>>
>>54206973
If you're not a freetard there's no reason to use it. You can develop on any platform, even a toaster running NetBSD with some kind of compiler.
>>
>Freedom
Everything's open source, with the exception of RHEL.
>Power
The integrated experience of typing behind the console is priceless.
>Skill
After using UNIX and GNU/Linux for over ten years now I generally have more experience than a lot of IT and network professionals.
>>
>>54208535
>with the exception of RHEL.

RHEL is open source you fucking fag.
>>
>>54206973
the tl;dr is
faster
more secure
you can do whatever you want with it
choice
free as in freedom
Also free as in free beer
support
Run well whatever your machine
Actually know how to manage your ram
No fragmentation
==> no retarded file system
good rights management
good user management
no registery
you actually know what the fuck is going on in your machine
you can fix it if it goes wrong
you're not gonna have to reboot your machine after every updates
there's a fucking package manager that permits you to have all your softwares up to date.
etc.

But whatever the number of arguments against ms or apple, whatever our arguments for linux, retard from /v/ won't understand and will just try to make fun of us, without thinking how much performance improvement they could get on their fucking games if devs and hw manufacturers supported linux properly.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.