[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gap period in my CV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1bb0252.jpg (210 KB, 893x502) Image search: [Google]
1bb0252.jpg
210 KB, 893x502
>do internship abroad, ends in october
>do a few interviews with some other companies and fly home at the end of november as my visa expires
>get hired by a services company at the end of december
>it's basically a french concept where a company hires you to work for other software companies on various assignments that can last from 1 to 3 years but you still get paid by the services company that hired you
>a good place to start and get a visa, also pays decent
>in January I do my thesis defense and get my diploma, start the lengthy visa procedure then
>3 months later the procedure is almost through and I should have my visa in the coming week
>will have to do interviews with client companies to get my first assignment
>I have done nothing since november but sit at home, fap, and work on a hobby project of mine

How do I explain the six-month gap period in my CV? Surely I can't just tell them I sat at home waiting for the visa procedure.

For some background, I am Tunisian and going to work in France, the visa procedure takes forever for Tunisians going to France. I didn't want to work for any Tunisian company in the mean-time as they all suck, pay next to nothing and try to take advantage of you as much as possible.
>>
>>53897487
Explain to them how you converted away from Islam, and studied the French culture, with the hopes of not perverting it further.
>>
>>53897550
Yes, that would work in my favor, but they will still ask about the gap period.
>>
>>53897487

So just tell them you took a breather after all you have been through.
If it's a real problem they won't invite you to an interview in the first place. They might ask you they just want to see if you can answer them like a human being. Often interviewers aren't that qualified either, they will just go through all the standard questions without knowing why they do so themselves. Chances are, they won't even listen to your answer in detail and just check the question on their babbies first interview list.
The things that matter most are whether you seem qualified enough and if they like your or not.
>>
How do you explain a 2 year gap ?
>>
>>53898521
tell them you were in a coma
>>
>>53898521

Why do you feel you have to explain that?

You work because you need money.
If you don't work you apparently don't need any.
If you look for a job you apparently need money.

If you have any qualifications you will find that many industries are starving for employees right now in pretty much any developed country as long as you are not some subhuman retard.
>>
>>53898521
you can't, just go back to uni
that's what I did
>>
Why would you need to "explain" anything? I don't understand this
>>
>>53898742
he could go postal
>>
>>53898709

Yeah right. And after finishing another 2 year degree in 4 years you will take another 2 years off. I can totally see that working out.

What helps is stop being a pussy.
You need a job. So you write applications and go there and tell them you need a job and how you are qualified for it.
No fucking around like 'hurr it's been my dream every since I was 5 to work in your company' or 'your homepage looks intredasting'.

Also consider the nature of the average HR fool. No real education, but too full of themselves. So make them feel like it's about them and they are special for extra points.
>>
lel so there's actually mods here
must be some fat HR fool wasting his time on 4ching instead of getting work done
>>
Just say you were helping the family business.
>>
>>53897487
So you worked on your thesis until January, and then you took three months off?

Doesn't sound bad at all. Especially if you can put the hobby project on your resume.
>>
I have an almost 2 year gap and dropping out of uni to explain lol
>>
>>53900944

Yeah, how do I explain two years of second year and a GPA of 2.6?
>>
So you're a nigger going to france? Lol what a meme
>>
File: uzb1ohm2bsf1cvxgdju1.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
uzb1ohm2bsf1cvxgdju1.gif
1 MB, 300x225
>>53897487
>tfw i haven't been able to find steady work since 2008
>tfw i have have 5 year gaps in employment
>tfw no one will hire me
>>
>>53900960
Simple. You became a tranny during that time.
>>
>>53900944
>>53901458
Tons of failed startups.
>>
>>53897487
Some of the replies to this post are fucking retarded. Hear me out OP.

Work on personal projects and say that you've been working on them whilst taking a breather from academia. That or say you've been on vacation, travelled a bit. Don't make extravagant lies.
>>
File: 12356823535.jpg (25 KB, 317x320) Image search: [Google]
12356823535.jpg
25 KB, 317x320
>>53901458
I explain my 1 year gap with 'Independent Consulting'. Under that heading I put all manner of buzzwords filled with projects that align with whatever the job description asked for in experience. I made up stories for each 'project' I listed and explain them rather vaguely only insofar as it would demonstrate I have 'experience' in what they're looking for. If they ask for specifics or what company it was for, I apologize and tell them that it's under a pretty strict Non-Disclosure Agreement.
>>
>>53903690
Sounds like a one way ticket to getting fucked up the ass if they figure you out
>>
>>53903690
>work on-and-off with various defense contractors
>fill in gaps on CV with "classified projects."
>>
>>53903734
How exactly would you propose they figure this out? If I claim it's under NDA, I am legally obligated not to share who the client was, or what the specific mechanics of the work was. So long as I don't make any outlandish claim of solving problems that haven't already been solved a thousand times, there is no reason for them to question it.

At worst they will want a work sample from me, in which case I can actually perform the skills I spent all that money and time going to school for instead of being turned away at the application stage.
>>
You have to explain why you werent making for your Jewish overlords for half a year you little bad goy
>>
>>53897487

As someone who's been working out of Silicon Valley since 2008, just fucking lie on your resume. That's what everyone does here.

I've interviewed hundreds of people, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people put shit on their resume they know nothing about. This just happened yesterday.

>It says here you're proficient in C++, 8 years experience. Let's start simple. Give an example of inheritance on the whiteboard please.
>Awkward silence, followed by him explaining that he doesn't know anything about inheritance.

And

>iOS engineer? Tell me more.
>Well, I own an iPhone.
>>
>>53897830

Oh right, the gap period. Well why not just explain to them how you converted away from Islam, and studied the French culture, with the hopes of not perverting it further?
>>
>>53906717
for 6 months he bloody damn well better know the entirety of french history and culture.
>>
>2 year gap on CV

Thank god I'm under 25 and british. That shit is expected these days.

Last time someone asked me about it I just said I refused to work a job that didn't interest me.
>>
>>53907844

Why do people even give a shit? What could they possibly be trying to gauge?
>>
>>53897487
Freelance nigga
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.