[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Survey Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: programmers.jpg (122 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
programmers.jpg
122 KB, 640x480
Tech workers of /g/:

>What's your job?
>Are you happy with your career in tech?
>Is there anything you would rather do?
>Do you get enough of the things you want from life (money, girls, work/life balance, etc)?
>>
>>53794911
go fuck yourself
>>
>What's your job?
Web developer using meme.js

I guess, I only got the job last month

Working remotely would be nice rather than going to the office every day.

>Do you get enough of the things you want from life (money, girls, work/life balance, etc)?
Money = nice, I earn more than median wage for my country which is good for an entry level position with no degree or experience.
Girls = what are these?
Work/life = spend all day looking at a screen, come home and look at a screen. I need a non-screen-related hobby.
>>
>>53794929
Why mang, why? Okay fine I'll answer it myself to give you some context
>What's your job?
I was a web dev for 18 months. I quit because it was pissing me off, now I'm NEET and wondering what the fuck to do.
At the time I was pissed off with it but maybe it's not so bad... I guess there is money in it.
I've been looking at the military, big challenge obviously but I've already practised the physical tests so at least I know how to complete that part of getting in. Maybe it's a stupid idea though. Also I often think of law, medicine, I dunno, I'm a fucking indecisive moron and have no idea how to spend my life really.
At the time, my self esteem was totally eroded - kept seeing myself as just "a loser IT guy" so didn't even try it on with girls. But now I think about it, there's TONS of geek girls out there just waiting for some hard dick... I should have realised that then, tbqh.
>>
>>53795075
Nice, what's node like? I saw a job today where they use PHP / node, I'm a Ruby guy, but the advert said don't require PHP / node knowledge if you have good experience in other things, so I might apply
>I guess, I only got the job last month
First proper job then?
>Working remotely would be nice rather than going to the office every day.
I agree that working in an office can be stifling but personally I've always preferred the idea of going into work than working from home. Firstly I want to interact with people, not just be alone, and secondly I need that work/home divide. If I worked from home I'd probably kill myself (although I guess you're not necessarily saying from home).
>Girls = what are these?
Those chicks that you try and stick your willy in
>I need a non-screen-related hobby.
Yeah I think that's essential. When I was being a web dev I was going to the gym, but it really drained me, doing another solitary activity in the evening, also inside a building away from natural light. If I get another dev job, I'm gonna get back into cycling, or I might try and get into Crossfit because my mate does it and says it's really good.
>>
>What's your job?
sw engineer @ intel
i've only been in tech for a couple of years, can't really call it a career
start a start-up
yeah, very comfy. too comfy
>>
Chef at Wendy's
>>
>>53794911
>Sysadmin
>Yes
>No
>My 2D waifu is all I need.
>>
File: goodparts.jpg (99 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
goodparts.jpg
99 KB, 1024x576
>>53795165
I unironically like Node and Javascript. Its a good language if you completely ignore and avoid 90% of it, and enforce good coding style with something like JSLint. You will have to get used to asynchronous programming as I don't think Ruby has that, also Javascript doesn't have classes, it uses prototypal inheritance, and its quite a functional language with lambdas and functions as first-class objects. There's a good lecture series by Crockford in the OP of /wdg/ which is worth watching, because if you try to do JS without actually learning it, it will bamboozle and annoy you.

>First proper job then?
First non-shitty minimum-wage job yes. But I'm enjoying it so far, small company, boss is chill, he has me working on an open source project at the moment so it's not a high-pressure environment, and he's a lot more knowledgeable than me.
>>
>>53795330
i'm with you senpai. that book is great for picking up JS for the first time. there's also Node.js In Action which is a great 2nd book. you can finish these 2 in a couple of weeks easily.
if you're into more advances JS, look into ES6 and ES7. Koa (Express's next replacement) looks very promising, especially Koa 2.0. it looks amazing, no callbacks at all.

>jslint
use eslint you faggot, this isn't 2010
>>
>What's your job?
Front-End ENGINEER
In all honesty I'm just a web dev tho.
No but it's easy money and an easy job.
Move in to UX or something music related.
Work/life balance depends on the week.
>>
>>53795196
>i've only been in tech for a couple of years, can't really call it a career
Well it's the beginning of a career I'd say
>yeah, very comfy. too comfy
So being a SW engineer is no barrier to getting girls?
>>53795253
Nice
>>53795268
>My 2D waifu is all I need.
That's sad
>>53795330
>You will have to get used to asynchronous programming as I don't think Ruby has that
I just read an SO answer to try and understand what asynch programming looks like in node (as I say I literally have no knowledge of node)
Ruby does have asynch programming through a couple of gems. I used Sidekiq at my last job. Basically you add jobs to the Sidekiq queue, then Sidekiq workers (running as separate processes) execute these jobs, which frees up the Rails process to do whatever it needs.
>Javascript doesn't have classes, it uses prototypal inheritance, and its quite a functional language with lambdas and functions as first-class objects. There's a good lecture series by Crockford in the OP of /wdg/ which is worth watching, because if you try to do JS without actually learning it, it will bamboozle and annoy you.
I'm aware of it not having classes but not of the other stuff. My usage of JS comes from making front-end stuff happen, and I'll admit I usually just bash out whatever JS works without really caring whether the code is that ugly. Maybe I should learn it properly
>First non-shitty minimum-wage job yes. But I'm enjoying it so far, small company, boss is chill, he has me working on an open source project at the moment so it's not a high-pressure environment, and he's a lot more knowledgeable than me.
That's cool, I think small companies are good, at least they are when starting off because you're usually freer to pick up whatever things you want.
>>
>>53795428
>>Are you happy with your career in tech?
>No but it's easy money and an easy job.
>>Is there anything you would rather do?
>Move in to UX or something music related.

See this is what my thoughts were, web dev is pretty easy in a way, you're sat at a desk and you just hit a keyboard all day. But then that could make it sucky. I've also thought about UX because I love designing shit. Maybe I'll do a Master's in Graphic Design (when I look at dedicated UX jobs they almost always want a GD degree), then I'll have that mix of tech and UX skills, and maybe I can be head of UX for some big online retail company or something.
>>
>malware analyst
>nope
>work with embedded systems
>yup
>>
>>53795852
>I just read an SO answer to try and understand what asynch programming looks like in node (as I say I literally have no knowledge of node)
Just watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aGhZQkoFbQ
>>
>>53795980
>can everyone give me a stretch?
stopped there, thanks anyway
>>
>What's your job?
I have my own company. Working everyday for 3 mager avto-moto companies as webdev/designer and embedded systems development on the side
Yes. But I want to make another product that people would enjoy and use (I had one, but don't want to give away too much ingo).
I would rather do coke, sleep and buy all the hardware in the world.
Money.. Could get more, but that is allways true. Since I am high school dropout I get more than someone else in with my formal education.
Girls.. Have girlfriend of 5y now
Work.. I work 9+hours a day. No weekends no hobbies
Life.. I'm happy for now.
>>
>>53794911
>What's your job?
Project Manager for local public transit company
Pretty damn happy, yeah
Not really. My job's relaxing, I have standard work hours and make much more than i should
I make over 80k/yr working 40-45hr/wk with 20 days paid vacation per year. Also full benefits for myself/children/wife (no wife).
Have two sons and full custody. Have a pretty solid girlfriend who my kids love. We've discussed marriage but I want to think about it.
Life is easy.
I'll say that I went 6 years without sex after my first divorce from 22-28, though it didn't bother me much at the time.
>>
So for you web devs, do you have to create a lot of things off the top of your head? Can you describe a day of work (not the parts where you aren't actually working, please. It's nice to brag, but we hear enough of that) in detail?
>>
>What's your job?
Tech worker

Moderately

For work, no

Yes (mainly by not wanting girls)
>>
>>53796262
>Yes (mainly by not wanting girls)
You save a shitload of money by not being married, having kids, or even going clubbing. Having kids is probably the biggest money sink you'll ever deal with.
>>
>>53795980
Watching the first bit of it, I think the principle is pretty similar to in Ruby though, but maybe if I watch more of this it will turn out to be completely different
>>53796034
Nigga he seems like a pretty fucking normal dude to me, so many of these devs who do talks are complete fucking weirdos. The 'up next' video is of a dude wearing a fucking wizard's hat. With absolutely no fucking explanation whatsoever.
>>53796215
Is that an IT project manager then?
Does that mean you just manage the projects of developers and you don't have to do any tech work / programming yourself? Do you ever think 'maybe I'd like to actually write some of this stuff' or do you prefer being removed from it?
>>
>What's your job?
Government software developer working on a failing project
Contributing far more than most of the developers and get 0 credit. Government projects are also horrendously mismanaged too so I'm frustrated at the lack of organisation
work for myself
Engaged, good money, good pension, nice house, good prospects
>>
File: 1442076636811.jpg (231 KB, 1190x1118) Image search: [Google]
1442076636811.jpg
231 KB, 1190x1118
>>53796216
Bump
>>
File: 14540851957040-b.jpg (72 KB, 807x538) Image search: [Google]
14540851957040-b.jpg
72 KB, 807x538
>>53794911
>What's your job?
Web-macaco in 3rd world country. Focused on front end.

Yes, I like it. Btw, I want to move to a place with better salary. I'm looking for jobs in Europe and Singapore. But it won't bother me a lot if I fail to find a job abroad, since here I earn fucking huge amount of money for my country (1800 usd per month). Average people earn about 400 usd per month in province and about 800 in the capital.

I would like to create some highload music-related project.
>>Do you get enough of the things you want from life (money, girls, work/life balance, etc)?

I don't even know how to spend all the money I getting. Girls? I'm introvert as fuck person, therefore fully autonomous. Just want to change the location of my body out of this country.
>>
>>53796216
OP here, i.e. guy who did 18 months of web dev, then quit, and is now NEET (and needs a fucking job pronto)

>do you have to create a lot of things off the top of your head?

Do you mean like "do you know everything off the top of your head"? No I never have, and even when you're a pro, you're googling Stack Overflow answers every day to remember the right syntax for something, or how to make some CSS work, or whatever. But obviously there's a lot of stuff that you will retain knowledge of if you do it a lot.

>Can you describe a day of work

Arrive in the office for 9am

Make a coffee

Sit down and start working on the feature I was working on / the bug I was trying to fix / go on the bug tracker and see if there's anything urgent (unless it's real urgent I ain't touching it) / ask my boss for something to do if I have nothing to do (and of course make suggestions because I ain't no bitch)

That's the whole day really, although I like doing front-end and design work (graphics for our sites using Photoshop / Illustrator, and printed marketing materials with InDesign) so I tried to do as much of that as possible too. It's nice to be able to break the programming up with design work.

Also sometimes I had meetings to discuss upcoming features we needed to develop, and also weekly teleconferences with our partner companies (well, companies whose services we used) to check on our integration with their systems and make sure there were no bugs and whatever
>>
I feel like I could use some criticism.
>What's your job?
IT support scrub with a management position on the way.
meh
run my own business, but I am not willing to work so hard yet, my responsibilities are sort of light right now. (im 26, want to start a business at around 30)
I have what I need and more, starting to want a car so Ill get one soon.
>>
File: suicide_2.jpg (22 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
suicide_2.jpg
22 KB, 250x250
>>53794911

>help desk
>are you happy with your career in tech
pic related
>is there anything you would rather do
yes, work in desktop or network support, or something that gets me moving around and not taking phone calls all day, also making more money would be nice
>do you get enough things you want from life
I think so, I work standard forty hours, can work OT from home if I want to, have a few good friends, need to lose weight though being fat fucking sucks

Plus I am technically overqualified for my job o paper at least.
>>
>>53796281
>Having kids is probably the biggest money sink you'll ever deal with.
And yet it is the purpose of your life.

>>53796352
That sucks mang. Just don't do the extra work if you're getting nothing for it, what's the point? Good to hear you've set yourself up though

>>53796465
>macaco
Just googled it, guessing you're Brazilian then? Just because I wouldn't call Portugal third world but maybe you would.
>I would like to create some highload music-related project.
Play some music man, music is awesome. And go and perform it. It's a fucking thrill. I miss it a hell of a lot.

>>53796499
So does that mean you'll be managing IT support? Is that a good gig? As a developer I've always wondered what a job like that would be like, do you think it's better than developing?
>>
>>53796564
>And yet it is the purpose of your life.

Not to mention how life is going to suck ass if you have no one to help you out when you're old.
>>
>>53796491
That helps. What's an example of a "feature" that companies ask you for? Are they design features or more interactive features?
>>
>>53796564
>guessing you're Brazilian then?
No, actually I'm Russian. In russian language we say "вeб-мaкaкa", which means web-monkey. And "мaкaкa" sounds almost like brazilian word.
>>
>>53796564
yep, it depends on your social preferences, I interact with people all day long and enjoy that much more than just typing away code all day.
>>
>>53796619
> Having kids just for the hope of help by old age...
>>
>>53796491
Not that guy but this is something I find weird with the job of webdev.

So do you like make websites for different companies or do you just fix a website because it has bugs like you described? I mean how do you constantly have work? If say working for one company with one website then unless it's planned to be extremely complicated and to be worked on by like one guy or two wouldn't you have a complete website fairly soon. What I'm trying to say is don't you run out of shit to do? Don't you have to purposefully mess up or try doing things that are way over your head that your progress is almost at a crawl to really have some guy working on webdev stuff from 9-5 5 days a week? Or do you constantly just make a completely new system after the old one is perfected and bug free.

I'm sure what I'm saying doesn't make sense so I guess to be it in even shorter words: How do you not run out of things to do?

Also why did you quit and how much were you making?
>>
>>53796685
>implying implications

Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>53796632
>What's an example of a "feature" that companies ask you for?
At my job I implemented the Bootstrap front-end framework for our sites (allows you to easily make your site mobile-responsive so it looks good on smartphones). Also I did back-end features, like a feature where our users could upload a batch CSV file (which they could create with Excel), and our website would go through each entry in the file and complete each job. Before, you had to enter each one individually. The jobs are financial transactions by the way, I worked for a small finance company.
>Are they design features or more interactive features?
Depends. At bigger companies you will only do programming, and the UX/design stuff will be done by someone else (they'll give you a design and say 'make it look like this' - in my mind that's fucking shit, because I like designing things myself).

But anyway, that's a separate issue to the one of whether you do front-end or back-end programming. At a smaller company you will probably be a full-stack developer (doing both front-end and back-end), whereas at a bigger company you might just do one or the other. Front-end is all the stuff that is processed by the browser (HTML, CSS, JavaScript). This means that you're coding the layout of the site (which, as I said, you might not have designed, if someone else in your company has come up with the design artwork), but also interactive features that take place in the browser (e.g. on 4chan when you hover over post links and it shows you the post - that's JavaScript). Back-end programming is writing the code that is processed by the server, before the user sees the page. This may typically involve pulling records from the database (or inserting records), and it might involve interacting with a remote API (e.g. when our sites made those financial transactions that I mentioned, we had to call the API of our payment processor with the details of the transaction, so they could carry it out).
>>
>>53796302
>Is that an IT project manager then?
>Does that mean you just manage the projects of developers and you don't have to do any tech work / programming yourself? Do you ever think 'maybe I'd like to actually write some of this stuff' or do you prefer being removed from it?
Yeah, and no I don't write any code. I basically just make flow charts, manage how much we spend on development, and make sure we meet our deadlines. I think anybody with a high school degree and a college class or two could do my job.
I prefer to be removed from writing any code, but I help out if we're about to hit a deadline. I'm a pretty slow dude and would be pretty stressed out if I had to do the work that my team does, especially under the constraints I have to enforce. Not saying I'm an idiot, I graduated with a 3.8, but I'm shit with algorithms and I would be the slowest person on the team if I were writing code.
I'm hoping to work my way into upper management, but I'd be happy if I kept my position until I retire (should be able to retire at 53 if I don't have any emergencies/disasters).
I like to think I'm a good boss. I don't know of any other project managers who help with the programming, and I was able to give each of my team members a ~$4000 raise in salary, making them the highest paid programmers in our department.
I also managed to earn a hefty raise myself for our Q1 performance.

The numbers I'm listing are off by a bit. I'm probably being paranoid, but I don't want to risk the chance of being linked back to 4chan.
>>
>>53795165
>He fell for the crossfit meme
>>
File: 1276738090501.gif (44 KB, 468x480) Image search: [Google]
1276738090501.gif
44 KB, 468x480
Oh shit this thread is perfect for me

I'm a business student majoring in MIS. I have a project where I need to research careers related to my major. I have most of my stuff done (Bureau of Labor Statistics is great), but I also wanna ask some general questions to you guys working in the field.

Here's the stuff I'm generally interested in:

What is your job title?

What was your career path to this job? (IT Intern=>Helpdesk=>Jr position?)

What are your responsibilities at this current position?

Advantages/Disadvantages of current position?

Typical work Routine?

Why did you choose this position?

What kind of education did you have?

What kind of industry qualifications do you have?

What made you get into IT?

What are some of the changes occurring in this field?

How are career prospects for college graduates in your opinion?

Are you part of any professional associations?

Any Resume tips you could give to greenhorns?

Any special advice you could give to students?

If you guys have any career researching advice, I greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>53796663
Ah I see. Yeah I just googled it and it said it was the Portuguese word for monkey.

>>53796675
Fair enough, do you think it is quite a sociable job then? I definitely get frustrated with coding all day, so perhaps I should look at IT management because I would prefer to interact with people more. The thing that I've always thought about support though is, does it just feel like you're everybody else's bitch? Because you're never making anything, you're literally just putting out fires that stupid people have made.
>>
>>53796685
I had my first kid on accident, second one so he'd have a sibling. The first couple of years were fucking terrible, even ended up getting a divorce, but they're just getting to the age where I don't have to carry them on backpacking trips, and my oldest goes running with me in the morning.
I've gotta say, it's pretty rewarding.
>>
>>53796934
Great! Why the fuck did you quit?
>>
>>53797008
Dial it back, junior.
>>
>>53796687
>So do you like make websites for different companies
No. I was working for a small financial company, ~10 people. We had a handful of websites, each for our different products. Users log into these websites to pay into their account, conduct transactions, etc. Me and my boss were the only two people who developed and maintained these websites (although he used many contractors before me).
>do you just fix a website because it has bugs like you described?
Probably 50/50 between building new features for our customers (or for new products), and fixing bugs.
>I mean how do you constantly have work?
There are always bugs. But if I couldn't be arsed to fix bugs (if it was just small ones that didn't really matter) then I might suggest something to my boss for a new feature that either I or we could make. There was always work to do on these websites, we had hundreds of customers doing thousands of pounds worth of transactions a day - inevitably it doesn't all go smoothly.
>If say working for one company with one website then unless it's planned to be extremely complicated and to be worked on by like one guy or two wouldn't you have a complete website fairly soon.
If you were working for like a website agency (which we weren't) then you would develop a website for a customer then hand it off to them. You might also do ongoing maintenance if they have paid for it. I see what you mean, like 'once it's done, isn't it done?'. No, not if it's a complex interactive site. Servers, which sites run on, are fallible. They have power cuts, network problems, or overload if too many people are accessing the site at once. All of these things cause corruptions of data, which need fixing.
>Also why did you quit
Because it was fucking pissing me off. But I think I've realised I need to manage my work better. To stand up for myself and say "no fuck off" if I'm already busy, or if something isn't my fucking job.
>and how much were you making?
£25k
>>
>What's your job?
devops engineer
so far I think I'm on the right path, although I do feel like I'm missing something or could be more fulfilled
work for a startup or have my own startup
do something / create something I believe in and feel like I'm contributing to something meaningful
money is ok
work/life is a bit uneven right now but that's mainly due to my commute
I'm a pretty sociable guy and like to go out but I sure as hell don't know how to talk to grills in that kind of way
>>
>>53795852
>So being a SW engineer is no barrier to getting girls?
nah, my work isn't that time consuming like i thought it would be. i have time for girls. just try not to talk about arch linux when you have a girl over and you'd be fine
>>
>>53796941
Nice thanks for the good answer.

How old are you now if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe I should apply for a job like that, I'm sure I could do it, but I think... working as a middle manager, instead of creating something... dunno. My impression is that it would be less mentally demanding which is good. However I guess the advantage with coding is that I might come up with some crazy good idea and then go found my own start-up. That's the dream really. Working for myself.
>>
>>53796986
Go fuck yourself you autistic /fit/ twat
>>
>>53797008
Please say you don't expect anybody to answer all those questions

What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>53797050
Because I'm dumb. I felt pressured into taking the job in the first place by a family """"friend"""", which pissed me off. And I found the job stressful sometimes. And I started having grievances with people which I should have resolved but didn't. That's an easy one to fix thankfully, next time I just need to say "no" when I'm already doing my damn job.

But yeah I think I need a job again. All my mates are earning bank and I'm sitting in my mum's house at 2am on a Thursday night, shitposting on 4chins
>>
>>53797295
Good to hear. You see so many people on /g/ who are complete weirdos when it comes to girls so it's good to see people with real tech jobs aren't so weird.
>>
File: vista support.jpg (61 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
vista support.jpg
61 KB, 450x675
>>53794911

>What's your job?
managed services admin for an IT firm
they bought me a nespresso machine so i could work from home. yes.
an outdoor job would be good. but they tend to not pay as well or need schooling. i have no degree or certs.
im married, i make enough to buy things i want sometimes and im saving to buy a house. my commute is 20ft from my bed to my desk. and as soon as im off i can walk into my front yard and garden. so yes.
>>
>>What's your job?
Work for a local PC repair shop
Yeah
Nope
>>Do you get enough of the things you want from life (money, girls, work/life balance, etc)?
I get a living wage plus some, I'm happy
>>
>>53796564
>As a developer I've always wondered what a job like that would be like, do you think it's better than developing?

developer "FUCK THIS SHIT WHY WONT YOU COMPILE"
it "FUCK THIS SHIT WHY DO YOU KEEP DOWNLOADING VIRUSES"

do you really want to know what tech support is like at all levels? go to sign up at yahoo answers and start answering tech questions. do this for at least 8 hours a day for a week. thats tech support. right. fucking. there.
>>
>>53797300
In my early 30's.
I recommend this career path to everybody who asks, or who doesn't know what they want to do but know that they want to get into tech. It's the easiest job in the world. You aren't really creating anything, you really just manage your team and control what makes it up the chain and what gets shut-down. As far as ideas go, you really just sort out ideas that your team members think up, and you never actually need to bring any 'ideas' to upper management, but it can get you a raise if you prove that your team has a good idea project proposal.

Also, If you get your MiMS or MIS, you'll be in the perfect situation to create a startup. Startups are changing in a pretty big way right now. 'Angel Investors' are expecting more stable returns, and are toning down the gambling they've been doing over the past decade or so. If you're able to bring forward solid, stable projections with your proposal, investors are going to be much more likely to invest in your company over your competition. I have friends who build startups, it seems insanely stressful.
Most aren't taking the route you see on Silicon Valley, or that you think about when you hear "Startup". Most will only build the company until it's stable and profitable, then they sell it to a larger company (Oracle loves buying these). You don't need to find an angel investor, and if you do, it's for a small share because you won't need much money.

I thought I would want to work for myself when I was going through school. I'm not the most social, and never liked managing projects. In the actual work environment, though, you're really just making sure they're on schedule, and if they aren't on schedule, you find a way to bring them up to speed. It's probably different from what you'd imagine, but I feel like I'm writing a wall of text here and need to go pickup dinner in a bit. I'd be down to answer some questions if you're interested when I get back. I'll check back on the thread.
>>
>>53794911
>>What's your job
Software engineer for an NLP library
Yes
Be rich and retire.
Yes
>>
>What's your job?
Software Developer

So far I am.

Not really, I was interested in Architecture but not enough to actually study it.

The money is fine(87k/yr) and my gf is good too. I'm starting to value work/life balance more than money, and am passively seeking a remote job since I just started a new job on Feb 1st.
>>
>>53797010
any good manager requieres strong social skills, you can feel like a bitch if you put yourself in that position, I rather got pretty appreciated for helping them out which felt quite rewarding (I am efficient as fuck compared to my peers).
>>
>>53797475
that sounds comfy bro...Also outdoor jobs are awesome in my experience.
>>
>>53797475
does it upset your wife that you work from home? for some reason i hear that some women are irrationally buttblasted over this
>>
>>53796687
> What I'm trying to say is don't you run out of shit to do?

You will never run out of shit to do in software. No matter how 'complete' the application/site is, the customer/company will always want to add new shit and each feature that is added has the potential to create new bugs as well.
>>
>>53795852
>>53797406

literally fuck off to reddit you fucking faggot
>>
>>53797247
>£25k

a year? Damn dude. Normally I would say that is not to bad for no experience/education (I think that was you not sure) but since the euro dropped hard that's pretty low.

Well not that bad for again no education no experience. Do you feel like you just asked for that salary and you could have gotten more but the experience was more valuable? Considering you have like a year and a half you could prob ask for like maybe closer to 30k at your next job? Anyways with the math I did I think that comes out to nearly 15/hr USD. I'd be pretty glad to make that money in my opinion. I was making around 12.75 at my customer service job. I had the same problem where I would do work that I really shouldn't be doing for others. Mainly cause I was a nice guy. I had my managers tell me multiple times I need to cut that shit out and let other departments do their work so I feel you. I left partially that reason and it was also a friend who got me that job. That person got referral money off of me. I too am now living with my mom really wanting to get web dev up so I can make at least around 15/hr so I can move out as I live in a sorta expensive area (700-900 usd monthly rent 1 bedroom) and also save up for college.

I really fuggin feel you
>>
>>53794911
>>What's your job?
EDI Analyst -- data comes in, data goes out, and I have to explain it.

Yep, good amount of challenge, ample room for advancement, and so far the people I work with are only about 25% retards/assholes.

Not really. Besides, I am apparently pretty good at what I do, which feels good.

Pay is decent -- enough to support my wife while she gets her teaching credential. I also work from home 50% of the time, leaving ample room for hobbies and shitposting.

All in all, I'd say I have it pretty good.
>>
>>53798080
Telecommuter here. My wife doesn't mind, and it kind of puzzles me why it would bother anyone's spouse. She's currently in training for a teaching credential and is home a lot as well, so we get to hang out most of the time and have lunch/sex together etc.
>>
1. Director of Tehcnology
2. Yep, but it's a little boring
3. I'd really like to build custom cars
4. I do, but more money would be nice.
>>
File: 1457812017451.jpg (6 KB, 215x204) Image search: [Google]
1457812017451.jpg
6 KB, 215x204
>>53794911
>What's your job?
work at health food store
im not in tech
be a pro strongman
yes they pay really well and give benefits + payed time off
>>
I want to die.
>>
File: evry1sotstupid.jpg (71 KB, 360x403) Image search: [Google]
evry1sotstupid.jpg
71 KB, 360x403
>>53800025
^^^lel look at the fag over here^^^
>>
>>53794911
>What's your job?
Systems Engineer (Linux provisoning, automation and debugging) at a company you've heard of.
Overall yes I suppose but I feel pressured comstantly to work long hours or take on projects in my free time to keep up, the pace can be unbearable at times.
Make music or honestly nothing. The thought of working for 40 years is depressing regardless of the field/activity.
No significant other but that is my own fault, work/life balance is poor, but at least I have enough cash to do what I want on the rare occasion I'm not exhausted.
>>
>>53794911
> >Do you get enough of the things you want from life (money,

I made good money until I developed a career-ending bulged cervical disc.

>girls,

Ha! You know, most of the people I know who are in happy long-term relationships either met in college or on the job. You know how many women I've come across in tech companies? Maybe ten. Eight of them were in sales or marketing. The other two were nice enough, ugly older married women.

> work/life balance, etc)?

Bro, we're looking for PASSIONATE people who know how to be TEAM PLAYERS where are you going it's only six o'clock, you've got outstanding bugs. Management is heading to the pub, but you better hit the Friday launch target or else.
>>
>>53798424
>it kind of puzzles me why it would bother anyone's spouse

She doesn't get enough "me" time with her husband there all the time.
>>
>>53795330
>You will have to get used to asynchronous programming as I don't think Ruby has that,

How can a language not have asynchronous programming? It's not like multithreading. Anything that has callbacks (native API or your own) is now asynchronous programming.
>>
File: 1459386937241.jpg (51 KB, 591x855) Image search: [Google]
1459386937241.jpg
51 KB, 591x855
>>53794911
>What's your job?
Warehouse worker for a major automotive Manufacturer.
Not in tech. I have a 2 year degree in Network Administration and am enrolling in a 4 year school soon to pursue my education further. On my company's dime of course. Plan is to get the 4 year and stay within my current company's ecosystem. Just go after jobs that my degree opens to me.
There are days that I contemplate sawing my own arm off so I can go home. The job is monotonous and soul sucking but it pays the bills.
Money and benefits of the job are great. 90% of the time I have Saturday and Sunday off. Mon-Fri though my schedule sucks. I work 1:30PM to 12:15AM. Job gives me enough to pay for all my bills and start saving for my house (maybe condo?).

For a single guy of 24, intermediate pay scale, and probably 5/10 looks, no. I don't get nearly enough women for my liking. Then again I don't actively look because I hate myself and don't consider myself worth their time. But this is /g/ after all so that should be known.

>I'm happy I swear.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.