[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag to Android?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: android-icon.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
android-icon.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
So I'm about to make the very first purchase of an Android phone. Probably a Motorola Moto E (2nd gen).

Been using a dump phone since forever (Blackberry Pearl) so I'm kind of out of touch with those shit nowadays. I mean can you /g/entlements provide me a list of must-have apps on an Android phone? And some config/twist would be nice as well

Thanks guys, please be gentle since this is my first thread on /g/. I'm from /mu/ btw.
>>
File: JqHHCHl.png (897 KB, 841x1007) Image search: [Google]
JqHHCHl.png
897 KB, 841x1007
That's a pretty shitty phone, get the zte warp elite. Probably around the same price and it has 2GB of RAM which is the sweet spot for android.

These are the basic apps I recommend:

Media:
MX Player

>File Browser:
X-plore Fila Manager

>Torrent client:
ttorrent

>4chins browser:
Clover (on f-droid)

>Download Manager:
ADM

>Archive manager:
ZArchiver

>Web Browser:
Apus (for 1GB RAM devices)
Chrome (for >1GB RAM devices)
>>
>>53933209
>zte warp elite

Thanks for the input. Too bad, I can't seem to find that model in any stores in my shitty third world country.

And oh, I didn't know that we could torrent on a phone, is it really stable? If so, I guess I can use it for seeding some of my ebooks downloaded from Bib :)

I also heard that Android 6.0 is about to come to this phone as an update, so is 1GB of RAM enough to run the OS?
>>
>>53933406
I always get shit speeds using ttorrent or any other mobile bit torrent client.

Fucking 25bits a second.
>>
>>53933406
>Thanks for the input. Too bad, I can't seem to find that model in any stores in my shitty third world country.
Hmm then it might not be the phone for you. I assumed you lived in the US (it's a US carrier locked phone). Don't get it if you don't have boost mobile where you live.

>And oh, I didn't know that we could torrent on a phone, is it really stable? If so, I guess I can use it for seeding some of my ebooks downloaded from Bib :)
Yup, just make sure to have a vpn active while doing so.

>I also heard that Android 6.0 is about to come to this phone as an update, so is 1GB of RAM enough to run the OS?
No, android was designed with multi-tasking in mind so the more RAM the better. Even with android 6.0 you will still feel lag and apps/web pages reloading on 1GB of RAM. If you don't have boost mobile where you live then I recommend you get a 2GB RAM moto G. It will be more expensive but worth it in the long run.
>>
>>53933406
I would go for Flud Torrent, myself.

If you're gonna buy that shitty moto e don't come crying when your phone is laggy and unresponsive.

Also dont download Facebook. Use a web wrapper.
>>
>>53933066
List of must have apps on android
Stock[insert app function here]

trust me i've been there done that and sooner or later you will miss the stock apps.
>>
So I read that debloating apps on Android are redundant. Does this hold any truth? I'm talking about apps like Cleanmaster or Greenify which I uninstalled after having read that.
>>
>>53933602
Yeah, I was just thinking. I'd be better off torrenting on my computer only. I was just surprised by the fact that you can do some torreting on a phone now, though imo it makes nonsense with that speed and with the capacity of memory of a phone.

>>53933678

Yeah, I do want a phone has a memory of more than 2GB, cause we're talking about Lagdroid, right? :) I know, but too bad I'm very short of money atm to afford more than that price, which makes the Moto E fit me the most. So the Moto G is a no-go for me :/

>>53933705
Can you guys recommend my something else in that range of a Motorola Moto E price?

Btw, I don't use Facebook.

>>53933743
Hmm, I had some time with some Android phone, and desu, I find most of the default apps to be boring as hell. For instance, the music player is kinda shit, no lyrics show, I mean was wondering if there were an app similar to foobar2000 run on Windows? Something like that...
>>
>>53933745
Clean Master is the bloat itself. Task killers are the same. However, greenify is not like those. Greenify does what it says and it is godgiven for low end devices running facebook and other unoptimized apps.
Reinstall greenify, you must.
Also,, if you can, de-google your android. Its worth it
>>
>>53933066
>>53933066
Get a xiaomi phone instead, better specs on the same price
>>
>>53934031
>de-google
h-how
>>
>>53934121
Which model would you recommend?
>>
>>53934205
>root device
>install an uninstaller for system apps
>uninstall everything google
>>
>>53933209
>Chrome
>not Firefox +ublock
>>
>>53934205
look at /g/ wiki
>>
>>53934004
You're going to seriously regret getting a 1GB RAM droid
app reloads are NOT fun
>>
>>53934308
OP here, good stuff, I've been using uBlock since the first day with FF. Thanks for the info, didn't know you are able to install an addon for a browser on Android.

>>53934340
It's worth mentioning that I don't play games at all, so 1GB of RAM would be enough for some basic multi-tasking (browsing, playing music, reading ebooks...)? No?
>>
I have a Moto E and for the price (about $100 and $35 a month), it does everything I need it to do. I haven't rooted it yet but if I screw it up, lose it, whatever, no big loss.
>>
>>53933209
>recommending spyware apps that require fuck you permissions
Btfo pleb
>>
>>53934424
it's still lagdroid
developers only care about their own application
apps you last launched 4 months ago will be running 24/7 in the background eating up your memory
sure, Android will automatically kill apps when memory is full
but who said that app isn't going to be something you don't want dead
>>
>>53933066
Look for at least 2gb of RAM, the diferente is huge, i have upgraded from a 1 gb 4.4 to a xiaomi redmi note 2 and i cant be happyer.
Must have apps are the ones that you feel you need, read manga?get perfect viewer, want a new launcher? Get Nova launcher, visit 4chan and dont have enough in browser? Get clover, as easy ás that
>>
Moto E is great. 4,5" screen, 2GB ram, removable microSD card, endless battery. I also like that bumper strip it has, you can knock it around and it doesn't care.

Only gripe I have with it is the lack of camera flash
>>
>>53933209
>Not PowerAmp
>Not Amaze File Manager
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.