[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>why >do >people >use >this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: why.jpg (122 KB, 1338x1600) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
122 KB, 1338x1600
>why
>do
>people
>use
>this
>>
>support
>>
>>54181107
Integrates with other MS software. A lot of companies like the idea of one company providing all their software. "One throat to choke" is the management buzzword, meaning that instead of vendor A blaming vendor B and vendor B blaming vendor A, you have one organization that's responsible if something fucks up.

also keep in mind that in business, the guy buying the software (IT management, a procurement team), the guy using the software (front-line IT and all the users in other departments), and the guys paying for the software (Accounting dept, who're responsible to owners/shareholders) are all different people who want different things - this is behind a lot of how fucked up corporate IT is.
>>
>>54181107
Active directory
Wsus server
>>
Because it supports ASP.NET, MS SQL Server and Exchange. Also provides Active Directory support for Windows-based workplaces.
>>
>>54181168
>Active directory
samba
>Wsus server
sharing package files or serving your own internal repository is very simple to do in linux
>>
>>54181107
>>54181187
Stable releases and support, also software standard and integration streamlines things. Face it, MS does enterprise sw right.
>>
It's Windows
That's a + and -
>>
>>54181187
>samba

You've never supported a business that wasn't made up of /g/ users, clearly.
>>
>>54181107
RemoteApps
Remote Desktop Gateway
Used for many business applications
>>
Having a GUI is pretty nice sometimes. I was showing some guy from our Chinese branch how to do some stuff on a Windows server and he had only used command line CentOS up until that point, and he was like "oh, so easy" and stuff.

It's not like you're losing a ton of processing power by using it. I wouldn't use it in a VM cluster, but I'd use it for certain utilities no question.
>>
File: 1381827456632.jpg (149 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1381827456632.jpg
149 KB, 720x480
>>54181187

>>Active directory
>samba
>>
File: tumblr_lxidlnEPi01qijcmj.png (246 KB, 470x355) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lxidlnEPi01qijcmj.png
246 KB, 470x355
>>54181245
>>54181187
>>54181271

>be back in highschool
>high school was in rich neighborhood, had CS into series of classes
>eventually become teachers star student
>handle most low end AD server issues
>"I put in the wrong password too many times anon my account locked itself out :(((("
>fix is pretty easy

>one day cleaning out closest of old PC parts and shit
>find old HP blade server
>fire it up
>its the school's old log on server
>has samba
>Teacher is linux wiz, ask him why we switched from samba to AD
>gives me death stare and tells me he doesn't want to talk about
>>
Why would you make life difficult by hacking together some freetard shit when Windows Server just werks?
>>
If you have a bunch of Windows clients it just integrates very well. Also the truth is that most people working in IT administration have absolutely no idea what they are doing and are too lazy to read a bit of documentation so using Windows is a way to make things work.
>>
because some of us have jobs.
>>
>>54181107
AD
Group policy
Exchange
WSUS
HYPER-V
>>
>Pajeets
that is all
>>
>>54181107
Windows is the operating system all blue collar business owners go to. It's all they know, so why make a change?
>>
monopolistic practices in the 90's.
>>
Native Active Directory is pretty damn hard to beat, for one.

Business does not care for your shitty meme OS that employees with no serious commitment to computers don't want to be arsed to learn how to struggle to use.

For tightly managed cubicles upon cubicles of workstations, Windows software is the industry standard. (Unless you're working in art or lighter web/app design or development - then it's OSX.)
>>
>>54181107
I'm a sysadmin, migrating these old CentOS servers to current technology, Windows Server
>>
>>54181470
Same. We use active directory and all the office365 shit for most things, use cent os for a sip truncation server that's about it. (small telecom)
>>
>>54181470
>>54181505
How does it feels like being employed and more successful than I will ever be
>>
File: get_the_fuck_out.png (35 KB, 353x234) Image search: [Google]
get_the_fuck_out.png
35 KB, 353x234
There is literally nothing wrong with samba.
Fucking nerds.
>>
>>54181454
b-b-but muh loonex!
>>
>>54181686
Samba is okay. But it doesn't beat native Active Directory.
>>
>>54181454
People keep regurgitating this meme, but nobody can explain exactly what makes AD better then Linux alternatives. Can you tell me what AD does that I can't do with LDAP+chef/puppet/SSH?
>>
>>54183813
you dont have to use all those?

right click, add user. simple
>>
because it's licensed and made by a big company and expensive = quality, goyim
>>
>>54183829
That's it? The whole muh AD argument is based around it having a gui?
>>
>>54183829
'simple' means not knowing the magic spell words, which when casted make computer do magic trickery to confound peasantry

'simple' means you're just a neety sad sack who knows what regedit is and how to use Spybot Search and Destroy to make your racist uncle's Walmart laptop work again, instead of LINUX WIZARD
>>
File: 1436970051987.png (194 KB, 580x922) Image search: [Google]
1436970051987.png
194 KB, 580x922
the actual, real world outside of your basement is nothing like /g/. Nobody cares about stupid anime software such as Linux.
>>
>>54183813
You freetards are very, very delusional. No, I'm not going to waste time explaining anything to someone that thinks he can replace AD with fucking chef and SSH.
>>
>>54183861
fuck off neet

>>54183845
yes, pretty much all of windows has a gui unless you are using server core

if youre using the minimal user interface you can use the powershell cmdlet new-ADuser
>>
File: laughingwhores.jpg (42 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughingwhores.jpg
42 KB, 446x400
>>54183870
>Email
>aaron.archlinux.org
can't make that shit up
>>
>>54183870
Pretty much this.

Tons of businesses run windows servers including one where I work, plus all the customers we have.
>>
File: 1456357763889.jpg (80 KB, 736x1108) Image search: [Google]
1456357763889.jpg
80 KB, 736x1108
>>54183890
>i-i-it's just better!
As usual, no real explanation. Somehow I'm not surprised.
>>
>>54183870
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a completely functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU core libraries, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. By a peculiar series of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is really the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is really GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
SharePoint.
>>
File: aBY45qz_460sv.webm (466 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
aBY45qz_460sv.webm
466 KB, 290x324
>>54181107

I use it because I have a free university license and it's fucking comfy mainly because of

>hyper-v
>storage spaces

I am even doing mix&match on storage spaces with internal SATA (SSD), eSATA and USB3.0 disks in one pool with no hiccups. On a laptop.
Even if I accidently jank out a drive.

If I didn't have a license, I'd probably go for Ubuntu, Fedora or CentOS, using a mix of QEMU and docker.
>>
>>54184016
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
Linux takes a higher IQ to use making it a bad option for anything other than science.

With Windows you only need an IQ of 70 making almost the entire population about to use it.
>>
>>54181357
>hyperV
LeL...
VMware, it's the best option for virtualization, no matter what os you are using...
>>
>>54181107
Because it works, and your shitty Linux OS's aren't ideal for enterprise environments.
>>
>>54181149
>>54181168
>>54181181
>>54181187
UCS can do AD easily. You don't need Windows Server desu. Univention has a linux distro for the job, better than lets say Zentyal or ClearOS. I've been actively looking for alternatives and solutions, because I want to start for myself.
>>
>>54185124
Unix-based OS(es) like AiX and HP-UX are the most used in enterprise world
>>
>>54185105
To bad businesses aren't willing to fork out the ridiculous VMware licensing fees any more.
>>
is there any advantage to installing this on a new desktop machine?
>>
>>54185186
OK, this is a problem for medium/small size business... If you are a big company you gotta have something that actually works and can do whatever you want it to do, hence VMware...
>>
>>54185155

Except they aren't.
>>
>>54185226
Apart from big businesses jumped on the Azure band wagon so hard Vmware announced the death of vsphere last year.
>>
I'm a linux/windows sysadmin and I run both rhel server and server2012r2, come at me brah.
>>
>>54185246
LOL, you have never worked for a big company, have't you?
>>
>>54185226
>something that actually works
Literally every virtualization I've tried works. Xen/Citrix/proxmox, vmware esxi/vsphere/workstation/player, virtualbox, hyper v, etc
Dont have a sinle reason to choose vmware out of the bunch
>>
>>54185221
No
>>
Majority of businesses do not see I.T as an investment, but as a liability. So the last thing they need is for their profits to be shrunk down to pay for nerds with different opinions about what is better, when what the business needs is something much more scalable and commercially supported. Businesses want things done yesterday, so to say to a boss that a system they wish to roll out will not work in their system because of the cross platform fuckfest that has been implemented is not compatible, they will fire your ass and tear it all down and start again. The name of the game is profits UP costs DOWN.
>>
>>54181107
because they don't know how to use unix/linux etc.
>>
Because 2012r2 works great. I have over 1000 of them at work.

Nothing screams 'I am a child trying to fit in on /g/' than people thinking everything runs linux in enterprise.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.