[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to use Linux but I need office. Libreoffice is NOT an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: anime question girl.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
anime question girl.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
I want to use Linux but I need office.

Libreoffice is NOT an option, I need muh macro enabled documents

wat do
>>
>>54175703
nothing. take the fail grade, bitch at the instructor and move on.
>>
File: 1456591335591.jpg (1 MB, 1688x2535) Image search: [Google]
1456591335591.jpg
1 MB, 1688x2535
>>54175703
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free part of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system constantly, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by GNU developers.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54175703
>virtual machines
>WINE
>dual-booting
>in that order

VMs are the way to go imo. They can be tedious and time consuming to setup and get working like you want, but so can WINE. The difference is that once you get your VM setup like you want, then the hard part is behind you. With WINE once you get one piece of software working satisfactorily, it's more or less just good for that particular software, and the setup could get broken if you upgrade that software or the software your using to run it.

Dual booting will be the easiest to get setup, but it's a hassle to switch back and forth between OSes when you actually need to use them both simultaneously. Most likely you'd use Linux for a few hours, or maybe a day or two, but once you reboot into Windows you'll find it really easy to convince yourself to just stay there since it's more familiar anyway. After a while you'll realize that your Linux partition is just wasting space since you rarely if ever use it.

That was my problem with finally making the switch to Linux. I told myself that I'd dual boot until I learned Linux enough to be comfortable in it, and then I'd just use Windows for gaming. But with Windows still an easy option, I found that I didn't bother learning my way around Linux. I'd hit a roadblock, and rather than figure it out, I'd opt to do whatever it is I was wanting to do in Windows.

I attempted this a few times actually. Then one day I realized, hey, I'm not really interested in gaming anymore. So I installed Linux, deleted Windows, and forced myself to use Linux. Before long I felt comfortable in it, and the few times I've had to use Windows since--fixing the PCs and laptops of friends and relatives mainly--I've come to realize that it is just fucking painful to use. You won't fully appreciate how poorly Windows functions, and is designed until you've been away for a while, and then happen to use it again. You will kick yourself for not ditching it much sooner.
>>
>>54176206
This. I use Windows for ROM hacking and that's all. VMs are the best.
>>
WPS OFFICE IS BEST
>>
>>54175703
Dumb anime poster
>>
>>54175903
Lmao
>>
>>54176206
>I want to use Linux
>here use Windows instead
freetards
>>
>>54175703
check out caligra, i think it's kdecentric but I'm not sure. I"m looking at alternatives too, and so far it looks like the best option
>>
File: 1716324-15.jpg (131 KB, 568x441) Image search: [Google]
1716324-15.jpg
131 KB, 568x441
>>54176961

What do you suggest then? I mean you are clearly so full of wisdom, so please what magical alternative do you have to what I suggested, that still meets his requirement? I covered the only practical solutions available to him. He can take them, or leave them. His choice.

Also, if you're going to call people freetards, at east bother to learn what the fuck they actually are like, and when it might be appropriate to use the slur. Freetards do not recommend using Windows or any proprietary software, ever. They do not recognize that there could ever exists any valid need to do so. You would have seemed slightly less retarded had you called me a MS shill instead, and maybe accused me of being a dot-head--bonus points if you could inject some anti-Semitism in there too, faggot.
>>
>>54177558
sounds like he touched a nerve bruh, chill down, it's all good
>>
>>54176594
this

People don't seem to post about it that often for some reason.
>>
>>54177594
isn't wps really just kingsoft though? not that thats's a bad thing
>>
>>54177558
u mad bro? u mad bro?
>>
>>54177607
It's just been renamed so yeah
>>
>>54175703
You can use a virtual machine, WINE, or dual-boot Linux and Windows and have Microsoft Office on the Windows partition. Besides that there isn't much else you can do.
>>
File: cap.png (164 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
164 KB, 1680x1050
>>
>>54177558
i suggest not being a fucking conformist nanny and just using Windows, instead of desperately trying to latch on to Linux just because every neet on /g/ is doing it and then jumping through hoops to get as much Windows compatibility back as possible
>>
>>54176979
LibreOffice is objectively better than Kalligra.
>>
>>54177991
yeah but caligra is closer to sounding like caligula so it wins by default
>>
File: suplex.gif (978 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
suplex.gif
978 KB, 500x211
>>54177746
using Windows is the epitome of conformism you fucking downie applesauce
>>
>>54178304
>conforming to a group of nonconformists isn't conforming at all
>>
>>54175703
Use Office 365.
Use a Virtual Machine.
Use WINE.
>>
>>54178304
>using something because it does what one needs effectively is conformism
freetard logic
>>
File: 1380487216991.gif (1004 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1380487216991.gif
1004 KB, 360x360
>>54177746

OOOH! Sorry sir, I didn't realize that I was dealing with a non-comformist here.

> just using Windows

Which I covered. Twice. VMs, and dual booting are exactly so people can do just that. If it's ok with you anyway. I probably should have told him to consult with you first, or else you might end up thinking that he's a conformist. Maybe not a full-conformist, but a semi-conformist instead, since he would still be using Windows sometimes. A thousand apologies, home boy.
>>
>>54175703
or just use google docs and save it as .docx
>>
>>54175903
You can run Linux without GNU (Alpine) but GNU (Hurd) without Linux is a fucking joke.
>>
there you go op

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/
>>
File: Bearsuit.png (157 KB, 544x470) Image search: [Google]
Bearsuit.png
157 KB, 544x470
>>54176621
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: 127331.jpg (40 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
127331.jpg
40 KB, 225x350
>>54175703
Stay in windows anon
>>
does wine work running office?
>>
>>54175703
there's office online
>>
>>54175703
Most places I know are dropping MS Office for Google Docs, which are all cloud-based.
>>
>>54178349
>>54178830
>samefag

You haven't demonstrated how anyone here is conforming to shit. You should probably just keep dodge dodging, and instead tell us about how we're all judgemental, mean, and shallow, and just don't understand your forsaken, tormented, and twisted soul. You'll also likely want to share some of your dark, and brooding poetry, because in your mind it's somehow relevant, and of interest to anyone else. Maybe one about how parents, teachers, and everyone else suck, and that's why you cut yourself with your mom's pink safety razors. You may only be 15, but your soul is old, and weathered by the harsh realities of a cold, cruel world that seeks only to tear you down, and make you bleed, for daring to be an individual. Hey look, they're playing your song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clJuSoVmpRs
>>
>>54175703
Then don't use Windows you retard. Why do you want to make everything more complicated for yourself?
>>
WPS office is a perfect MS O clone.
>>
>>54179288
Hurd is not the only non-Linux kernel that works with GNU. Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is one example.
>>
>>54176206
What distro are you using right now?
>>
WHy don't none of you fagots with infinite free time install windows 10 inside virtual machine - install office, debloat it do the necessary tweaks, optimizations - then upload your image here .. saving lots of people time.
>>
>>54182180
SHit first time I hear about that, and it looks not only promising.. it looks amazing - why wasn't this shilled before?
>>
>>54176594
>>54182180
Nope, WPS is slow as balls with any low complexity excel work, you make a hundred formula book and you will meet hell on earth trying to work with it
>>
People reported to have office working trough wine, why don't use it?
Or you could set up office 2016 seamlessly trough windows virtual box trough a snap of windows already booted.

But wine might work faster and better.
>>
File: 1449799388996.jpg (177 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
1449799388996.jpg
177 KB, 800x820
>>54175703

>install windows on a virtual machine
>install office

Profit!
>>
Grow up from Linux and just use Windows.
>>
on wine/playonlinux office 2007 works just fine
>>
>>54176206
I hopped off windows during 7, but what do you mean by "painful to use" on other people's computers? Are you talking about viruses, drivers?
>>
>>54183332
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system routinely, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by GNU.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it is only operational in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is commonly used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added on, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54178304
Fire up a few of those braincells and think about the meaning of conformism, and the board you're on.
>>
>>54175703
Run Office in a virtual machine using seamless mode.
>>
The main problem with using wine is that it's usually behind on compatibility (e.g. Office 365 is not supported yet) while academic institutions mostly provide access only to the latest versions.
>>
>>54175703
Come on, /g/ how new are you?

WPS office.
>>
>>54183507
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>54177746
What if you want to use Linux because... get this... it's better.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.