[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power Management in the home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: EnergyConsumptionOct20101.png (71 KB, 761x392) Image search: [Google]
EnergyConsumptionOct20101.png
71 KB, 761x392
Been going over stuff with my fiance about concerns over how much power we might consume in the home once we get a place.

I personally keep my PC and media center (40" LCD, X360, PS3, 5.1 Receiver) hooked up to the wall at all times, though not all powered at the same time. PC goes into hibernate and media center shit gets powered off.

Now, my fiance goes so far as to unplug even a printer from the wall when not being user (resetting configurations in the process I might add).
>note, don't assume this is a thread for shitting on my fiance. I love her to death and I do agree with her to a point.

My question for /g/ is, how do you go about managing power consumption where you live?

Do you turn everything off or leave stuff on? If you own a home or rent, do you notice major increases in your electric bill from any of your tech usage?

Are there any recommended solutions for being smart with how much power you use? Wattage trackers? smart timers?

I was looking at the Smart home stuff that Belkin makes. Smart lighting and power outlet usage.

Thoughts?

>I think my fiance was most concerned when I brought home a used Poweredge 2950 with 2x750W PSUs.

probably wouldn't keep that running all the time. had planned on using as a test bench to practice managing Server 2008, CentOS, or a pfsense router.
>>
Buy Nvidia instead of AMD.
>>
>>53848164
>unplugging stuff
this saves a single-digit number of watts at most, isn't what I'd call worth it.

Real servers can be gas guzzlers, but for ordinary PCs with the default power-saving stuff on in the BIOS, they don't use much power in the big scheme of things. I leave my C2Q home server running all the time. it costs about $0.30/day in electricity. If I could cut that in half with a $500 upgrade it'd take nine years before the power savings paid off the cost. That ain't worth it in my book.
>>
>>53848164
Cool , ivengot a place on my own too. And am thinking about cheaper pc bc of electricity bill.

I was thinking off those cube pc's like ibm and antec ...it are i3 or i5 ..pretty poweerfull .

What are you thoughts about it.
>>
>>53848557
English is not your first language
>>
>kwH
>>
I live in the only state of the us that gets the majority of its power from nuclear, so I don't feel bad about using a lot

My electricity bills normally are around $150-250/month
>>
>>53848164
The time it takes to plug and unplug devices wastes more money than the power those devices draw
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.