[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what has open source freedums actually done well? Where it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: AP136495600390.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
AP136495600390.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1280
So what has open source freedums actually done well? Where it's actually good and not just a "free alternative", like gimp to photoshop.

I know Linux servers are used for superior stability and lower CPU load
>>
>>53949858
firefox, even though it's gone to shit lately
>>
File: 1448310561545.png (284 KB, 585x400) Image search: [Google]
1448310561545.png
284 KB, 585x400
Compilers.
Webkit/Blink
OpenCL
LVM
MPV
Filezilla
Handbrake
Virtualbox
Blender
Krita
Docker
Open Stack

There is more than media creation, just becasue the vocal liberal arts faggots cry about muh adobe doesn't mean there are the only worthwile software.
>>
>>53950211
>Blender
Blender is exactly what gimp is. Almost nobody professional uses it, clearly you're just regurgitating names.
>MPV
Simple shit like media players are mainly about taste. MPV doesn't do anything "better" compared to closed source alternatives, just different. A lot of people would hate the lacking GUI
>Handbrake
>this desperate
It just convert files. I can code a tetris clone in 20 minutes and release it open source, that doesn't mean it's "actually good", it's too basic to even be good or bad if it just does what it's supposed to.

The only viable thing you posted was OpenCL
>There is more than media creation
Yeah, I gave one example in the OP retard. Meanwhile all the shit you posted was mainly media creation.
>>
In all reality even programs like Blender and GIMP are often great and can do most things as well as their paid alternatives, but stupid 'art' majors are only taught how to use key combinations in adobe programs do get desired results. Take a short photoshop class at a community college sometime and try doing all of the assignments in GIMP. It'll be harder because there are less guides, but you'll achieve desired results.
>>
>>53950607
>Blender is gimp
>no one professional uses it
Just kill yourself already.
>>
>>53950607
>Blender is exactly what gimp is. Almost nobody professional uses it, clearly you're just regurgitating names.
Yea, sure, no one in Hollywood does.
>>
>>53950607
>it just does what it's supposed to.
That's the definition of a good program. Features make a great program.
>>
>>53950607
>MPV doesn't do anything "better" compared to closed source alternatives

There isn't a single closed-source alternative to mpv. Proprietary media players are at worst malware scams for retards, or at best unable to even play common common media formats.

Also it's mpv, not MPV.

>Almost nobody professional uses it, clearly you're just regurgitating names.

It's seen professional use.
>>
File: #.jpg (104 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
#.jpg
104 KB, 480x640
>Handbrake
>LibreOffice
>VirtualBox
>luks/lvm
>Anki
>>
>>53950717
>>53950740
>Almost nobody becomes nobody
What is it with freetards and needing to dumb down everything to black or white?
>>53950750
More complicated programs like SolidWorks are not "supposed" to do anything, they are a tool. There are very few good open source tools. Open source mainly does little apps where it doesn't really matter if it's good or not, as long as all your BMP vacation photos are now JPG
>>
File: 1446650071488.png (92 KB, 463x469) Image search: [Google]
1446650071488.png
92 KB, 463x469
>>53950821
>mpv
>VLC
>Audacity
>Texmaker
>Mumble
>Shattered Pixel Dungeon
>Tanks of Freedom
>Ghost Commander and really most window managers on Linux
> Kiwix
>OsmAND
>>
>>53949858
Free software is fundamentally entrenched in the industry. Berkeley sockets, zlib, apache, json.net, openjdk, spring, boost, qt, samba, openssh, etc. are all best-in-class. The programs that actually matter, the ones that are more important than some retard middle manager's spreadsheet, are all free.

But idiots like vendors, so idiots buy (license) software from proprietary vendors with pretty logos and shitty ribbons.
>>
There isn't a single closed-source alternative to mpv.
Yes there is
>It's seen professional use.
see >>53950834

>>53950821
>>53950844
>Handbrake
Already mentioned
>LibreOffice
Same as gimp/blender already mentioned
>Audacity
I use it myself but still see above.
>>
File: 1446650238139.png (300 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446650238139.png
300 KB, 500x500
>>53950821
>>53950844
>Retroarch
>Overchan
>Twidere
>Deluge and rTorrent
>Calibre
>PCSX2 and Dolphin
>7zip
>openwrt
Do I really need to go on?
>>
>>53950834
>>Almost nobody becomes nobody
1. Hollywood does not make up the entire planet
2. You're still an idiot
>>
>>53950898
>Do I really need to go on?
No, you're just regurgitating names of whatever happens to be open source. None of them are relevant
>>
>>53950834
So really you're only picking on FOSS's lack or inequality of digital creation software?

Besides digital creation software and video games, FOSS is equal or better than proprietary alternatives in almost every single category.

Web browsers? Text editors? Compilers? Web servers? Database systems? Media players? Emulators? File Managers? Shells and terminal emulators? Image viewers? IRC clients? Torrent Clients? etc. etc. etc. FOSS is all better or the only option.
>>
>>53950834
>programs like SolidWorks
SolidWorks is definitely supposed to do something, it wasn't designed to aimlessly consume system resources.
>>
>>53950920
>7zip
>not relevant
Whew lad
>>
>>53950883
>LibreOffice
>Same as gimp/blender already mentioned
Yup, that's why Photoshop is the same as Microsoft Word.
>>
>>53950906
>1. Hollywood does not make up the entire planet
How fucking retarded are you? My entire point was that you're over simplifying shit like freetards always do, and somehow you got that to mean I'm doing the same thing I'm criticizing you for
>>53950935
see >>53950607 regarding MPV and handbrake
>>53950943
It's the same as in
>just a "free alternative", like gimp to photoshop.
retard
>>
>>53950967
>My entire point was that you're over simplifying shit
Sounds like you're the one over-simplifying.
>>
>>53950920
And you seem to be ignoring 90% of the projects I've listed. Some of them are by far the most widely used in their respective field (rtorrent & deluge vs their non-free alternatives), others are highly relevant in the commercial world (7zip, blender, VLC).
Why are you for example ignoring Kiwix? Arguably the most important project in spreading knowledge to development countries. Holy shit I even mentioned projects like Anki that don't even have a serious non-free alternative. Why are you cherrypicking so much?
>>
>>53950967
>It's the same as in
>>just a "free alternative", like gimp to photoshop.
>retard
Being this butthurt.
>>
>>53949858
Krita
Vlc
GCC
Ffmpeg
Qt
Numerous torrent clients
Numerous irc clients
Filesystems

Also
>>53950967
>7zip only does exactly what it's supposed to, supporting 10x the formats and compression ratios of its nearest competitor, closed or otherwise, in less RAM, and with faster compression speeds.
I mean, if that's not better, then I don't know what your definition of better is. Compression is an important task in any content sharing workflow, and 7zip does it objectively best.
>>
>>53951009
He's not trying to debate anything, just being an asshat.
>>
>>53950683
>can do most things as well as their paid alternatives
That was the entire point. It's "just a "free alternative". Not something you prefer over the other
>>53950815
>There isn't a single closed-source alternative to mpv.
Yes there is
>It's seen professional use.
Did I say it hasn't? Read again
>>53950860
>The programs that actually matter are all free.
Oh, like the shipping terminal systems responsible for billions of dollars every day?
Like GPS?
Like your online bank you trust with your own money?
Like your online credit card trust with your own money?
Like basically ANYTHING you trust with your own money?
Like CAD/FEM responsible for making sure bridges don't collapse?
Like the nuculear powerplant governance?
Like googles search algorithms?
>>
>>53951035
And vlc is not even the best. It's just objectively better than every single nonfree competitor
>>
>>53951053
>>The programs that actually matter are all free.
>Oh, like the shipping terminal systems responsible for billions of dollars every day?
>Like GPS?
>Like your online bank you trust with your own money?
>Like your online credit card trust with your own money?
>Like basically ANYTHING you trust with your own money?
>Like CAD/FEM responsible for making sure bridges don't collapse?
>Like the nuculear powerplant governance?
>Like googles search algorithms?

>Names a bunch of in-house software not accessible commercially
What point were you trying to make here?
>>
>>53950967
>It's the same as in
>just a "free alternative", like gimp to photoshop.

>>53951053
>That was the entire point. It's "just a "free alternative". Not something you prefer over the other

That's just like youre opinion, man.
I work in a top tier law firm with 1b USD annual revenue and we are using LibreOffice. Why do you think that is? Just because it's free as in free beer? No, because it offers functionality that our business values over comparable Microsoft products. I know you must hate it when reality conflicts with your projections but different people have different needs. And sometimes feature x in a FOSS application is more important than feature y from a proprietary application.
>>
7-zip (better than winrar)
darwin, the core of os x
virtually all browsers
>>
>>53949858
those who know don't say. those who say don't know. retards are very vocal about things they have a cursory understanding of.
>>
>>53951053
All of your "important" all rely on free software to even work.

Embedded controllers are all programmed by free compilers. GPS has free implementations everywhere, and there is no real alternative to the scope of openstreetmap. Online banking relies on ssl, java, spring, zlib, maven, ant, and hundreds of other free components to even begin to work. And that's just the bank's side. Your browser is another component of a fully functioning free software economy.
Nuke plants will require thorough trust from RTU vendors, many of witch are heavily regulated by the Fed and thus effectively free to the nuke plant owners.
>>
>>53951053
>Yes there is

Name one.

They probably use Linux with a lot of FOSS You think banks use nothing but Microsoft Windows with only proprietary software?

>Like googles search algorithms?

This is in-house software.

What you seem to be saying is that FOSS is not used in very important (life-critical) systems. I don't think you realize just how much it is used in big industries. The US militray uses Redhat Linux, there is Linux running in tanks. Almost every supercomputer uses Linux. Pixar has 3D render farms using Linux. IBM Watson runs on Linux, etc.

You picked a very stupid subject.
>>
>>53950924
>inequality of digital creation software?
see bottom >>53950607
>FOSS is equal or better than proprietary alternatives in almost every single category.
Absolutely not, see bottom >>53951053
Over that you mention a bunch of consumer shit which I've already responded to.
>>53950928
You know someone's lost the argument when they have to resort to arguing semantics
>>53951009
>And you seem to be ignoring 90% of the projects I've listed.
Because I've responded to similar projects already.
>Why are you cherrypicking so much?
Because you post a list of just names, half of which doesn't even fit the thread. You can't expect me to spend time on each entry.
>>
the first thing you install on any commercial unix is GNU tools. since like two decades.
>>
File: 1452901231989.png (357 KB, 397x402) Image search: [Google]
1452901231989.png
357 KB, 397x402
>>53951170
>Because you post a list of just names, half of which doesn't even fit the thread. You can't expect me to spend time on each entry.
What? Nowhere in this thread have you responded to anything similar to the three below:

>Anki
>Only relevant SRS out there, used by thousands of students, in schools and unis
>FOSS

>KIWIX (or heck, even mediawiki/wikipedia)
>Extremely relevant for the spread of knowledge worldwide, in prisons and in remote areas with no broadband
>FOSS

>rtorrent and deluge (not to mention the torrent protocol lel)
>used in virtually every seedbox in the world, makes up a majority of torrent swarms, vastly superior to all non-free alternatives in literally every way imaginable
>FOSS

Checkmate, go hang yourself
>>
>>53951086
>Names a bunch of in-house software not accessible commercially
The only in house i mentioned was google retard.
0/10
>>53951141
>All of your "important" all rely on free software to even work.
And all of your free software rely on proprietary cpu architectures to even work, half of it relies on a proprietary OS on top of that. I don't see your point.
>>53951150
see above. Integrating some FOSS doesn't make everything FOSS retard.
nuculear powerplant governance is NOT in-house. Siemes makes a lot of systems and software used world wide for example
>there is Linux running in tanks
As a platform for the programs that actually matter, which are proprietary and even classified
>Pixar has 3D render farms using Linux
As a platform for the programs that actually matter (like renderman) which are proprietary
>IBM Watson
Is properitary
>>
>>53951170
Each of your "rebuttals" are either incorrect or making metaphorical comparisons that make no sense or are so generic as to be useless. Every reply to you has shown an enumerated list of best-in-class software even to the point of being fundamental to the economy as a whole, and you still continue to be obstinate that because Photoshop is better than gimp, everything else must be the same. You are factually incorrect as demonstrated by >>53950211, >>53950815, >>53950821, >>53950844, >>53950860
>>53950898, >>53950924, >>53950935, >>53951009, >>53951035, >>53951062, >>53951088, >>53951120, >>53951141, >>53951150, >>53951183, >>53951248
>>
>>53951272
>confusing hardware and software
Whew lad
>>
>>53951300
It was just exemplifying that your point that "hurr durr it relies on FOSS therefore FOSS is more important" is retarded. Name a single FOSS doing important shit like that that doesn't rely on proprietary software.
>>
File: IMG_20160409_121021.jpg (29 KB, 480x348) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160409_121021.jpg
29 KB, 480x348
>>53950607
Hey retard, you forgot to address compilers, Webkit, OpenCL, LVM, Filezilla, Virtualbox, Docker, and OpenStack.

Please fucking die.
>>
>>53951340
Berkeley sockets, GCC, vlc, transmission, qt, etc. The list is enormous and you continue to be wrong.

It's okay to be wrong sometimes, but only if you use it as an opportunity to stop being wrong and modify your thoughts and ideas to be factually correct, that way you can create logically consistent and factually correct opinions.
>>
>>53951377
>Berkeley sockets
Okay, that's one thing. Why didn't you use that as an example instead of just spewing out whatever FOSS came to your mind in a list?
>GCC
Very few use it over visual basic for example. It's very contained to the linux bubble, similar to the "in-house software" you critiqued me for using
>vlc, transmission, qt
downloading batman VS superman is maybe important to you, but not to society. I've already responded to simple consumer apps
>>
>>53951375
No, read the thread retard
>>
File: 1452302113251.gif (3 MB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
1452302113251.gif
3 MB, 190x190
>>53951488
>downloading batman VS superman is maybe important to you, but not to society. I've already responded to simple consumer apps
holy shit this nigger
>>
>>53951549
I take it you've run out of arguments
>>
>>53951488
Sockets was mentioned here >>53950860
GCC is far more used than you can even imagine you shitstain.
Qt is the embedded GUI leader by an unbeatable margin.
Vlc is how most people actually use the videos they record for work due to its playback features.
>>
>>53951570
>Sockets was mentioned here >>53950860
Well yeah:
>Why didn't you use that as an example instead of just spewing out whatever FOSS came to your mind in a list? You seem to think this whole thing is about "HURR PROVE OP WRONG" When I'm asking for actual examples
>>
GCC
Webkit
OpenCl
Vulkan
lvm
KVM/XEN
MAME
PCem
7zip
Filesystems
>>
>>53951682
read before posting retard
>>
>>53951709
Eh? GCC has done well, Webkit has successfully accomplished an open source chain of browsers, Vulkan is staring to become decent, MAME is now using a free software license and 7zip has done well for me in the past.

What did I trigger out of you, faggot?
>>
Free software is fucking shit! Nothing will ever surpass Internet Explorer as the best web browser!
>freetards on suicide watch
>>
>>53951753
>What did I trigger out of you, faggot?
It's common practice to read before you post so you don't shit up the thread with stuff that's already been said
>>
>>53951629
While I understand the allure of arguing from a corner, you are simply objectively demonstrably wrong in all your rebuttals and opinions.

I DID give you examples where free software was "more than just an alternative" and how it has allowed a massive economy to grow up around it. You simply poopooed it since "visual basic" is somehow even in the same class of software as GCC.

Stop cherry picking and go away.
>>
>>53951488
You're actually brain dead. Very few people use Visual anything for programming outside the tiny Windows development bubble. Nobody uses Windows to develop anything serious.

You should quit now before everything thinks you're completely retarded - oh wait.
>>
>>53951811
one can only tolerate the thoughts of a moron for a few seconds so you can't blame him for not reading it entirely
>>
>>53951847
>I DID give you examples
no you
>just spewed out whatever FOSS came to your mind in a list.
If you didn't have the HURR PROVE OP WRONG" -mindset, you could have written 2-3 paragraphs about GCC or Berkely sockets and I would have said "thank you for the info".
>>
>>53952117
I have no intention of writing paragraphs of information on subjects already covered at length on more reputable sites so that a belligerent faggot might not claim moral superiority in his argument from ignorance. Instead, I gave you a list of high quality, best-in-class software and a light description of its superiority both technically and economically and hoped you might spend your own time researching. But instead of doing your own research, you insisted on cherry picking and falsely equivocating into a 60 reply argument where you continue to spout "nuh uh" to people attempting to persuade you that your silly notions of "quality" have little merit and no logical consistency.

So we can continue this sorry excuse of a discussion where myself and 13 other posters attempt to show you examples of industry leading free software and hope you might actually consider that free software is anything but an "alternative" while you continue to insist that somehow free software does not rule the world, OR you can admit this while thread is shit and start researching the hundreds of data points we gave you and become informed without forcing us to spoon feed you.

What will it be?
>>
>>53952288
>already covered at length on more reputable sites
then link those instead of spewing out whatever FOSS came to your mind in a list because you feel compelled to HURR PROVE OP WRONG

Also the fact that you're willing to write literal paragraphs about shitty internet arguments but NOT about actual /g/ content pretty much makes you a shitposter
>>
>>53952340
>then link those
Google for yourself, faggot.

>write literal paragraphs
I thought it was a nicely humorous reply to your complaint that I don't spoon feed you. Also, writing is fun but doing someone else's homework is not. Gfy
>>
>>53952379
>writing is fun but doing someone else's homework is not
It's still literal paragraphs about shitty internet arguments but NOT about actual /g/ content. It still makes you a shitposter.
>>
>>53952117
>If you didn't have the HURR PROVE OP WRONG" -mindset, you could have written 2-3 paragraphs about GCC or Berkely sockets and I would have said "thank you for the info".

nobody's going to write 2-3 paragraph's to a fucking troll that dismisses any valid FOSS software as
>b-but nobody REALLY uses that if they have a choice

>>53951488
>>GCC
>Very few use it over visual basic for example. It's very contained to the linux bubble

I hope you mean visual STUDIO you fucking mongoloid

and the contrary is true, very few people use visual studio (c#/.net) over gcc because it's mostly contained to the windows bubble - gcc compiles fine to osx and windows

which is why microsoft are trying to gain more of linux user's marketshare, by both open sourcing c#/.net libraries (because mono was a steaming pile of shit and prevented people from using, nevermind developing, c#/.net programs on linux) and by bringing the bash terminal to windows, so using gcc/ruby/etc isn't such a fucking nightmare on windows

>>53951340
>Name a single FOSS doing important shit like that that doesn't rely on proprietary software.

again, nobody's going to go into detail for a fucking troll whose only rebuttal is
>b-but proprietary software is useful here (even though it's built on FOSS platforms)

look, you do it here too:

>>53951272
>The only in house i mentioned was google retard.
>0/10

google is technically in-house but so is financial and nuclear data, but I'll go into that in a second

>And all of your free software rely on proprietary cpu architectures to even work, half of it relies on a proprietary OS on top of that. I don't see your point.

so you're entire argument is built on the fallacy of
>but hurr you can't foss without proprietary cpu microcode

good job retard, there's good reasons why hardware is usually proprietary despite FOSS still being beneficial for software

>nuculear powerplant governance is NOT in-house.

yes, they largely are, will explain below
>>
>>53950607
>Simple shit like media players are mainly about taste.
Ok then, so ffmpeg, used in almost everything that involves media, is open-source.
>>
>>53952411
So I take it you're choosing option 1, but shifting the argument to a meta thread. That's cool I guess. What would I need to do to show you that this entire argument could not exist without free software?
>>
>>53952430
cont.

>>53951272
>>Pixar has 3D render farms using Linux
>As a platform for the programs that actually matter (like renderman) which are proprietary

>b-but I didn't mention in house guise

>>53951053
>>The programs that actually matter are all free.
>Oh, like the shipping terminal systems responsible for billions of dollars every day?

as I said in my previous post, financial and nuclear are largely "in-house" because of the ridiculous legal requirements and restrictions placed on the software used in these institutions, it's not "technically" in-house but it may as well be if what you need to even start developing for these institutions is a team of specialised lawyers and a huge bank-roll to begin with

but sure, nuclear uses proprietary software, oh nooo :O technology primarily developed by governments tries to be proprietary, nuclear power plants also still run on fucking PDP-11's you dolt

financial software also largely runs on embedded linux or (rarely) embedded windows for more end-user approaches (POS) - using largely open source crypto libraries

>Like GPS?

again, developed by US military, no fucking surprise it's proprietary

>Like CAD/FEM responsible for making sure bridges don't collapse?

and what do you think they run to get those simulations and material data?

>b-but it's CAD that does the real work! honest mum

tl;dr fuck off with your clearly fucking bait tactics of moving the goalposts
>>
>>53949858
Most notably, FFmpeg
>>
File: ubuntu.jpg (282 KB, 620x3605) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu.jpg
282 KB, 620x3605
Anyone who actually wants to do srs computing.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.